News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Why does every call drop and nothing gets logged?

Started by catmandude, July 23, 2017, 12:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catmandude

Using g voice with OBi200. Support said to enable dmz hosting in my router (netgear 2200). That didn't work. I tried deleting/ re-installing and hard reset. That didn't work. I tried entering my routers ip numbers,etc into my accounts advanced configuration page. That didn't work. Tried different cordless & corded phones. No help, every damn call made or received drops within minutes and checking log there is nothing there, no events log. Digging further in "t-shooting support" I noticed a bunch of port numbers to add to router and that was it. Well my router port config page has only one port start and one port end and one host, so that won't work. Obi's support has been the worst I have seen yet. No help & no more responses to what would seem like many possibilities to get this resolved.
Any help here? Perhaps users are more knowledgeable than OBi support techs. :'(

catmandude

Simply, all calls drop quickly. How do I fix this?

drgeoff

1. You have not told us which ITSP(s) you are using.

2. You have not told us what logs you are looking at.

3. Port opening is not the same as port forwarding. While most home routers have the latter, none of the dozens I have encountered had the former. Anyway, fiddling with ports and DMZ is rarely required.

4. Try temporarily connecting the OBi directly to your modem, ie remove the router. If you have set the OBi to fixed IP address parameters, change back to DHCP.

catmandude

1. Verizon
2. configuration "logs"page logs on Obitalk.com
3. Netgear router supplied by Verizon, it has port forwarding, but that is NOT applicable here.
And Obitalks t-shooting page lists a boatload of ports to "keep open" which is impossible on my router because my router only can have one "port start" & "port end" and one "host" port.
Obitalk support told me to enable DMZ.
4. There is no modem! If I remove the router, I remove the dial tone! WTH?
5. After multiple attempts with Obihai support, they determined the Obi200 box is DEFECTIVE.
Hmmm, no wonder why the lack of replies here in the forums.
6. GOODBYE P>O>S  Obi....not work the headache, Here's my dropped call. >:(

drgeoff

Quote from: catmandude on July 26, 2017, 10:30:17 AM
1. Verizon
2. configuration "logs"page logs on Obitalk.com
3. Netgear router supplied by Verizon, it has port forwarding, but that is NOT applicable here.
And Obitalks t-shooting page lists a boatload of ports to "keep open" which is impossible on my router because my router only can have one "port start" & "port end" and one "host" port.
Obitalk support told me to enable DMZ.
4. There is no modem! If I remove the router, I remove the dial tone! WTH?
5. After multiple attempts with Obihai support, they determined the Obi200 box is DEFECTIVE.
Hmmm, no wonder why the lack of replies here in the forums.
6. GOODBYE P>O>S  Obi....not work the headache, Here's my dropped call. >:(
2.  Those are not logs.
3. Yes putting the OBi in the router's DMZ can sometimes be a helpful troubleshooting step but only in extreme cases is that required permanently.  But in addition to enabling the DMZ you need to put the OBi in the DMZ.  Did you know how to do that or did Obihai tech people talk you through it?
4.  My mistake.  My quick glance at a picture of the 2200's ports, I mistook the silver socket to be ethernet WAN.  But I don't understand your comment about dial tone.  OBis give dial tone even with nothing plugged in to the ethernet socket. Or was 'dial tone' a poor way of saying 'internet access'?
5. Maybe your Obi is defective, maybe not.  It is a convenient cop out for someone to say that it is. Gets you off his back.  Sounds like you have given up so in that sense it was a successful ploy.  Although I have a pretty jaundiced view of Obihai tech support, from both the substance and the tone of your posts here maybe you were not easy to work with.