News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice to Callcentric forwarding experiences?

Started by Swiz, October 27, 2017, 10:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swiz

About six months ago, I purchased an ObiHai and set it up with GV. I also configured a free DID (914) Callcentric number to do 911/CNAM using the setup instructions on this forum. Outbound calls were straight through GV and inbound calls were forwarded to CC.

This setup seemed to work great at first, but then some of my friends began to complain about long delays before the phone would ring. I began testing inbound calls and the delays could be 45+ seconds before the phone began to ring, if it rang at all. Sometimes the caller would never get through and would be stuck in an endless ringing loop. Other times everything worked fine. I could make a call one minute and had no issues. After hanging up, I would ring my number again and experience a long delay or no ringing at all. Nothing made sense.

I updated the firmware on the ObiHai and completely reset the device several times, but it made no difference. After reading about other people having issues on this forum a while back, I decided to pull Callcentric out of the config. All of my problems instantly went away and Obi+GV has worked flawlessly ever since. Clearly there is a forwarding issue between GV and CC for some users, but I had no luck trying to work with CC on it. They didn't seem to think the issue was on their side, which could be true.

Are people still experiencing issues like this? What is your current experience like if you are forwarding to CC from GV? What free DID area code did you receive? I really would like to have CNAM or at least the ability to identify a few friends by name on my phone. But, if there are still strange issues between CC and GV, then I can still live without it.

GPz1100

We have a callcentric free did starting with areacode & prefix 914-495. 

Dialing that number directly from hangouts results in it ringing almost immediately.  It takes about a second to start ringing when dialing the gv # that forwards to the callcentric number.  Finally, dialing from a cell phone to the gv number (which forwards to the callcentric #) is almost immediate once I hear the ring sound on the cell phone.  Granted, it takes about 3-4 seconds to hear the cell phone ear piece generate the ring sound.  This is an issue with the cellphone/service, not gv or callcentric.

I do recall reading either on here or maybe reddit some time ago about users having issues/delays with certain callcentric free DID numbers.  That was some time ago (a year or more).

If you believe you've narrowed it down to the issue being between gv and callcentric, I'd contact callcentric to see what they can do.  If nothing else, perhaps getting a free did in a different exchange might help.

Swiz

If we called the GV (forwarding turned off) or CC numbers directly, there were no issues. They both rang instantly. It was only when forwarding was configured the issue showed up. If we called from a cell or a landline, the behavior was the same. Sometimes there would be a long delay and other times it would ring immediately. The experience was consistently inconsistent.

Callcentric said it was a GV problem. I just found it strange how some users like myself experienced the problem and others did not. Maybe I'll try a different free DID and see if I have different results.

GPz1100

Few more threads on the topic:

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12427.0
https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12426

Seems this issue comes and goes.  Lots of finger pointing from both gv and cc.  Ultimately the problem is probably a gv routing issue.  Good luck getting it resolved.  Easiest solution is a new DID. How?  Probably as simple as deleting the product then readding?