News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

The OBI200 shows off hook status when all the phones are on hook

Started by mtmind8, July 28, 2017, 10:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtmind8

There are 5 wall jacks in the house and I took off all the phones for testing.  The wiring is correct because it was done by the phone company and the phones were working fine for years.  The supply line from the phone company was disconnected and the wall jacks are only connected within the house.  One of the jack seemed to be bad.  I took it off the wall and left all 4 wires (red, green, black and yellow) separated.  I then connected the OBI and the phones to the wall jacks one at a time and finally all 3 phones.  All seemed to be fine and was able to make phone calls.  However, the next morning, the phones were not working again and the OBI was in off hook status.  Strange, why did it work for a while?  How to fix?  Is there still a short somewhere​​?  Would replacing all the jacks help?   Is the OBI bad?  It  works with one phone connected to it directly now.  The settings are all set to default.  We are using Google Voice, but quality of the voice is very bad on the other side.  Our side is good.  We need to get a better network service.  There are a lot of discussions on this issue under another topic.  Please see the following link for more information:

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10872.0

drgeoff

If you are not getting "off-hook" when one phone is directly plugged in to the OBi, then the OBi is not bad.

Is there any sign of dampness, verdigris, corrosion, fungus etc in any of the wall sockets? That can give a varying resistance between the two wires. Sometimes that will pass enough current to appear as off-hook. Sometimes the brief spurt of AC ringing voltage can temporarily 'burn' that off but the symptoms will reappear sooner or later.

What exactly do you mean by 'quality of the voice is very bad'? Is that happening even when only one phone is plugged directly into the OBi?

mtmind8

Yes, the suspicious jack I took off is in the basement.  The wires are not touching each other now.  There is another one in the basement laundry room.  Will replacing all the jacks help?   What about the wiring inside the walls?

People complain about not hearing us because the voice keeps cutting out, even when only one phone is plugged directly into the Obi.  I was hoping to use a hotspot from Sprint to connect the phones in my home after cutting the landline.  Apparently it does not work.  I ran the  connection assessment tests from the other link and the results were bad.  We need a better network connection.  There is no difference after making the following changes to my OBI200, as suggested by Shale in https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=232.20

"Configuration
  Physical Interfaces
    Phone 1->ChannelTxGain   = -3
    Phone 1->ChannelRxGain   = 12"

SteveInWA

It's unfortunate that you chose to start a new discussion thread, as it just creates repeats of the same suggestions and questions already discussed here:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10872.0

Without personally performing the electrical tests at your house, I can't fix your wiring problem via a forum discussion.  You need a qualified electrician.  Your best alternative would be to abandon the house wiring and simply use a cordless phone base station plugged into the OBi.

Nonetheless, this whole discussion is pointless if you are still trying to use a Sprint hotspot as your internet service.  It simply won't be sufficient.