News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't configure providers after factory reset

Started by Lewy1, August 04, 2011, 01:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lewy1

Yesterday, all of a sudden my device stopped registering to Localphone.com, even though I could connect to their servers from a softphone. Finally I decided to do a factory reset. Since than I can't configure either providrrs through obitalk.com. Even after filling out the providers info and clicking on submit, it still is showing up as not configured. Would appreciate some help.
Thanks

RonR

I can't help you with OBiTALK Web Portal issues as I don't use it, but I will recommend to you that you keep a current backup of your OBi configuration by using:

System Management -> Device Update -> Backup Configuration

any time you make significant changes to the OBi.

This will permit you to restore your configuration at any time by using:

System Management -> Device Update -> Restore Configuration

regardless of whether the OBiTALK Web Portal is functional or not.

Lewy1

Thanks. I think I have a current backup but am trying a fresh start because of the problem I had.

QBZappy

Lewy1,

Have a look here on your local OBi web unit and decide how you want the OBi to be configured. Expert (OBI portal) or local unit method.

System Management>Auto Provisioning>Method = Disabled (ect...)
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

RonR

Reconfiguring from the OBiTALK Web Portal won't do anything for you that direct configuration or restoring a backup won't do.

The backup file is a collection of setting values, not a binary image backup of the OBi contents.  Consequently, it's unlikely a backup will contain any corrupted data (and if it did, you'd likely spot it looking at non-Default setting values).  I've never used the OBiTALK Web Portal and have restored from backup files countless times without ever needing to start over.

Lewy1

@QBZappy
After a factory reset it should be set to defaults and provisioning should be enabled. I did double check and it's set to "Periodically" as opposed to the dfault "System start". It's possible that it was changed after I restored from a backup.

@RonR
The backup worked, but I still have a problem if I want to change my provider, unless "I get my hands dirty" with expert mode. I would still like the option of en easy painless setup (which happens to be one of the Obi's selling points!)
Thanks guys for your advice.

QBZappy

Lewy1,

Until you disable it, you will be getting OBi config from the OBi portal.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Lewy1

That's what I thought, but i tried quite a few times after factory reset and had no success, as stated above. So I'm hoping someone can help me figure out why.
Thanks 

RonR

Quote from: Lewy1 on August 04, 2011, 02:25:04 PM
The backup worked, but I still have a problem if I want to change my provider, unless "I get my hands dirty" with expert mode.

Just for info...

OBi Expert Mode is simply an extenson of the 'simple' configuraion part of the OBiTALK Web Portal.  If the
'simple' configuration part isn't working, Expert Mode isn't either.

Quote from: Lewy1 on August 04, 2011, 02:25:04 PM
I would still like the option of en easy painless setup (which happens to be one of the Obi's selling points!)

Like you're currently experiencing?   :-\

Lewy1

Expert mode is an extension of the web portal when configuring from the web portal, but when configuring on local network it works fine.

RonR

Quote from: Lewy1 on August 04, 2011, 03:11:01 PM
Expert mode is an extension of the web portal when configuring from the web portal, but when configuring on local network it works fine.

When you configure the OBi locally, you're talking to the OBi directly and there's nothing in between to break down.  There's no OBi Expert Mode involved when you configure the OBi directly and you're not at the mercy of anything else.

Lewy1

Of course, I understand that configuring locally works because I'm talking directly to the device. Anyway, I still don't know why the web portal isn't working. Again I appreciate all of your advice.

QBZappy

Lewy1,

To fully understand the Expert mode, you need to understand what those check marks mean on the portal. You have to know when to leave or remove a check mark.

OBiSupport

Lewy1,

We recommend users taking full advantage of OBiTALK web portal for configuration. This not only saves much time and effort on the user side, but also allow our support team to sync up to your setting, and facilitate a remote diagnostic.

Hope you have everything figured out well. If not, please contact our support team at support@obihai.com. We will assist you from there. Thanks,

Lewy1

Thanks. I will let you know if I have trouble again. Right now everything is working again.