News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Caller ID comes up as someone else's Name. How do I correct it to mine?

Started by BedBor, August 16, 2017, 07:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BedBor

I have the OBi100 and use my google voice number.  When calling certain people, just the town name and phone number comes up in the caller ID and when calling others they say it comes up as someone elses name. 

I tried calling my other Google Hangouts number and discovered that it does come up with someone elses name.  So I can verify what others have said is true. 

So, just wondering how I would correct this with my name instead?  Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

SteveInWA

Hi:

Short answer:  you can't.

Longer answer:  there are two separate parts to Caller ID in the US:  the caller ID number, and the caller ID name (CNAM).  The number is sent along with the call routing; the called party's telephone company knows the number and can display it to the called party. 

The name isn't sent with the call.  Instead, the called party's telephone company has to look it up in a database of numbers and their associated names.  These databases (LIDB) cost money to maintain.  Google Voice doesn't feed its users names into the LIDB, nor does it fetch names for inbound calls.  So, the called party's telco substitutes the name of the city or state to which your telephone number belongs.

Consumers don't have access to the databases, so you can't update it yourself.