News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Newbie trying to setup Obi202 with Google Voice

Started by HahnyHohenheim, December 21, 2019, 10:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HahnyHohenheim

Hi,

I'm a newbie to this with intermediate tech skills and have been having a hard time getting my device to work properly.  I followed some of the basic setup screens and have had issues at the "Add device" screen.

Add device issues:
  "The number you've dialed **5 XXXX has been sent to the server" (repeated 3x).  

Then the timeout counts down and at around 80 seconds gives me a dial tone.  

After the countdown I receive the following message:
  "Failed to connect to your device. Please check your device's internet connection:

I followed the following advice from the Troubleshooting page, but got nowhere:

Unable to add device to OBiTALK
   Are you able to reach the Echo Test Server by dialing * * 9 222-222-222?

From <https://www.obitalk.com/info/support/troubleshooting>

Reboot both your router and the OBi device, then dial * * 9 222-222-222 again. If you are still unable to reach the Echo Test Server, please put the OBi device in the DMZ setting in your router's configuration/ This tells your router to not block any incoming network traffic (from your service provider) to your OBi device. It is safe for the OBi to be in the DMZ (Click HERE to see example).Try adding your device to OBiTALK again.

From <https://www.obitalk.com/info/support/troubleshooting>

My lights read: two left most are solid green (2nd flashes like it's transmitting data when I pick it up).  3rd light is blank.  4th light blinks green 1x/sec when I pick up the phone.

Can anyone help me get started with this?  

drgeoff

It is very rare that an OBi needs to be put in a router's DMZ.

OBis do not support pulse dialling. Check that your phone is using tone dialling.

HahnyHohenheim

My phone uses tone dialing.  The paragraph about DMZ was what was suggested by ObiTalk Troubleshooting based on the fact that my power light was solid green and I could not make calls out or receive calls. 

Is there a better source of information for getting the networking part of this setup? 

I've already created numerous forwarding rules for the various TCP and UDP ports outgoing. 

I've also noticed that it requires an incoming UDP port for 10000 (which was also a port outgoing as well).
I'm using a Motorola MG7540, but cannot see (in the instruction manual or in the advanced settings) how to create an outgoing port.

HahnyHohenheim

I've solved the issue here (even though my router is a different model).
   - https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/Troubleshooting-sec/motorola-sbg900

The issue seems to be that while all the incoming ports were forwarded correctly, the firewall needed to be disabled on a Motorola router/gateway.

I must admit that I'm curious to know why one would need to disable a firewall to be able to set this up properly.  I'm assuming this is related to Motorola not having a section where one can setup outgoing ports on UDP (only incoming).  Thus, the firewall as a whole needed to be disabled.  Is that correct? 

Sheffield_Steve

It's never a good idea to disable a firewall and the fact that you had to do that to make it work, points to the fact that you have a router configuration error.

The Obi devices are clients, (as is internet explorer) and almost never do you need addition configuration to make this work on consumer grade routers.  Have you configured the firewall/router at some point?