News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

can't enable wan access to webserver for obi 202

Started by Paco, August 20, 2017, 03:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paco

I want to enable access to the obi202 device's web page.  I can do this of course if my computer is plugged into the lan port on the obi instead of to my internet router, but I want to be able to access it with the normal configuration (computer plugged into internet isp router).   I have done the phone procedure (***0, 30# etc) but still can't access the page.  Logging into obitalk.com and going to expert configuration , device administration , access from WAN    shows that under "value"  the box is unchecked and shaded out, and the box for "obitalk settings"  is checked.  If "device default" is checked then the box under "value" is still unchecked.  (Anyway,  I think the default for 202 is disabled)  There seems to be no way to check the box "value".   Can anyone help me?

SteveInWA

You need to un-check both boxes to the right of the setting, to enable editing that setting.  Be sure to click "Submit" after making your change.

Paco

Ok, with that I was able to check the box "value", thanks.  I clicked submit, and I still can't access the page.  On expert configuration at obi portal, I noticed that the "value" box (which is now checked) has a red exclamation mark next to it, and the "obitalk settings" (which is unchecked) has a black star next to it.   What do these mean?   I checked the web page directly by plugging the computer into the lan port on the obi device, and these two marks are not there.  (The value box is enabled).   I have waited 20 minutes for the change to take hold, but still no joy.  Any suggestions?

SteveInWA

The red ! simply means that you have edited/changed the value from the default.  It doesn't indicate anything being wrong.

By default, settings made on the OBiTALK web portal will automatically override settings made on the device's local web page.  So, seeing the values being changed for you, on the local web page, is to be expected.

I don't know what is causing your inability to access the website over the WAN port.

Paco

When the computer is plugged into the obi lan port, the ip address which works for access to the web page is
192.168.10.1   When I try this in normal configuration, it comes up "site not found"   (I am using xubuntu 14.04 os)  Is it possible that I need to use a different ip in normal config?   And the ip for my internet router is different than 192.168.10.1, so there is no conflict there.

SteveInWA

When you connect via the OBi's LAN port, the OBi is acting as a router and DNS server, and it is assigning your computer's network adapter that 192.168 IP address.  You can't access it on the WAN side via that address.

You need to access it on the WAN side via the IP address that your internet router assigns to the OBi.  Pick up the phone attached to the OBi and key in ***1, and the OBi will speak the IP address you need to use.

Paco

Okay, I called that number and it gave me 192.168.0.13 , which works perfectly.  Thank you very much

DrCyKosis

Thanks Steve! 

I was having the same issue, and unchecking both did the trick!  Wish Obi would have included that little chestnut of info in their article.