News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Basic call forward to Obitalk 200

Started by artyzipp, August 23, 2017, 08:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artyzipp

I am thinking of picking up the Obitalk 200 to help us put down the smart phones. The idea is that when I get home from work, I want to put my phone away, and have all calls to my smart phone just go to the Google Voice number setup on the Obi. What is the easiest way to do it?

artyzipp

I think I figured out that the basic forwarding setting on my smartphone to the google voice number is the way to go. **21*Number# for my T-mobile line

Taoman

Couldn't tell by your posts whether you have your cell as a forwarding number in Google Voice or not. If so, you'll need to choose whether you want forwarded calls to go directly to Google Voice voicemail or to ring your other GV forwarding phones (including your OBi) first.

Depending on your needs you may want to make the forward conditional rather than unconditional. Configuring it as unconditional means you'll have to remember to cancel the forward every time you want to receive calls on your cell again. I have always used a conditional call forward (CCF) on my cell phone(s). As long as you're ok with using GV voicemail for your cell phone voicemail it's set it once and forget it.

* * 62 * PhoneNumber#

artyzipp

Thanks for the follow up. I will probably stick with unconditional, since I don't want to use my smartphone much at all when home. I might even see if I can get ITTT to work with dialing the forwarding codes when I connect to the home wifi.

Taoman

Quote from: artyzipp on August 23, 2017, 12:13:43 PM
Thanks for the follow up. I will probably stick with unconditional, since I don't want to use my smartphone much at all when home. I might even see if I can get ITTT to work with dialing the forwarding codes when I connect to the home wifi.

You would get the same effect as unconditional if you turned your cell phone off (or enabled airplane mode) when you got home.

But using an automation app like IFTTT (or Llama or Trigger or Tasker, etc) could also be a good solution.

SteveInWA

You're using Google Voice backwards.  It's designed to forward calls from your Google Voice number to your cell phone number(s).  Add and verify your cell phone number(s) as forwarding/linked phone numbers.

You then set up conditional call forwarding on the cell phone, to forward unanswered or busy calls to your Google Voice number.

Then, on the Google Voice Legacy settings page, Phones tab, click "show advanced settings", and then, on the next page, change "Forwarding options" to "Ring my other phones before going to voicemail ".  Save your settings.

If you don't want to use your cell phone while you are home, then just turn it off.  Calls made to the cell phone number will forward to your Google Voice number, which will forward to your OBi device.  If you don't want to answer the call, it will go to Google Voice's voicemail.