News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Dialing Obi Number from another SIP account

Started by yfh_obi, August 28, 2017, 10:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yfh_obi

I have Obi 200 that comes with a 6 digits obi number.  I can call any obi number from my Obi 200 by dialing **9xxx-xxx.  If I want to dial an obi number using a SIP software or another SIP adapter what will be the full address I should use (I guess it is called URI).  In other words the syntax for dialing any sip number will be xxxxxx@xxxx.xxx.  For obi what should I write after the @ to reach the Obi number from another non-obi sip account?

Thanks
Y

drgeoff

Quote from: yfh_obi on August 28, 2017, 10:23:05 AM
I have Obi 200 that comes with a 6 digits obi number.  I can call any obi number from my Obi 200 by dialing **9xxx-xxx.  If I want to dial an obi number using a SIP software or another SIP adapter what will be the full address I should use (I guess it is called URI).  In other words the syntax for dialing any sip number will be xxxxxx@xxxx.xxx.  For obi what should I write after the @ to reach the Obi number from another non-obi sip account?

Thanks
Y

You are mistaken about at least the following two things:

1. OBi numbers that you can dial with the **9 prefix are 9 digits not 6.

2. You cannot reach an OBi device using its 9 digit number from a SIP device.

It is often possible to use a SIP client to call an OBi device if you know its IP address and it is reachable. Typically this will require port forwarding if the OBi has a non-routeable IP address behind a NAT router.

yfh_obi

Thank you for the correction.  I meant the 9 digits obi number.  Is it possible to mask the Obi number with a DID?   I have another question.  Is the basic service for Obi (not Google voice) is standard SIP or a different protocol is used?

drgeoff

Quote from: yfh_obi on August 30, 2017, 04:14:57 PM
Thank you for the correction.  I meant the 9 digits obi number.  Is it possible to mask the Obi number with a DID?   I have another question.  Is the basic service for Obi (not Google voice) is standard SIP or a different protocol is used?
I don't understand what "mask the Obi number with a DID" means.

OBi devices support 3 protocols:

SIP

Obitalk. No published details. Believed to be proprietary but based on SIP. The previously offered Obion client for PC appeared to be some sort of 'wrapper' around a required 3rd party SIP client. At a guess the call set up is different but the audio transmission is much the same.

XMPP as used by GV.

azrobert

You can use the SIP protocol to call an OBi with another device. You might have audio problems if the device is outside the local network. What type of device do you want to use?

azrobert

Quote from: yfh_obi on August 28, 2017, 10:23:05 AM
For obi what should I write after the @ to reach the Obi number from another non-obi sip account?

You need an OBi200 trunk defined as SIP. If you don't have one, a dummy trunk can be defined.

The SIP format of the call to the OBi200 is:
nnnn@xx.xx.xx.xx:pppp

nnnn is anything you want. If you want to make an outbound call from the OBi200, it is the outbound number.

pppp is the user agent port of the OBi200 trunk you are calling. The default is 5060.

From your local network
xx.xx.xx.xx is the IP address of the OBi200

From outside your local network
xx.xx.xx.xx is your public IP address
You need to setup port forwarding in your router for the user agent (listening) port and the RTP ports.

yfh_obi

Hello Drgeoff:
There are sites where they offer a DID (Direct Inward Dial) number.  In simple English, the number is a real number in the Public Switched Telephone Network  (PSTN).  You buy the service and register your SIP account with them so when someone dial the DID it will ring the SIP account.  In order to do that you need to know the URI (Uniform Resource Identifier) of the Obi number/account which usually resemble the syntax of an email usually it is  obi 9_number@xxxxx.xxx.  Connecting the DID to my obi URI is called masking.  I am not sure where I picked this term from but I remember reading it somewhere.  Some VoIP providers don't allow receiving calls from outside VoIP providers using their own system.   I travel a lot and I take my Obi box with me.  I noticed some ISPs block the Google service and the SIP accounts registered (in one form or another).  What I noticed was the obi number still work.  However the problem is my communication is limited with those who has obi numbers. That's why I asked for the URI of my obi number so users with other SIP services can reach me.  

Dear azrobert:
Thank ll be you for your response.  There are plenty of hardware.  The most famous is the Linksys family.  Also there are software SIP clients which are plenty.  In general the other party will have his own  SIP service (regardless the hardware or the mean used to access his service).  If he wants to reach my obi number what URI he should dial to reach me?  I cannot rely on IP to IP connection because I am not using a static IP.

Regards
Y

azrobert

You need to buy a 2nd OBi200 and keep it where people can call it. Then forward the call to you via OBi number.

azrobert

You can be called from a Web browser that supports WEBRTC, like Chrome.
Go here: https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/
Click on the green Call OBi button on the top of the page.
Enter the OBi200's OBi number.

drgeoff

Quote from: yfh_obi on August 31, 2017, 08:01:19 AM
Hello Drgeoff:
There are sites where they offer a DID (Direct Inward Dial) number.  In simple English, the number is a real number in the Public Switched Telephone Network  (PSTN).  You buy the service and register your SIP account with them so when someone dial the DID it will ring the SIP account.  In order to do that you need to know the URI (Uniform Resource Identifier) of the Obi number/account which usually resemble the syntax of an email usually it is  obi 9_number@xxxxx.xxx.
OK, now I understand.  IPKall worked that way.  (Past tense as it closed down.)  You cannot do that using the Obitalk protocol.  You need to use SIP.

azrobert has indicated how to make a SIP URI call to an Obi.  However if your travelling OBi200 is behind a NAT router, port forwarding is likely to be required and I guess you don't always have access to such a router eg in hotels.  Also some countries, some ISPs, some hotels etc deliberately block ports other than the standard ones used by browsers and email clients.

Probably the "Call OBi" button on obitalk.com is your best option.

yfh_obi