News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Vonage Business account + Obihai

Started by huetwallet, August 30, 2017, 07:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

huetwallet

Hi all,

Join to ask this question as I can't find anything about it after a whole day of google search.

Requirements/Constraints:
-We have a building, where we would like to place 3 phones at 3 different locations, just for making 911 emergency call.
-We already have a Vonage Business account line, can add line at $30/month.
-My plan is to use 3X Obi200+ObiWiFi+wall mount phone, so I can place the phones anywhere I want, as long as there is power supply (WiFi coverage will be good throughout) to power Obi200.

Questions:
1. Can I use my Vonage Business Account line to set up with Obi200?
2. Can I use a single Vonage line to set up three Obi200? These phone will only be use for emergency call.
3. I took a screen shot (hope it show up) of my Vonage Business account to show the info I can get from my end by doing a "Add device" under my line. Does this info enough to set it up to use with Obi?
4. If Obi only work best with Google Voice  (+ Anveo for Emergency services) - can you setup three Obi with single Google Voice account? And since this is for work, how do people separate this from your personal gmail (create another gmail account?)?
5. Or if you have better solution, please share.

Many Thanks!

drgeoff

To your questions 1 and 3.  Yes, it would appear that OBi200s are compatible with the SIP configs of a Vonage Business Account.

To your question 2. It is technically possible to have multiple SIP clients (such as OBi200s) simultaneously registered on a single account and many ITSPs do permit that.  Whether your Vonage account does is a question best directed to Vonage.

However, depending on what level of emergency you need to cover, I could be wary of using VoIP and/or Wi-Fi.

huetwallet

Quote from: drgeoff on August 30, 2017, 10:25:24 AM
To your questions 1 and 3.  Yes, it would appear that OBi200s are compatible with the SIP configs of a Vonage Business Account.

To your question 2. It is technically possible to have multiple SIP clients (such as OBi200s) simultaneously registered on a single account and many ITSPs do permit that.  Whether your Vonage account does is a question best directed to Vonage.

However, depending on what level of emergency you need to cover, I could be wary of using VoIP and/or Wi-Fi.

Many thanks for your reply! Can you do a screen shot of what info I need to fill in for setting up Obi? Would like to make sure I have all the info I get extract from my Vonage Business account. I can't seem to find anyone implementing this Vonage+Obi, so I am a little worried. I figure I can purchase one of those "Vonage Adapter", but they can't do wireless and will need to install data line specifically for them, like I planned to do with Obi.

Regarding your last para, is it the ObiWiFi not a stable connection? Our initial plan to use landline specifically for this emergency purpose, but as VoIP can now do location with 911, we figured this is might be a more economical solution.

Thanks!

drgeoff

Typically you need 3 or 4 pieces of info:

1.  The SIP server to register to.
2,  The Outbound Proxy
3.  The Authorisation ID
4.  The Authorisation Password

Frequently 1 and 2 are identical.  There is a demo GUI for the OBi200 at http://www.obihai.com/uidemos/obi200/i. Click on Service Providers, then on SIP.  1 and 2 above go in lines 4 and 1.  Click on Voice Services, then SP1 and scroll down to SIP Credentials. 3 and 4 above go in the first 2 lines there.  If you elect to configure via the Obitalk portal (rather than directly on the devices themselves) the required info is the same.

The OBiWiFi is probably no more flakey than any WiFi.  Bear in mind its small physical size means its antenna won't be as good as that on a typical laptop.  I wouldn't feel 100% confident if my life depended on a Wi-Fi connection.

huetwallet

Quote from: drgeoff on August 30, 2017, 12:39:02 PM
Typically you need 3 or 4 pieces of info:

1.  The SIP server to register to.
2,  The Outbound Proxy
3.  The Authorisation ID
4.  The Authorisation Password

Frequently 1 and 2 are identical.  There is a demo GUI for the OBi200 at http://www.obihai.com/uidemos/obi200/i. Click on Service Providers, then on SIP.  1 and 2 above go in lines 4 and 1.  Click on Voice Services, then SP1 and scroll down to SIP Credentials. 3 and 4 above go in the first 2 lines there.  If you elect to configure via the Obitalk portal (rather than directly on the devices themselves) the required info is the same.

The OBiWiFi is probably no more flakey than any WiFi.  Bear in mind its small physical size means its antenna won't be as good as that on a typical laptop.  I wouldn't feel 100% confident if my life depended on a Wi-Fi connection.

Thank you for the reply. I ordered the Obi200 and will test it out and report back.

Thanks!

ernbot

Did you get the device and test it out?  I'm curious as to your results.