News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phone not power up at all? Obi200

Started by huetwallet, September 06, 2017, 07:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

huetwallet

- connect to Ethernet port on router.
- connect phone line to Obi200.
- power up Obi200.
- phone model is Vodavi 8 button executive phone.

Result:
- Power is solid green.
- Ethernet is solid green/blinking like those on router.
- Phone LED is blinking green, like car turning signal.
- Phone not power up, no sound when picking up the phone.

Troubleshoot:
- plug phone and cable in regular wall phone jack, phone power up, sound ok.
- switch a phone that is working from phone jack, same thing, nothing happen when plug in to Obi200.
- restart everything, tried plug in the phone jack to Obi200 in different sequences, not working.
- search forum and nothing show up.

Send email to Obihai support.

While waiting for support, can anyone suggest something? is the Obi200 DOA - dead on arrival?

Thanks!

drgeoff

Does the Vodavi phone work as an ordinary analogue POTS phone? OBi ATAs do not support digital phones.

Plug your home phone into the powered up OBi200. Even with nothing plugged in to its Ethernet jack you should get dial tone when taking the handset off-hook.

huetwallet

Quote from: drgeoff on September 06, 2017, 08:32:31 AM
Does the Vodavi phone work as an ordinary analogue POTS phone? OBi ATAs do not support digital phones.

Plug your home phone into the powered up OBi200. Even with nothing plugged in to its Ethernet jack you should get dial tone when taking the handset off-hook.

Not sure if it is a POTS phone (how do I check?)- it works when plug in to wall jack at my company building.

Yeah, the problem is that it doesn't power up the phone at all, with or without Enternet jack plug in. The phone has no sound and not power up when plug in.

Thanks for your help. :)

Taoman

Quote from: huetwallet on September 06, 2017, 08:39:01 AM
it works when plug in to wall jack at my company building.

Chances are high the wall jack in your company building connects to a digital PBX.

You cannot plug a digital phone (Vodavi 8 button executive phone) into an analog phone port. This is why your phone does not "power up" when you plug it into your OBi 200. You must use an analog telephone to plug into the OBi ATA.

drgeoff

Use a known analogue phone to test the OBi for dial tone. If necessary, take the OBi home and use your home phone for the 30 second test.

I suspect the Vodavi only works with the phone system in your building but you didn't give the phone's model number. Anyway a quick search didn't turn up any Vodavi technical info on which I could say one way or the other.

drgeoff

That you expect the phone to "power up" is a strong indicator that it is not a conventional analogue phone. Analogue phones when off-hook take no or almost no power from the phone line. Analogue phones that need power when off-hook have some other means of getting power, eg a wallwart.

If the Vodavi has lamps or a screen etc that normally work when off-hook then it is very unlikely to be an analogue phone and will never work with any OBi ATA or indeed any brand of ATA. (The clue is the first letter of that TLA!)

A flashing phone LED on an OBi that is not being called normally means the  phone is off-hook. The OBi senses that because an analogue phone takes power when off-hook. The Vodavi trying to take power may be having the same effect.

huetwallet

Quote from: drgeoff on September 06, 2017, 09:04:02 AM
Use a known analogue phone to test the OBi for dial tone. If necessary, take the OBi home and use your home phone for the 30 second test.

I suspect the Vodavi only works with the phone system in your building but you didn't give the phone's model number. Anyway a quick search didn't turn up any Vodavi technical info on which I could say one way or the other.

Quote from: drgeoff on September 06, 2017, 09:32:38 AM
That you expect the phone to "power up" is a strong indicator that it is not a conventional analogue phone. Analogue phones when off-hook take no or almost no power from the phone line. Analogue phones that need power when off-hook have some other means of getting power, eg a wallwart.

If the Vodavi has lamps or a screen etc that normally work when off-hook then it is very unlikely to be an analogue phone and will never work with any OBi ATA or indeed any brand of ATA. (The clue is the first letter of that TLA!)

A flashing phone LED on an OBi that is not being called normally means the  phone is off-hook. The OBi senses that because an analogue phone takes power when off-hook. The Vodavi trying to take power may be having the same effect.

The phone is this guy: https://www.amazon.com/Vodavi-3012-71-Button-Speaker-Display/dp/B00EDOKD0Q/
It is the phones use in the whole office building that our company rented. It doesn't turn on at all when plug in to Obi200, but it power up and turn on when plug into the phone jack from the building wall. Not much at the back of the phone, it's "made in Korea".

Anyway, thanks for the input! I just ordered a Vtech CS6114 phone and will pick it up later. It is one of the phone that Obi recommended: http://www.obihai.com/recommended

Hope this works. :)

HWood

Obi 202 Telephone Lines (No LED Lighting) Dead also 7-18-2018

Attempted to post to the forum but received "Couldn't get mail server response codes."when I attempted to post...

Google Voice set up 6/8/13 4:51 PM 5 years ago-- purchased Obi 110 shortly thereafter.   

It's not the telephone itself-- that's fine. I am using the same Panasonic Link2Cell I've been using for a few years.  Same brand I used with my Obi-110 for 5+ years.  I purchased the Obi202 for me on May 12th of this year(and Obi200 for my son in 2017). 

The telephone cord is working. I plugged that into my LANDLINE's jack and it's fine.  I found the support telephone # and called; left a message--however, pretty confused as to what I have in terms of a warranty for an item that stopped functioning after 2 months...

Lemon?