News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Pls. help me setting up OBi110 for use with GV(?) in Canada

Started by tavie888, August 05, 2012, 12:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tavie888

Hello,

Voip newbie here. I recently purchased an OBi110 hoping to be able to make free LD calls throughout the US and Canada using Google Voice (GV).  Inside the box there's a piece of paper showing how to use GV with OBi, but I just found out GV is available in the US only.  I have a Gmail account which also has Google Talk

Could you please show me how to do the following? Same sequence as in the small guide in the OBi110 box.

1. Set up OBi device with local network and phone. A question for this particular section: Do I need to disconnect the line to Bell phone service first,in order to use VOIP? I want to be able to connect my landline phone to OBI110 for now, until I am comfortable enough to disconnect it from Bell.

2. Set up Google Talk to make and receive calls with the OBi110.  Please note that in Canada we currently cannot use Google Voice. How do I use Google Talk?

3. Configure Google Talk on OBi110 at OBITALK.COM

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you kindly for your help.

tavie888

PS: Just signed up with voip.ms.  I intend to use voip.ms for incoming calls and Google Talk for outgoing calls.

QBZappy

tavie888,

Have a look here. This may get you going with getting a GV number in Canada.

One time charge of $50 for a SIP Acct at freephoneline+How to setup GV in Canada
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=93.0
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

tavie888

Hello QBZappy,

Thanks for your reply.  The Canadian Province of Alberta has changed its area codes including that of Calgary, so 403 is no longer valid and besides Google has already closed that "loophole".  Anyway, I will look further into the VPN idea, etc.

QBZappy

tavie888,

Good to know, Thanks.

Another way that you can try is by getting a free DID with Call Centric for incoming calls. If you already own an OBi use that number to set up your GV.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

tavie888

Hello QBZappy,

I already purchased a NY State DID from my service provider voip.ms based in Montreal, Canada.  I guess another DID, especially a free one from Callcentric, is an added bonus.  I am just wondering if OBi110 or voip.ms will accommodate two or more service providers on the same box.  I just throw this question out to you, since I am new to VOIP and OBi Talk, thus I don't know very much.

I always appreciate your reply.  I

QBZappy

tavie888,

The OBi110 will let you set up 2 accts. Could be any combination of sip or GV accts. voipms doesn't care how many accts you set on on the box, the limitation is really on the ATA side. Your model gives you 2 accts as I have mentioned, the OBi202 can handle up to 4 sip accounts. The only model that handles PSTN lines is the OBi110. Those are your options with the OBi product line. (There is a little brother the OBi100 same as the OBi110 less the PSTN option)

Quote from: tavie888 on August 05, 2012, 12:21:46 PM
Could you please show me how to do the following? Same sequence as in the small guide in the OBi110 box.

1. Set up OBi device with local network and phone. A question for this particular section: Do I need to disconnect the line to Bell phone service first,in order to use VOIP? I want to be able to connect my landline phone to OBI110 for now, until I am comfortable enough to disconnect it from Bell.

No. If you want to keep your Bell number don't forget to port it to a voip provider when you are ready to dump BHELL.

2. Set up Google Talk to make and receive calls with the OBi110.  Please note that in Canada we currently cannot use Google Voice. How do I use Google Talk?

I already gave you some ideas about getting a GV number using a USA VPN plus a number which you can be reached at. Since you already have a NY DID with voipms, then that seems to be the way to go. Once you have GV you will see that GV/GTALK/GCHAT have basically been integrated. GV gives you a phone number to work with, while GTALK can be used to make and receive calls. The OBi mimics some of the ability of GTALK. Once you have the OBi box setup with GV, the phone attached to the box replaces the computer speakers and microphone. No computer required.

I think you mean Google Voice. Give it a go. GV setup via the OBITALK portal is very easy. Just follow the instructions.

Have fun.

tavie888

Hello QBZappy,

I just setup my OBi110 via Obitalk Portal:

SP1: Google Voice, primary calling service, CONNECTED
SP2: voip.ms, REGISTERED

The voip.ms wiki configuration sample pages for OBi110 gives me a clue to "OBi Expert Configuration" settings on the left hand column of the Portal.

However, when I went there to make changes as suggested by voip.ms wiki, I saw a number of red exclamation points but I cannot make changes or filling in the boxes.

Should I redo everything and make SP1: voip.ms (primary calling service) and SP2: Google Voice?

Any suggestions?  Thanks a lot for your help.

jimates

A red exclamation mark means that field is not configured by Obitalk. To make changes you must first uncheck all boxes to the right of the field. Unchecking the Obitalk box causes the default box to become checked. Uncheck the default box also, then you can make your changes.

jammieR

I already gave you some ideas about getting a GV number using a USA VPN plus a number which you can be reached at. Since you already have a NY DID with voipms, then that seems to be the way to go. Once you have GV you will see that GV/GTALK/GCHAT have basically been integrated. GV gives you a phone number to work with, while GTALK can be used to make and receive calls. The OBi mimics some of the ability of GTALK. Once you have the OBi box setup with GV, the phone attached to the box replaces the computer speakers and microphone. No computer required.

I think you mean Google Voice. Give it a go. GV setup via the OBITALK portal is very easy. Just follow the instructions.

Have fun.
[/quote]

I dont think what you have said is quite correct. Google voice is a great service and deserve the right to monitor every on who is using it.

drgeoff

@JammieR
You are replying to a question that was asked more than 5 years ago.

jammieR

Quote from: drgeoff on August 29, 2017, 08:29:55 AM
@JammieR
You are replying to a question that was asked more than 5 years ago.
Yes i am, but it is still effective and help full to people searching the same query.
and i am sorry if I offended you, or any rule of the community.  :'(

SteveInWA

Your entire posting history consists of nothing but spam about using VPNs.