News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

What's PP?

Started by kayrjay, September 13, 2017, 04:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kayrjay

On one of my "linked" 1062s, I can dial another 1062 with a number like 23 or 23#, and gate other 1062 will ring.  However it shows the call as going to pp(xxxxxxxxx) where the xxxxxxxxx is the OBI number of the other phone.  What does pp mean?  Since all the 1062s are on the same LAN, does it mean the calls do not go out over the internet to my VOIP provider?

SteveInWA

PP (as opposed to pee pee) is the OBiTALK VoIP network.  PP(xxxxxxxxx) is the OBi number assigned ("burned into") the OBi device you are calling.  The calls are traveling over the internet on Obihai's proprietary VoIP service.

kayrjay

Thanks, that's good.  It should mean, I think, that I might have a conversation between two 1062s and still be able to accept two incoming calls (assuming my VOIP provider permits two incoming calls, which it does on the plan I have).

Thanks

SteveInWA

Right; think of OBiTALK as just another VoIP service provider, independent of whatever other SPs you are using.

kayrjay

Great, than one followup, please!  (And thanks for your help!)

If I set up one 1062 line key with a Speed Dial to another 1062, it shows **9obxxxxxxxxx, so I assume that's also using the OBI network?

If that's the case, I wonder what the difference is between a "linked device" and simply using a speed dial number ....

So confused!

SteveInWA

Yes, they're both using the same call path; the linking feature simply assigns the two-digit speed dial numbers, which makes it easy to transfer calls, etc.

**9 is the prefix you enter on the phone to manually call out using OBiTALK, to the OBi number you enter, in the same way that **2(phone number) would place a call using SP2.

kayrjay

Thanks again, Steve.  Funny thing is I can't seem to use the OBI Wizard to set up the line keys to call a linked 1062.   I can call using 23 or 23# on the number pad, but not if 23 or 23# is defined for a line key (one of the six buttons to the right of the screen).   

I am trying to define the line keys using the OBI dashboard, not the Expert Config.  It doesn't seem to permit me to actually use the Linked devices from there, even though the process of Linking devices is right there.   I just can't attach the linked device to the line key ...

Grrr ....

SteveInWA

The basic configuration portion for OBi IP phones, on the OBiTALK portal, is very limited.  You need to get into expert mode to make most changes to the phone's functions.