News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Unable to add device obi202

Started by Gracekc4123, October 02, 2017, 03:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gracekc4123

Every time I try to add the device by calling the number nothing happens. I've been trying this for two days now at two different places with the same problem.  I went through the self help troubleshooting steps but none of the suggestions helped. It shows up with an IP address on my router page so I know that's working. Also sometimes I get the 4 green lights and one red light but that goes away after a restart.  I wasn't able to update the firmware since when I put in the IP address in a web browser it says the site can't be reached.  Not sure if it matters what phone I use but Im using a At&t CL82213 cordless phone and at the first location I was using a Netgear Nighthawk 7800 and at the other location I was using a TP link Archer C50.

SteveInWA

Is this a brand-new device, that you bought from an approved retailer, such as Amazon, Newegg or Fry's, or did you obtain it used or from eBay or Craigslist, or what, exactly?

drgeoff

Quote from: Gracekc4123 on October 02, 2017, 03:55:40 PMI wasn't able to update the firmware since when I put in the IP address in a web browser it says the site can't be reached.
The 202 contains a router and by default it is enabled.  Initial access to the device's on board configuration settings and firmware update page is ONLY possible from a computer plugged in to the LAN socket of the 202.  The computer needs to gets its IP address by DHCP or have a static address between 192.168.10.2 and 192.168.10.255.  The address to put in the web browser is 192.168.10.1.

Once there it is possible to disable the router (put the OBi into "bridge" mode) or enable access from the Internet port of the 202.  Or see the methods at https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/OBi202-sec/Howto-Access-Web-from-WAN.  Any of these will then permit access from a computer connected to the same router as the 202.

Gracekc4123

I ordered it off ebay and that seems to be the problem. I ordered a new one off amazon and installed it today with no problems. Hopefully I can return the old one that didn't work but its been like a month since I bought it.  Thanks for your replies.

SteveInWA

And...there you have it.

Never, ever, buy an OBi product off of eBay or Craigslist.

• A new one comes with a one-year warranty, and if, for some reason, it is DOA, you can return it for exchange or refund.
  • A new one doesn't cost that much more than a used one, especially if you amortize that cost over several years of use.
  • Few people are going to bother selling and shipping a used device at this price point, unless it is defective.  Most people will keep it forever, or until it eventually dies from a power surge/lightning strike.