News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

TCP connection to 125.141.125.74 failed

Started by GreenView, October 05, 2017, 02:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenView

After working fine for years, suddenly my Obi200 device refuses to make or receive calls.  On outgoing calls it says "No Service Configured error".  Logging into obitalk.com it shows "Backing off:  TCP connection to 125.141.125.74 failed".  That address is in Korea.  A ping to that address works fine.

What is going on?

Adding, the device has one line configured, to use Google.  The Google account works fine using Hangouts on my mobile phone.  Inbound ports 10000-10099 are routed to the ObiTalk device.

Taoman

What DNS server are you pointing at?  You might want to change your DNS to Google's public DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4) just to see if it makes any difference. Once you change your DNS I would restart your modem, router, and OBi device in that order.

kevin-in-sa

Did you ever solve this? I am having the same problem with OBi100. I tried everything I could find on the web with the exception of upgrading the firmware. It seems the link to the firmware is a broken link http://fw.obihai.com/OBi-latest.fw . That URL returns a "404 Not Found" error. So I can't upgrade the firmware. Did OBi cease supporting the OBi100?

UPDATE: I just ran across this announcement from OBi - http://blog.obihai.com/2016/08/end-of-life-announcement-obi100-and.html

I guess we were warned.

Taoman

Quote from: kevin-in-sa on October 30, 2017, 08:48:14 AM

UPDATE: I just ran across this announcement from OBi - http://blog.obihai.com/2016/08/end-of-life-announcement-obi100-and.html

This issue (whatever the hell it is!) is unrelated to the 1xx series being End Of Life. As long as you have the latest firmware (1.3.0 Build: 2886) your OBi 100 should continue to function just fine.

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw

Just to be clear, you are located in the U.S. and you are not using a VPN? Correct?

Does ANYONE have any ideas on what could be causing this? I'm getting a brain cramp trying to figure out what could be generating these Korean IP addresses.

GPz1100

See this on both obi's here too.  Can't dial out with gv. Inbound works fine because it goes through callcentric.

Reboot doesn't help.

-------------------

Edit:  Will give this a few hours to resolve.  If not, then it's plan b.  I was hoping to keep the obi boxes completely separated from the pbx.  But looks it's time to add the gv lines to it and point the obi to the pbx rather than gv directly.

GPz1100

With logging enabled in the firewall I see this.

So it's not a Korean IP the box is trying to access, but rather google gv. No clue why status is showing the octets backwards.  

Edit:  I realize the IP is different than in the subject, but if you flip the octets around, 74.125.141.125 resolves back to google.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php?ip=74.125.141.125

snomo

I'm having the same or very similar issue:
'Backing Off :
TCP connection to 173.194.198.125 failed"

I have tried removing the "SP1" settings, and re-configuring the account, as well as adding a "DMZ" in my router. Nothing has changed.

This started sometime this afternoon, after ~ 2years of working fine.

Mark

Lensor

I also have this issue with both of my Obi devices... but with a different IP reported in the error.

I used the IP lookup at www.ultratools.com/tools/ipWhoisLookup and found the IP reported in the error that I see is in a block owned by a company called BIGLOBE Inc. in Tokyo.  The IP in the title of this one appears to be from KR.

One user reports 173.194.198.125 which appears to be a Google IP address... strange.

My Obi1062 and Obi202 - both working well for over 10 months - both have this issue and it started this afternoon as others have reported.  (GV accounts are not working, SIP accounts register without problems.)

I'm at the edge of my seat to understand why this is happening and hoping it will be fixed soon.

L

Webslinger

Quote from: Lensor on October 31, 2017, 05:48:02 PM

I used the IP lookup at www.ultratools.com/tools/ipWhoisLookup and found the IP reported in the error that I see is in a block owned by a company called BIGLOBE Inc. in Tokyo.  The IP in the title of this one appears to be from KR.

Reverse those IP address numbers, and then do a whois on them.

Ryan_Chicago

Same here with my Obi 110 attempting to reconnect to Google Voice (GV) :(

Backing Off : TCP connection to 209.85.234.125 failed
Backing Off : TCP connection to 74.125.69.125 failed

Is this because Google has permanently shutdown their XMPP API?

https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/deprecations/xmpp

I fear all of the Obi GV users may be SOL.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Ryan_Chicago on October 31, 2017, 07:38:15 PM
Same here with my Obi 110 attempting to reconnect to Google Voice (GV) :(

Backing Off : TCP connection to 209.85.234.125 failed
Backing Off : TCP connection to 74.125.69.125 failed

Is this because Google has permanently shutdown their XMPP API?

https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/deprecations/xmpp

I fear all of the Obi GV users may be SOL.

No,  "all of the OBi GV users" are not SOL.  This is not impacting every user.  It's a bug that Obihai is investigating, and will fix.  Google Voice is still available and supported by Obihai.

And, No, the deprecation you referenced does not apply in this situation.

mikeb0

My OBi 200 worked flawlessly for 1.5 years and today get the same issue here...
Phone LED is off, no inbound calls, and outbound I hear "No service configured error".
Echo test (**9 222 222 222) works perfectly.

SP1 Service Status: Backing Off (2s):TCP connection to 125.132.125.74 failed

Tried updating firmware but no luck.
SoftwareVersion   3.2.1 (Build: 5735EX)

Hope there's a fix soon.

FireSQer

I followed these directions on two different boxes with great success:
https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/GV-and-the-OBi/Using-openDNS-GV-Status-BackingOff
Quick summary:
1. Log into obitalk.com
2. Choose Obi Expert Configuration
3. Choose Enter Obi Expert
4. Click on System Management
5. Choose WAN Settings
6. UNcheck ObiTalk Settings by DNSServer1
7. UNcheck Device Default
8. Enter 8.8.4.4 in DNSServer1 field
9. Scroll to bottom and Submit

I also upgraded firmware while I was at it.
10. Back to the Obi Dashboard.
11. Click on the yellow triangle to upgrade firmware.

Now I'm dialing out as well as receiving calls.

HTH.

Mike

phonebob

Quote from: FireSQer on October 31, 2017, 08:47:37 PM
I followed these directions on two different boxes with great success:
https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/GV-and-the-OBi/Using-openDNS-GV-Status-BackingOff
Quick summary:
1. Log into obitalk.com
2. Choose Obi Expert Configuration
3. Choose Enter Obi Expert
4. Click on System Management
5. Choose WAN Settings
6. UNcheck ObiTalk Settings by DNSServer1
7. UNcheck Device Default
8. Enter 8.8.4.4 in DNSServer1 field
9. Scroll to bottom and Submit

I also upgraded firmware while I was at it.
10. Back to the Obi Dashboard.
11. Click on the yellow triangle to upgrade firmware.

Now I'm dialing out as well as receiving calls.

HTH.

Mike
I tried this, and it didn't change anything.  Then I followed the link in the quoted post.  I noticed it said to use 4.2.2.2 (not 8.8.4.4).  I tried that, and it works.

Ryan_Chicago

Yup changing DNS servers seems to have fixed the issue. My Obi110 was previously using the RCN DNS servers:

I switched to Comodo DNS servers and this resolved the issue for now:

I would guess that Google recently changed the DNS records for it's XMPP servers and the RCN DNS servers are still serving up the old/stale A records.

Also, FWIW I'm specifically avoiding using the Google DNS servers because strangely, and albeit many years ago, I encountered an issue with the Obi110 whereas the message indicator light on my phone would not function when using Google DNS.

GPz1100

Ryan,

Good find.  It's surprising this server dns change wasn't staggered or done over a weekend.  I guess the way the pbx or simonics connects to gv is different from the way obi does it.  Chances are by morning all the cached records will be expired and everything will work again without any changes.

Lensor

Thank you Mike (FireSQer) and Ryan_Chicago!  The DNS change worked here :)!

I'm not a networking expert but felt something about the dns, perhaps a  propagation issue, might have been to blame...

I've changed my devices to use the Comodo DNS as suggested by Ryan and both my devices are up and running again!

Happy days!

L

NikTalk

The OBI202 boxes started working automatically this morning.  Looks like Obi updated them.
The Obi101 was still not working with the "backing up" message persisting.

Using advice from FireSQer and Ryan_Chicago, I changed the DNS manually and the OBI101 box started working again.  Success!

rfryar

Stopped working for my obi last night.  Tried both DNS servers with no luck.

Tried:

[Edit] Magically it started working now.  I assume Google changed what IPs pointed and various servers were lagged behind.

Rick

Ryan_Chicago

All credit is due to @SteveInWA and @FireSQer
Without their helpful insight I would not have guessed this was a DNS issue.

It's a bit difficult to pin down the stale records as it seems like Google is using a fairly large round-robin pool of IP addresses for the XMPP servers, for which I believe the FQDNs are:

xmpp-server.l.google.com
alt1.xmpp-server.l.google.com
alt2.xmpp-server.l.google.com
alt3.xmpp-server.l.google.com
alt4.xmpp-server.l.google.com

@rfryar: last night I also tested the Level3 DNS (e.g. 4.2.2.1-.4) and unfortunately they were also returning stale DNS records just like the RCN DNS servers.