News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Condo Intercom to my cell phone?

Started by pingywon, October 05, 2017, 02:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pingywon

I'm sure the vets here have been through this type of question a million times, so allow me to say sorry ahead of time....

I live in a multistory building with an intercom system at the guest entrance. When a visitor dials my apt number on the keypad (213) it uses the land line in my apt to ring. I can pick up - talk to them and then dial a code to buzz them into the building.

I DO NOT HAVE A LANDLINE! :)

What I wanna do is use my OBi device (and FXO-USB adapter) to have the intercom system forward to my google voice number (which goes to my cell phone) I want to be able to answer the google voice number on my cell phone and than use my cell phone to buzz people in to the building.

I have spent weeks on this.... I can not figure it out. Has anyone else done this? How did you do it? I am just about at wits end and ANY info anyone has or could share would be GREATLY appreciated!

TIA

azrobert

You need a 2nd service provider to call your GV number. If you use GV to call to same GV account, you will get connected to voicemail. You can use GV to directly call your cell.

Use OBi Expert to modify the Line port's inbound route. The following assumes GV is defined on SP1.

Physical Interfaces -> Line Port -> InboundCallRoute: ph,sp1(cell#)

pingywon

Thank you for the response!

Yes I want someone to dial the apt number outside the building. That to trigger the OBi202/FXO-USB to call my GV number which is forwarded to my cell phone.

Is my train of thought correct here? Or am I still missing a piece of the puzzle?

azrobert

Maybe I'm getting too much into the weeds, but I will try again. The OBi doesn't really forward incoming calls. It uses a defined service provider to make a new call and then merges this new call with the inbound call. This is called bridging.

If you only have one GV account, you must use it to "Forward" the incoming call from your intercom. If you use your GV account to call the same GV account, the person at the intercom will be connected to the GV IVR and will be asked if they want to access your voicemail, make a new call and some other options.

You can have the OBi forward the call directly to your cell number. This is different than calling you GV number and then having GV ring all your forwarding numbers.

Use the instructions at the bottom of my last post to configure your OBi.

Edit:

Before making any changes, make sure the intercom will ring the OBi's phone port.

pingywon

Alright - so progress has been made!!

Thank you very much your advice so far has gotten me to this point.

I have the system "working" the issue is that ever ring from the intercom generates a new call to my cell phone. I never have a chance to even answer it as it just rings once and then hangs up and then rings the cell again with the next ring from the intercom.

Any idea what setting I am looking for or have missed.

So close...yet so far.

azrobert

I never setup an intercom, so I don't have 1st hand knowledge on the procedure. I found the below link. Make sure you change the RingDelay to zero.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10394.msg68560#msg68560

pingywon

I dont know if the problem is with GV or what...

The intercom calls my cell...but my cell only rings once and it hangs up from the cell side....

From the intercom side... it keeps ringing.

So the intercom keeps ringing - it calls my cell. My cell rings once then hangs up. Then my cell rings again once and hangs ups - it just keep doing this.

I am sooo close....

anyone have any ideas?

pingywon

pretty much went through all the GV settings, I dont think its  a GV problem at this point..based on process of elimination.

it is sooo close it has to be a simple something I am missing.

anyone?

drgeoff

Log in locally to the OBi's onboard* web server GUI.  Click on Status and then on Call History.  You will see entries for both the incoming calls from the door pad and the outgoing calls to your cellphone.  They will show start and end times.  Which of incoming and outgoing show as one long call and which show as multiple short calls?

(* Call History cannot be seen via the OBiTALK portal.)

Kcontzen

Just adding to this thread in case this information is helpful for anyone out there. I faced the same problem, the issue is the RingTimeout in the Physical Interfaces - Line settings. Try setting it to max, 1920ms. This is still not enough for my enterphone system, but at least it gave me 1.92 seconds to answer, which resulted in occasional success letting people in.

If the max isn't enough for you, get another ATA that permits a longer RingTimeout setting. SPA232d, Grandstream HT813 are examples.

Update: the SPA232d has more than one parameter named RingTimeout. The advertised one goes for as many seconds as you'd like. The "international settings" one that affects this issue has the same limits as the OBI110. Trying the audio codes mp 114, which seems to allow FXOBetweenRingTime of many seconds.