News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New Router, 2 Phonepower Accounts, 1 Works, 2nd "No Response From Server"

Started by dwhitejazz, October 14, 2017, 07:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwhitejazz

Recently, we purchased a new ASUS RT-AC3200 router and I am having trouble configuring my OBi202 device. The OBi202 is in the DMZ zone of the router, therefore there are no port forwarding issues. Furthermore, I have disabled SIP Passthrough.

I have 2 Phonepower accounts and 1 GoogleVoice account on SP1, SP2, and SP3 respectfully. The first Phonepower account and the GoogleVoice account register successfully ("Registered" and "Connected" status messages). However, the second Phonepower account refuses to register and I always get a "No Reponse from Server" error message.

With the previous router, we had this problem with the Phonepower accounts as well, and to fix it we changed the X_UserAgentPort setting on the second account to port 5061. The first Phonepower account has X_UserAgentPort set to 5060.

If I put back the old router, both Phonepower accounts "Register" successfully - very strange. Therefore, it seems like this is not an OBi202 configuration issue, but yet I can't think of anything else to change in the ASUS router since the OBi202 is in the DMZ and SIP passthrough is disabled. Also, if it were a router problem, I would expect *both* Phonepower accounts to fail to register, but the first one is successful.

Does Phonepower have to change something on their end to allow the second account to register?

I'm out of ideas for configuring the OBi202 or the ASUS router. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

drgeoff

1.  Having different values for X_UserAgentPort is normal and OBis default to 5060, 5061, 5062 and 5063 for the Voice Services.

2.  Log in to the OBi's onboard web GUI (not the OBiTALK portal) and click on Status. What exactly does it show for SP1 and SP2

3.  If you disable SP1 (untick the Enable box) does SP2 register?

4.  Is the Asus router running the latest available firmware?

5.  It is rarely necessary to operate an OBi in a router's DMZ.  Not saying this is relevant to your current issue with SP2 but when you overcome that you should attempt to take the OBi out of the DMZ.

dwhitejazz

I will try disabling SP1 later today and see if the SP2 account still fails to register.

I put the OBi202 into the DMZ because after applying all the port-forwarding settings I used from the previous router that Phonepower account would not register. I wanted to rule out a port issue. Once this issue is resolved, I will attempt to put the device behind the firewall again.

Yes, the ASUS RT-AC3200 router is running the latest firmware.

I'll talk to Phonepower and see if they have any ideas.

dwhitejazz

I disabled SP1, but Phonepower on SP2 still fails to register, "No Response from Server".  Phonepower thinks it is a router issue, but then why would SP1 register when it is enabled?

SP2 status shows a reference to port 12060 but I did not configure that port:

SP2 Service Status
Settings   
Status: Register Failed: No Response From Server (server=206.15.130.6:12060; retry in 18s)
PrimaryProxyServer: Trying 206.15.150.6:12060
SecondaryProxyServer: Secondary Registration Not Enabled

dwhitejazz

I hooked up the old router and that port is referenced when both accounts register successfully.

Registered (server=206.15.150.6:12060; expire in 91s)

drgeoff

Quote from: dwhitejazz on October 14, 2017, 01:25:03 PM
I hooked up the old router and that port is referenced when both accounts register successfully.

Do you mean that both SP1 and SP2 give that message when they register using the old router?  If you don't mean that, what message for SP1?

Worth trying the OBi not in the Asus DMZ.  You never know!

dwhitejazz

Yes, with the old router, both SP1 and SP1 register and I see the same log message under each:

I'm starting to wonder if this is an ASUS router firmware bug related to their handling of SIP passthrough.

dwhitejazz

I can confirm that this issue is not my router. We are preparing to switch ISP providers where we can supply our own modem and router. Currently, we are on AT&T U-Verse so my new router is functioning as a secondary router in the AT&T U-Verse router's DMZ zone. The AT&T router is what I previously referred to as the "old router".

If I hook up a completely different secondary router (e.g. An older NETGEAR WNDR3700 router I had in storage) and try to use the OBi202 connected to it with the same settings (i.e. OBi202 in the NETGEAR DMZ, and SIP-ALG disabled) the same problem occurs: the second Phonepower account fails to register.

If I examine the system logs of the AT&T U-Verse router I see something very interesting. There are logs indicating "INVALID SRC ADDRESS" where the IP address is the OBi202 on the secondary router subnet (e.g. 192.168.2.238). The AT&T U-Verse router is on a different subnet (192.168.1.n).

Even though the secondary router is in the AT&T U-Verse router's DMZ, and most of the firewall checks on the AT&T U-Verse router have been disabled, the AT&T U-Verse router is still blocking communication flowing to the "invalid" static IP address.

I've found an article describing this problem with a complex series of steps to "fake out" the AT&T U-Verse router into functioning properly in bridge mode and static IP addresses.

https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Equipment/How-to-fake-bridged-mode-with-U-Verse/td-p/2859191

I am guessing this is my issue since two different routers exhibit the same problem, and, registration is fine going through the AT&T U-Verse router directly.

Since we are switching ISP providers where we can supply the modem and the router I am not going to try and get the OBi202 to work until we have switched and my new router is the true primary router. I hope when we make the switch this problem will simply disappear.

GPz1100

To the OP, when you switch routers, are you rebooting the obi (unplug power, plug back in)?

dwhitejazz

My problem was solved when we switched ISP providers and my secondary router became the only (primary) router. Both Phonepower accounts registered successfully.