News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New OBI200 doesn't work--is it defective? Or am I too obtuse?

Started by Babs, October 16, 2017, 06:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babs

I just bought a new Obi200. I had an Obi110 that just died. As soon as I plugged it all in, the power light was solid green, the middle light was green-ish and the phone light was nothing unless I pick up the phone, then blinks green as it should. I have messed with this for hours. When I unplug the obi and replug, the power is red then blinking then green, the middle light turns green-ish and even the phone light turns green for a few seconds, then the light goes out. Is this a router issue? The phone continually says I need to configure at obitalk, but I've tried and nothing works. Should I send this back? Is it defective? Or am I not doing something I should be doing?

SteveInWA

I don't understand your issue.  You are describing a new-out-of-the-box OBi, which is behaving properly, and now needs to be set up, using the OBiTALK web portal.  Just follow the instructions to get it set up.  It doesn't magically inherit the settings from your old OBi; you have to start from scratch.

Babs

Thanks, Steve for your kind response. Yes, I am aware it won't magically work. The issue I am having is that I cannot add the device or configure the device after following all the instructions over and over again for the past few days through the web portal and wondered if I might have a router issue, rather than sending this back.

SteveInWA

The LED indicators aren't enough to figure out why you're having problems.

Power off your router and power off the OBi (unplug their power cords).  Wait 10 seconds or so.  Power on the router.  Wait a good 5 minutes for it to fully boot up and establish its network connections.  Plug in the Ethernet cord from the OBi to the router, then plug the power cord into the OBi. Wait for it to finish booting up (power LED solidly lit, middle, internet LED flickering intermittently).  Pick up the phone attached to the OBi.  You should hear a dial tone.  If so, key in ***1 and listen.  It should speak the IP address it obtains, either in the 192.168.x.x range, or the 10.0.x.x. range.  Does it?

Babs

It does not. It says, "no service configured error. Log in to obitalk.com blah, blah blah..."

SteveInWA

What else is connected to your router?  Do all the other devices (computers, mobile devices, gadgets) work (they can get an IP address)?  What make and model router is it?  Have you tried using a different Ethernet cable, plugged into a different Ethernet port on the router?  Do you have any special security settings on your router, such as limiting access to only listed MAC addresses?

Is this a new OBi purchased from an authorized retailer (Amazon, Newegg, or Fry's)?

If it's a new unit, then you can try restoring it to factory defaults.  Pick up the phone and key in ***8, then 1 to confirm.  Wait for it to do its thing, for a good 5 minutes, then power it off and on again and see if it picks up an IP address (confirm via ***1).

Babs

What else is connected to your router?
The only other thing connected to the router is the ethernet that goes into the box that connects to outside.
Do all the other devices (computers, mobile devices, gadgets) work (they can get an IP address)?
Yes.
What make and model router is it? It is a Netgear 750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router WNDR4300
Have you tried using a different Ethernet cable, plugged into a different Ethernet port on the router? No, I will try this.
Do you have any special security settings on your router, such as limiting access to only listed MAC addresses?
In this journey through this mess, I have discovered that my ISP which was SureWest and is now CCI has the router "locked" with its own password that I don't have. Please don't tell me admin and password as I have tried all the passwords known to work and even reset the router to factory default with no luck. I have an email into CCI to give me my router password so that I can get into the Netgear Genie and see what's going on.
Is this a new OBi purchased from an authorized retailer (Amazon, Newegg, or Fry's)? Yes, Amazon
If it's a new unit, then you can try restoring it to factory defaults. I tried this and anytime I dial anything on the phone it tells me, "no service configured error."
Thank you for your time with this. I'm guessing that until I can get into my router, there's not much else to do?

SteveInWA

Assuming that a) you did factory reset it, and b) you did try a different Ethernet cable, then it's either something in your router that is blocking it, or the OBi is defective.

Perhaps you can take the OBi to a friend or relative's house, plug it into their router, and give it a try.  Aside from that, there's not much else you can do, other than to return it, unless someone else here on the forum has a brilliant suggestion.

Just to be unambiguously clear, it needs to be connected like this:

Internet service from your provider-->Their modem or fiber optic terminal-->Netgear router-->LAN port on that router-->OBi.

I suggest using the cable that came with the OBi, and plug one end into the router, and the other end into a laptop or desktop computer with its WiFi adapter disabled, to see if that computer can get an IP address.  This will troubleshoot the cable and the router's Ethernet jack.