News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

modem swap phone not working

Started by bones774, October 24, 2017, 10:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bones774

I ahve an obi 200 and swapped modems this AM(arris822g) and now my phone is not working, can someone help me.
I did the obi troubleshoot and got the echo test then they submitted me to a work order and now im waiting.
thanks all

PS-im using google voice
and 2x now i've gone thru factory reset.

davidlisacpa

are you able to communicate with the OBI200 via your dashboard? Is your OBI connected directly to the modem or to a router? What is the rest of your system configuration?

bones774

how do i communicate with obi 200 via dashboard? how do i know?
OBI connected to router
router is an "on network n150"
i should point out that this setup worked flawlessly for over 2 years till i had to swap modems this morning, i knew i was tempting faith, im not that familiar with this stuff, im a senior citizen muddling thru and no telephone right now.
Your help is very much appreciated

SteveInWA

Hi:

Your connections should be:

Coax cable from cable company-->Arris cable modem-->Ethernet cable-->Router's WAN port-->Router's LAN port (usually one of four or five)-->Ethernet cable-->OBi's Ethernet jack.

Is that how things are connected?  If not, you need to get the boxes hooked up like that.  If so, then unplug all three boxes from their power cords.  Wait at least 10 seconds.  Plug in just the Arris cable modem.  Wait a few minutes.  Plug in the router.  Wait a few more minutes.  Plug in the OBi.  Wait some more.

Does it work now?

davidlisacpa

It seems as though the router doesn't realize that a new modem has taken the place of the old one. Most likely when you connected your new modem to the internet, it received a new IP address which was different from the previous one.

SteveInWa is giving you the best advice - it will make the router recognize the new modem properly.

bones774

That is the way it is hooked up, thanks for the great flow chart. I will now do the unplug thing and get back to you,

bones774

I checked all the wiring , it was correct.
I did all the unplug stuff in that order and then tried too make a call, got recoding that service was not configured, i went to OBI dashboard and clicked add device and dialed the number was told to dial and told the number was sent to system or whatever, then tried dialing, it gets dialtone and rings but no answer, i called phone with my cell and get immediate busytone..
????

When i first hooked this up years ago, it was done without a hitch, i was so happy, been breaking my ass all day today and no phone.

davidlisacpa

After you added the device, did you add GV to SP1?

bones774

just did it again for like the 4th time, just rings and rings.

SteveInWA

Please carefully follow my instructions on the page linked below, to start over and set up your OBi device to use Google Voice.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

bones774

Steve, i've been working on this all day and came across your page earlier and did all the steps. I will do it over again now. report back in 15-20 min. Thanks

davidlisacpa

OK, this may be beyond obvious, but during this entire process did you do anything to your Google Voice settings? Under Legacy Settings, the Phones tab, did "Google Chat" get accidentally unchecked?

bones774

I went thru all of those directions and then went to call from google hangout as per instructions and again it just rang and then listed as unreachable. Im getting worn out and depresssed over this.

and google chat is checked

Ive been doing all this on firefox but when i was directed to call from google hangout i had to open google browser because firefox did not support google hangout

SteveInWA

Quote from: bones774 on October 24, 2017, 05:46:58 PM
...then went to call from google hangout as per instructions and again it just rang and then listed as unreachable.

Please be more detailed/specific about what you did.  You cannot call your own inbound Google Voice number from Hangouts; an error message is to be expected.

After performing the steps in my list, can you make outbound calls from the phone attached to the OBi?  Call someone's land line or mobile phone number, that is NOT on your Google Voice account.  Does their phone ring and if so, can they answer the call?  If it rings, does it show that called party your Google Voice number as the caller ID?

bones774

im gonna use google browser for everything tomorrow so i have all tabs on the same browser, thats for tomorrow. I thank all of you and hope to hear from you all tomorrow, thanks andy

bones774

Good morning and thanks again everyone,
I followed all the steps again this AM and i cant get google hangout to place a call to my cell phone because "number is unreachable".
I continued past that step and dial the **5 number and was connected to server, google voice was listed as provider, got the pop up and spinner stuff, status is connected but still a no go!

bones774

Great news, i did all those steps and unplugged all 3 units, went for stress relief walk and plugged all back in. I now have phone! Don't know what happened but it's a relief.
Thank you all for the time and effort you offered.  I really do appreciate it.