News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Porting 2 lines to Google Voice and curious if this is possible...

Started by davidlisacpa, October 24, 2017, 11:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlisacpa

I did a search and I apologize if I missed this as a previously answered question, but I am hoping I have figured out a way to bring my 2 existing lines to Google Voice and have them both go to the same voicemail. This is based on Google allowing you to pay $20 to keep your Google assigned number after you have ported number. I think you have 90 days to opt for this. Then any calls to either number will ring through to the OBI.
Has anyone tried this:

• Port your existing "line 1" number to Google Voice, replacing your Google assigned number.
  • Port your existing "line 2" number to Google Voice, replacing your newly ported "line 1" number.
  • Choose to keep your "line 1" number by paying the $20 within 90 days.
If Google views a newly ported line the same as the original number selected from Google when setting up Voice, I think that would work. But I am hesitant to try it in the event that Google doesn't treat a ported number the same, and then I'd lose my "line 1" number.
Any input on this would be greatly appreciated!

SteveInWA

Yes, you can do what you described.  You do not even need to start with a freebie number issued to you by Google; if you haven't already obtained a free number, then just start with porting one of the two lines, wait until it is fully working for both inbound and outbound calls, then port the other line in.

If you are porting in land lines, you must first port them to a mobile carrier, wait a week for the porting to be fully completed and broadcast out to all carriers, then initiate a port from the mobile carrier to GV.  Do NOT use one of the third-party SIM sellers like H20, MintSIM, or Lycamobile.  Use AT&T GoPhone or T-Mobile Prepaid.

Note that if you not have to pay an additional fee to keep two ported-in numbers, because you are paying two port-in fees.  The extra fee is only required to keep a freebie Google Voice number.

After you port in two numbers, both numbers will be considered permanent (they will never be reclaimed by Google for lack of use).  All inbound calls to either number will ring the same phone on the single SP1-4 slot to which the account is configured.  All outbound calls will display the caller ID of the GV number you designate as "primary".  You can flip-flop primary/secondary roles for the two numbers at any time, immediately, for free, as often as you wish.

Inbound calls to to either number will be handled the same way by GV:  forward to the OBi and/or real forwarding numbers, and they'll receive the same voicemail greeting.

davidlisacpa

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 24, 2017, 04:27:26 PM
Yes, you can do what you described.  You do not even need to start with a freebie number issued to you by Google; if you haven't already obtained a free number, then just start with porting one of the two lines, wait until it is fully working for both inbound and outbound calls, then port the other line in.

If you are porting in land lines, you must first port them to a mobile carrier, wait a week for the porting to be fully completed and broadcast out to all carriers, then initiate a port from the mobile carrier to GV.  Do NOT use one of the third-party SIM sellers like H20, MintSIM, or Lycamobile.  Use AT&T GoPhone or T-Mobile Prepaid.

Note that if you not have to pay an additional fee to keep two ported-in numbers, because you are paying two port-in fees.  The extra fee is only required to keep a freebie Google Voice number.

After you port in two numbers, both numbers will be considered permanent (they will never be reclaimed by Google for lack of use).  All inbound calls to either number will ring the same phone on the single SP1-4 slot to which the account is configured.  All outbound calls will display the caller ID of the GV number you designate as "primary".  You can flip-flop primary/secondary roles for the two numbers at any time, immediately, for free, as often as you wish.

Inbound calls to to either number will be handled the same way by GV:  forward to the OBi and/or real forwarding numbers, and they'll receive the same voicemail greeting.
SteveInWa, you're a god. I was hoping that would be the case but really didn't want to find out the hard way that a ported number wouldn't be retained after a subsequent port.
Thanks!

davidlisacpa

So here are the last questions on this: 2 distinct numbers ringing the same GV account can be associated with only one SP, correct? Or is it possible to have the same account pointing to SP1 and SP2... (I should point out that these 2 lines will be on 4 OBI1062's, thereby allowing multiple simultaneous users).
If a call comes in to the "line 1" number and then a call comes in to the "line 2" number while the first call is still active, can that ring on SP2?
Finally, if the above is possible, and there are 2 calls simultaneously, line 1 on SP1 and line 2 on SP2, what happens when a call comes in on either line? Does call waiting work for either/both lines, or does the call go straight to voicemail? If call waiting does work, can it ring SP3/4???

SteveInWA

Quote from: davidlisacpa on October 24, 2017, 07:22:40 PM

So here are the last questions on this: 2 distinct numbers ringing the same GV account can be associated with only one SP, correct? Or is it possible to have the same account pointing to SP1 and SP2... (I should point out that these 2 lines will be on 4 OBI1062's, thereby allowing multiple simultaneous users).
If a call comes in to the "line 1" number and then a call comes in to the "line 2" number while the first call is still active, can that ring on SP2?
Finally, if the above is possible, and there are 2 calls simultaneously, line 1 on SP1 and line 2 on SP2, what happens when a call comes in on either line? Does call waiting work for either/both lines, or does the call go straight to voicemail? If call waiting does work, can it ring SP3/4???

If you follow the instructions I posted, you will end up with one Google account with two numbers.  There is no way to direct calls for number A to SP2 vs. B to SP1, for example.  Call waiting may or may not work, and Google Voice does not have "hunt groups".

Looking at the bigger picture, however, Google Voice is not a good solution for your use case with multiple phones.  The better approach is to use a SIP VoIP service like Callcentric, voip.ms, etc.  You could then set up sub-accounts or extensions, for each phone, and manage which numbers ring on which phones, and you could more easily transfer calls between extensions and set up a hunt group or simultaneous ring, as needed.  Google Voice is a consumer-only service that's designed for a single user on a single phone.  Cloud-based PBX service is the better solution for a multi-number/multi-phone environment.  This lets you dynamically configure and manage everything from the ITSP's dashboard, including adding/changing/removing DIDs and/or extensions.