News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice new (October 2017) account signup flow

Started by SteveInWA, October 26, 2017, 10:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveInWA

Greetings:

Just a heads-up:  Google has now migrated their new Google Voice signup flow to the new Google Voice user interface (the old, "Legacy" UI will no longer work for new signup).

As part of this change, all new configurations will be required to sign up with a Google-supplied Google Voice phone number, before (optionally) porting in a number.  The option to port in a number instead is no longer presented.  If you want to port in a number, you'll need to first complete the setup process with a GV-supplied number, and then follow the port process.  If you wish, you can either keep the temporary GV number or delete it after the port.

See:  https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667?hl=en&ref_topic=1708124

Webslinger

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 26, 2017, 10:29:08 AM

As part of this change, all new configurations will be required to sign up with a Google-supplied Google Voice phone number.

New Google Voice signups can't make outbound calls without a GV number?

SteveInWA

Quote from: Webslinger on October 31, 2017, 02:17:14 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on October 26, 2017, 10:29:08 AM

As part of this change, all new configurations will be required to sign up with a Google-supplied Google Voice phone number.

New Google Voice signups can't make outbound calls without a GV number?

I didn't say that.  Any Google account that has accepted Google's Terms of Use can make outbound calls using Hangouts or an OBi device, assuming it is in a supported country.  The called party will see no caller ID if the user doesn't have an inbound Google Voice phone number.

My post is specifically in reference to porting in a phone number.

Webslinger

SteveInWA

Thanks for asking; I edited my post to make it (hopefully) unambiguous about that.