News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Need busy tone when I'm on phone and another party calls

Started by Ronny, October 26, 2017, 03:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronny

So, I have an OBI200, Google Voice and Callcentrics free number (being used for incoming Called ID and Name).

I don't use Voice Mail.  My Panasonic home answering machine alerts me to a message left on the Panasonic with a flashing light on the handset.

How do I disable Call Waiting AND have the 3rd party calling hear a busy signal while I'm on the phone with another person?...Just like the old days

Thank you

drgeoff

Quote from: Ronny on October 26, 2017, 03:32:52 PM
So, I have an OBI200, Google Voice and Callcentrics free number (being used for incoming Called ID and Name).

I don't use Voice Mail.  My Panasonic home answering machine alerts me to a message left on the Panasonic with a flashing light on the handset.

How do I disable Call Waiting AND have the 3rd party calling hear a busy signal while I'm on the phone with another person?...Just like the old days

Thank you
If all calls are coming to your OBi via Callcentric, set up a Call Treatment there. "Redirect call to: busy tone" and select the additional option (at the right hand side) "Status is: I'm on a call".

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on October 26, 2017, 04:03:46 PM

Thank you
If all calls are coming to your OBi via Callcentric, set up a Call Treatment there. "Redirect call to: busy tone" and select the additional option (at the right hand side) "Status is: I'm on a call".

That won't work.  If Ronny is on an outbound call, he is making the call via the Google Voice SPx.  The inbound call will come in on the other SPx, which is configured for Callcentric.  Callcentric has no idea that he's on a call via GV/XMPP on the other SP.

Ronny:  Google Voice is not a free telephone company.  It doesn't work anything like your 1970s technology answering machine.  It is a call forwarding, voicemail and text messaging system.  You can't disable those features.  If you want a simple dial tone telephone line, then get service from Callcentric for that.

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 26, 2017, 04:17:03 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on October 26, 2017, 04:03:46 PM

Thank you

That won't work.  If Ronny is on an outbound call, he is making the call via the Google Voice SPx.  The inbound call will come in on the other SPx, which is configured for Callcentric.  Callcentric has no idea that he's on a call via GV/XMPP on the other SP.

Quite right. I really should not post when my brain has gone to sleep after bed-time here in the UK.  :)

SteveInWA

Heh heh, yah, 1am is a bit late for tech support.  At least it's not 1am "drunk texting".   ::)

Ronny

Yes, thanks all.

Been emailing Cellcentrics regarding this.  We went back and forth.  Same answer you guys gave..Might have to pay a few dollars for telephone service...LOL

Good experience with the support line...

Thanks all

SteveInWA

Yes, that would be the easiest, cleanest solution.  Depending on how many minutes of outbound calling you make, you can probably pick one of their lower-tier plans for not too much money.

azrobert

The following isn't exactly what you want, but should meet your requirement.
I have GV defined on SP1 and Callcentric on SP2.
I used OBi Expert to disable Call Waiting on my OBi.
Physical Interfaces -> Phone1 Port -> CallWaitingEnable: Unchecked

I made an outbound GV call.
I then called my Callcentric number with the GV outbound call still active.
The call was immediately directed to the Callcentric voicemail with message "The person you are trying to reach is unavailable. Please leave a message after the tone.".
If you don't have Callcentric VM setup, I THINK you will just get the message the person is unavailable.

SteveInWA

Quote from: azrobert on October 26, 2017, 09:05:06 PM
The following isn't exactly what you want, but should meet your requirement.
I have GV defined on SP1 and Callcentric on SP2.
I used OBi Expert to disable Call Waiting on my OBi.
Physical Interfaces -> Phone1 Port -> CallWaitingEnable: Unchecked

I made an outbound GV call.
I then called my Callcentric number with the GV outbound call still active.
The call was immediately directed to the Callcentric voicemail with message "The person you are trying to reach is unavailable. Please leave a message after the tone.".
If you don't have Callcentric VM setup, I THINK you will just get the message the person is unavailable.

Please stop posting these non-working solutions for Google Voice.  Your configuration is forwarding the call to Google Voice's voicemail, not to Callcentric.

azrobert

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 26, 2017, 09:08:06 PM
Please stop posting these non-working solutions for Google Voice.  Your configuration is forwarding the call to Google Voice's voicemail, not to Callcentric.

I think my non-working solution might work. If you read my post carefully, you will see I didn't call my GV number. I called Callcentric directly, so I WAS sent to Callcentric VM. I did this because I'm not setup to forward GV calls to my Callcentric account.

I just did another experiment. I called my GV number with CallWaiting disabled. I then called the same GV number again with the 1st call still active. I heard 4 rings, approximately 25 seconds before I was sent to GV VM. Again, if you read my post carefully, I was sent to Callcentric VM immediately. This should have given to a hint that it wasn't GV VM.

The OBi should immediately send an SIP Response Code 486 "Busy Here" to Callcentric whether the call is forwarded from GV or received directly and Callcentric VM should pick up before GV VM.

Since I didn't test the same setup, the OP will have to test my solution to see if it actually works. I hope he does and reports back.

GPz1100

We have our set up configured as azrobert describes.

Google voice mail will always intercept the call.  While callcentric's vm might pick up, all you'll end up with is silence in the recorded message.

There really is no perfect solution to this unless you're running a pbx which is answering all inbound calls (and routing appropriately) so that google voice mail can't intercept the call.  This isn't a bad option but adds another layer of complexity and point of failure.  In addition, the problem with this is you lose gv's transcription ability and syncing the voice message with android's google voice app.

I decided the best set up here was to have google voice mail email the voice message along with attachment to a pc that's almost always on during the day.  In addition, the google account used for this line is set up as an additional account on an android cell phone.

On occasional there is some voice mail confusion between the answering machine and google voice, but it's minimum and something we can live with.  Personally I'd like to do away with the answering machine altogether, but other household members don't see it that way :)

SteveInWA

Quote from: azrobert on October 26, 2017, 10:39:06 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on October 26, 2017, 09:08:06 PM

I think my non-working solution might work. If you read my post carefully, you will see I didn't call my GV number. I called Callcentric directly, so I WAS sent to Callcentric VM. I did this because I'm not setup to forward GV calls to my Callcentric account.

I just did another experiment. I called my GV number with CallWaiting disabled. I then called the same GV number again with the 1st call still active. I heard 4 rings, approximately 25 seconds before I was sent to GV VM. Again, if you read my post carefully, I was sent to Callcentric VM immediately. This should have given to a hint that it wasn't GV VM.

The OBi should immediately send an SIP Response Code 486 "Busy Here" to Callcentric whether the call is forwarded from GV or received directly and Callcentric VM should pick up before GV VM.

Since I didn't test the same setup, the OP will have to test my solution to see if it actually works. I hope he does and reports back.

I did read your post carefully, which is what proved my point.  If you are exactly quoting the voicemail greeting you heard, then that is the Google Voice standard system greeting.  It's not the Callcentric greeting.

Here is a sample of Kiki's voice, the Google employee who recorded all of the GV messages:
http://googlevoiceblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/new-voice-of-google-voice.html

mo832

I was reading this thread for general interest (and possibly a future need for the same feature) and the question that came up for me is- How is it possible for GV VM to "always" pick up the call even if it is dialed directly to the CC number? If you don't dial the GV inbound number at all, and go directly to CC, how does GV even know about it?