News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Questions about Obi200 from a newbie.

Started by termite, November 02, 2017, 06:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

termite

I'm currently looking at getting an Obi200 in order to leave my phone provider's landline service. My plan is either to port my current number to TMobile and then to Google Voice, or use a number provided by Google Voice.

How long does it usually take until I can transfer a new TMobile number to Google Voice? Are there any cheap alternatives to doing this in the states?

Is it possible to plug Obi200 into my home's phone line so I could use phones(handsets) in different rooms? I currently have three handsets plugged into my home's outlets, all on same phone number.

drgeoff

Quote from: termite on November 02, 2017, 06:30:17 AM
Is it possible to plug Obi200 into my home's phone line so I could use phones(handsets) in different rooms? I currently have three handsets plugged into my home's outlets, all on same phone number.
Yes you can connect the OBi to any phone socket on the house wiring and have all* the phones on any other sockets connected PROVIDED you first ensure that the house wiring is properly physically disconnected from the telco's landline.  Cessation of service by the landline telco is not sufficient.

(* OBis are specified to handle phones with a total REN of 5. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringer_equivalence_number. With modern phones you are unlikely to hit that limit unless you live in a mansion.)