December 10, 2017, 07:55:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Forum Home   Search Login Register OBiTALK  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Google Voice "Backing off" Errors: November 3rd Status  (Read 11252 times)
SteveInWA
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« on: November 02, 2017, 06:48:43 pm »

I spoke with Obihai at 6:15pm today, and here is what has happened, and what will be done to fix it.

Background:

OBi devices act as Google "Chat" (XMPP) clients, that can receive calls forwarded from a Google Voice inbound phone number.  To do that, the OBi device needs to connect to a XMPP server in Google's pool of servers.  Since this is a secure connection, the device needs a valid SSL/TLS certificate to connect.  Google is changing their server certificates.  This is causing some, but not all, OBi<-->Google XMPP connection attempts to be rejected by the server, when attempting to connect to one of their servers with a new certificate installed.  Since the server pool is load-balanced, some users are affected, and others not.

Google is rolling out the new certificates, and so eventually, all OBi devices will fail to connect.

What has been done by Obihai to resolve this:

Obihai has modified the device firmware for their current products to use the new certificates.  The yellow triangle you'll see in the OBiTALK dashboard is because Obihai is pushing new firmware out to all 200-series and 10x2 series products, regardless of their warranty or post-warranty paid support status.

FAQs

• Is Obihai trying to rip us off and require payment to fix this?  Absolutely not.  The firmware will be made available to every 200 and 10x2 device, free of charge, and if the device is registered on the OBiTALK web portal, the firmware will be pushed to you; all you will need to do is click the yellow triangle.
  • Is Google killing or banning OBi use for Google Voice?  No.  Google is just changing their server certificates.  There are no plans to discontinue either Google Voice itself, nor to discontinue the use of OBi devices with Google Voice.
  • Are there any settings I can change to fix this?  It's recommended that you use Google's DNS pool, (set DNS1 to 8.8.8.8 for primary and set DNS2 to 8.8.4.4 for secondary).  This will eliminate the possibility of errors that might be caused by some other DNS lookup.  However, by itself, it won't solve this particular issue.
  • What should I do now?  Update the device's firmware when presented with the yellow triangle.  You can still use Google Voice with regular 10-digit phone linked/forwarding phone numbers, and with Google Hangouts.  Remember:  Hangouts operates independently from any "Chat" settings on your Google Voice settings page.  Each Hangouts client (web, Android or iOS) has its own toggle switch to turn on or off ringing on inbound calls.
  • But, I have an OBi 100 (or 110).  What about mine?  Obihai announced end-of-life for the 100 series in August of last year.  There are no firmware updates for the 100 series.  Your options are to either buy a new OBi 200 series product, or to use the Simonics GVGW gateway, which transforms Google's XMPP protocol into standard SIP protocol, which still works on the 100 series products.  Step-by-step instructions to use the GVGW are posted here:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13147.msg84459#msg84459
  • <Insert conspiracy theory or angry rant here>.  Opinions, theories and emotional replies will be cheerfully ignored.

Latest firmware:

Clicking the yellow triangle will update your devices, as of 7pm Pacific time, 11/3/2017:

• OBi 2xx series:  3.2.1 (Build: 5757EX)
  • OBi 10x2 series IP phones:  5.1.7 (Build: 4666EX.1311)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 02:22:04 pm by OBiSupport » Logged

LTN1

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 07:14:15 pm »

Thanks, Steve.
SteveInWA

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 07:25:32 pm »

I edited the post.

Please don't hijack this thread.  It's meant as an announcement and status report, not a discussion.

Webslinger

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 07:30:08 pm »

Sorry, if I'm not allowed to ask this here, but given that OBi110/100 devices weren't mentioned, will OBi110/100 users be out of luck due to the EOL announcement? http://blog.obihai.com/

I don't own OBi100/110 devices, but I know some people that do.

"With this EOL announcement, affecting only the OBi100 and OBi110, it is important to understand that Obihai will no longer develop and release software updates. What does this mean? For example, if Google Voice, Anveo or any other service makes changes in the way they deliver their service where new software is required for the continued use the service with the OBi device, it will not be made available for the OBi100 and OBi110."

Seems what I just quoted applies.
Taoman

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 07:45:58 pm »

Google is rolling out the new certificates, and so eventually, all OBi devices will fail to connect.

So this means all OBi100/OBi110 series devices connecting to Google Voice will eventually fail. Should probably start a separate thread for those folks. In my view there are 2 viable options for most 100/110 users:

1>Purchase a supported Obihai device
2>Subscribe to Simonics GV gateway
SteveInWA

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 07:49:51 pm »

So this means all OBi100/OBi110 series devices connecting to Google Voice will eventually fail. Should probably start a separate thread for those folks. In my view there are 2 viable options for most 100/110 users:

1>Purchase a supported Obihai device
2>Subscribe to Simonics GV gateway

As I understand it, you are correct.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 02:21:29 pm by OBiSupport » Logged

FormerYooper

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 07:01:39 am »

Thanks a bunch, Steve!  You're always so helpful.  Firmware update successful on my OBi200. 
glenviewjeff

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 08:05:33 am »

Last night, because the automatic update (yellow triangle) kept failing, I manually updated my firmware to 3.2.1 5757EX and everything is now working correctly.
steve45

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 09:40:25 am »

Updated firmware by clicking on yellow (looked more like orange to me) triangle. Successfully updated firmware and is working - green phone light is green and steady and one phone call worked. Thanks to SteveInWA for all you've done to help fix this and also to OBi for getting it done.

One last question. Should I return to original DNS Server settings (router IP and blank), or should I go with Google - 8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.2?
DaveKr

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 02:47:31 pm »

OK, I bought an Obi110 when I moved to another state in late 2010, it basically died yesterday as all the DNS servers caught up. 

I was going to go with a SIP forwarder to GV, but I figured the 110s paid for itself after almost 7 years of free POTS, bought the Obi200 today, free same day shipping with Prime.  4 hours later, it's on my door step on a Saturday.  Like 5 minutes to set up and I'm back online.  My recomendation to 110 holdouts, just cough up $50 bucks for the 200, it's great technology.

SteveInWA

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 08:36:25 pm »

Updated firmware by clicking on yellow (looked more like orange to me) triangle. Successfully updated firmware and is working - green phone light is green and steady and one phone call worked. Thanks to SteveInWA for all you've done to help fix this and also to OBi for getting it done.

One last question. Should I return to original DNS Server settings (router IP and blank), or should I go with Google - 8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.2?

Thanks for your feedback!  It's up to you.  I recommend using the Google DNS because a) its very fast, and b) it won't annoyingly re-direct you to some domain selling website or search engine.

Note that the two DNS servers are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, not 8.4.4.4

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: