News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Backing Off : TCP connection to 173.194.193.125 failed . . . is BACK AGAIN

Started by martinsmithson, November 03, 2017, 08:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atom

Why is the OBI100/110 picture showing on the banner of the homepage and says "Works with Google Voice" and "Officially supported" still there?

Obi100 still being sold on amazon, first bullet point says "Works with google voice"

I was told that it was End of Life?

I'd like a firmware update please as it was noted this was only a google certificate update.  I'm getting the "Backing off" msg as of yesterday.

Please don't delete my posts this time.  A forum is normally a place where users go to share information. If the useful info is deleted then what is the point?

Thanks

Jackson

Quote from: atom on November 07, 2017, 11:16:51 PM
Why is the OBI100/110 picture showing on the banner of the homepage and says "Works with Google Voice" and "Officially supported" still there?

Obi100 still being sold on amazon, first bullet point says "Works with google voice"

WelshPaul

They forgot to update Amazon.co.uk:

So there you have it! There will be no firmware update for the OBi1xx series for sure.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

atom

Nice, after posting yesterday and having my post removed, it seems someone updated the amazon bullet point that it works with google voice.

Its still on the homepage banner though.

atom

From Google Cache as of Nov 5th(was the same yesterday)
First Bullet Point...

Good luck to all the people that purchased the obi100 from amazon recently

WelshPaul

Quote from: atom on November 08, 2017, 06:08:31 AM
First Bullet Point...

They can be returned for a refund if purchased recently.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

SteveInWA

Quote from: atom on November 08, 2017, 06:08:31 AM
First Bullet Point...

Obihai can't control whether or not third-parties sell their products on Amazon.  The listing you are describing is an unauthorized private party selling old-stock products.  It has no bearing whatsoever on anything to do with this issue.

atom

Obihai sure got them to change it quickly.  Funny when I looked at Amazon yesterday it said that I purchased that item, with that description.

Even if it somehow is not authorized Obihai as a brand owner can get it done to make the description accurate.

The banner on their own website still isn't accurate to me atleast

SteveInWA

Quote from: atom on November 08, 2017, 03:46:43 PM
Obihai sure got them to change it quickly.  Funny when I looked at Amazon yesterday it said that I purchased that item, with that description.

Even if it somehow is not authorized Obihai as a brand owner can get it done to make the description accurate.

The banner on their own website still isn't accurate to me atleast

You are misunderstanding how products are sold on Amazon, regardless of whether the product is from Obihai, or from any other manufacturer.  Amazon unfortunately lumps third party sellers into the same listing as the manufacturer's own.  The manufacturer has no control over this.  As long as the third party isn't selling counterfeit merchandise (think fake designer handbags), the manufacturer can't kick off the third party listings.

None of this has any relevance to the availability of firmware.

If you don't want to buy a new OBi, you can re-purpose it as a SIP ATA, and use it with the Simonics Google Voice Gateway, or with any SIP service provider.

See:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13147.0

atom

I thought there was usually 1 listing per product, at least that is what I see for the obi100. There are multiple sellers but one description.

Anyway, you're right... nothing to do with this topic.

Are there any free alternatives that will work with gv with the obi100 if we have no options of getting the firmware updated?  Is it possible for someone to modify the latest obi110 firmware so that it will contain the same updates that obi2xx users received? 

Does anyone have the skills to compare the .fw files of the last obi2xx and the new obi2xx firmware that resolves this issue and somehow incorporate those changes into the latest obi110 firmware?

LTN1

Quote from: atom on November 08, 2017, 08:08:53 PM
Does anyone have the skills to compare the .fw files of the last obi2xx and the new obi2xx firmware that resolves this issue and somehow incorporate those changes into the latest obi110 firmware?

I have a friend, a software engineer. He moonlights doing these things. He charges about $200 per hour and says he can probably incorporate the codes from the 2XX into the 1XX--and will probably only take about 7.5 hours to do. I can put you in touch with him...or you can buy the OBi212 for $80. Hard to decide isn't it?

SteveInWA

I thought there was usually 1 listing per product, at least that is what I see for the obi100. There are multiple sellers but one description.

Are there any free alternatives that will work with gv with the obi100 if we have no options of getting the firmware updated?  Is it possible for someone to modify the latest obi110 firmware so that it will contain the same updates that obi2xx users received? 

Give it a rest.  If you keep posting about firmware hacking, you're likely to get banned from this company-sponsored forum.  Are you really sooooo cheap that you refuse to spend a few bucks to use the Simonics GVGW?

atom

Quote from: LTN1 on November 08, 2017, 08:23:24 PM

I have a friend, a software engineer. He moonlights doing these things. He charges about $200 per hour and says he can probably incorporate the codes from the 2XX into the 1XX--and will probably only take about 7.5 hours to do. I can put you in touch with him...or you can buy the OBi212 for $80. Hard to decide isn't it?

Ahh, he must be the one selling the old devices on amazon with his updated firmware. I'm totally kidding don't ban me!

atom

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 08, 2017, 08:25:20 PM

Give it a rest.  If you keep posting about firmware hacking, you're likely to get banned from this company-sponsored forum.  Are you really sooooo cheap that you refuse to spend a few bucks to use the Simonics GVGW?

I just asked if it was possible, and If so can anyone do it. I wasn't aware that this was "hacking" and against some rule. SORRY Sir

Is there an End of Life listing for all of their products?  I was thinking about buying a new one, but I'm afraid they will announce EOL suddenly for my newly purchased device.

WelshPaul

Quote from: atom on November 08, 2017, 09:33:51 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on November 08, 2017, 08:25:20 PM

Are there any free alternatives that will work with gv with the obi100 if we have no options of getting the firmware updated?  Is it possible for someone to modify the latest obi110 firmware so that it will contain the same updates that obi2xx users received?  

Give it a rest.  If you keep posting about firmware hacking, you're likely to get banned from this company-sponsored forum.  Are you really sooooo cheap that you refuse to spend a few bucks to use the Simonics GVGW?

I just asked if it was possible, and If so can anyone do it. I wasn't aware that this was "hacking" and against some rule. SORRY Sir

Is there an End of Life listing for all of their products?  I was thinking about buying a new one, but I'm afraid they will announce EOL suddenly for my newly purchased device.

Is there something wrong with you? I can't work out if you're stupid, trolling or plain old tight. The OBi1xx series has been EOL for over a year now and as explained many times now, they will not receive any firmware updates. So either pay the $6 and use the Simonics GVGW or purchase an OBi200, OBi202 or OBi212.

FYI, nobody here knows when the OBi2xx series will reach EOL status. Given that the OBi212 has only recently been released, it's likely going to be around for a few years to come for sure.

On a final note, maybe you should look at using a SIP based VoIP provider rather than Google Voice because if you think that you're going to purchase a VoIP ATA and use it along side a free VoIP service such as Google Voice to obtain a free phone line until your passing then you're in for more bad news i'm afraid.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

drgeoff

The SIP standards are reasonably stable so there is a good chance that a SIP based hardware product will keep working until the hardware conks out.

Google's past is littered with things it has changed or abandoned.  I don't expect the future to be different. 

atom

Dude its only a one time $6 fee @ Simonics.  Signed up, set up and obi100 is working again.  Just like the title, I'm "backing off" 

Thanks to everyone that provided useful info and sorry for being a d**k!

jmsnyc

Hey quick question, is it $6 per GV account or $6 per Obi device ?  Guessing if I am currently using two GV numbers with my Obi10 so guessing its $12.  either way it is still cheap, just curious.   I will probably do this tomorrow as I wasted some time trying to resolve the backing off error and its 2am

SteveInWA

It is six dollars per Google account.

Why not just buy a new OBi 200 and be happy?

atom

I'm guessing it's per google voice number, but not sure. I ended up just buying an obi202 with 2 lines for around $50 after I paid the $6. I'm sure this simon guy is cool and all but I just didn't feel right after a couple of days giving him access to my google voice account/text/audio etc. I revoked access and gave obi access again.  Lets hope this 202 lasts 6-7 yrs like my obi100.