News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Backing Off : TCP connection to 173.194.193.125 failed . . . is BACK AGAIN

Started by martinsmithson, November 03, 2017, 08:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billsimon

Quote from: atom on December 04, 2017, 11:20:20 PM
I'm guessing it's per google voice number, but not sure. I ended up just buying an obi202 with 2 lines for around $50 after I paid the $6. I'm sure this simon guy is cool and all but I just didn't feel right after a couple of days giving him access to my google voice account/text/audio etc. I revoked access and gave obi access again.  Lets hope this 202 lasts 6-7 yrs like my obi100.

Thanks for assuming I'm cool  ;)

To be very clear about the access Google Voice Gateway (and its proprietor) have:

You authorize systems that have our app credentials (specifically, any of the current 7 GVGW VoIP servers) to log in to your Google Chat account ONLY. There is no other access to your Google account, including the Google Voice page, SMSes, or anything else. Audio does pass through our servers, obviously, but it is not monitored (Who has time for that?) nor is it tracked in any way that would make it convenient or easy to do so. Use TLS to hide your signaling for good measure.

truelies

My obi100 doesn't work today, it shows

Backing Off :
TCP connection to 173.194.200.125 failed

, Not at Nov 3 like others. So the OBI100 won't be able to work with google voice anymore?

Jackson

atom

Quote from: billsimon on December 05, 2017, 09:19:06 AM

Thanks for assuming I'm cool  ;)

To be very clear about the access Google Voice Gateway (and its proprietor) have:

You authorize systems that have our app credentials (specifically, any of the current 7 GVGW VoIP servers) to log in to your Google Chat account ONLY. There is no other access to your Google account, including the Google Voice page, SMSes, or anything else. Audio does pass through our servers, obviously, but it is not monitored (Who has time for that?) nor is it tracked in any way that would make it convenient or easy to do so. Use TLS to hide your signaling for good measure.

Hi Mr. Simon! Thanks for your response and for clearing some things up. To be clear on my end, I really do think you're cool and not the creepy guy listening to our conversations on the weekends :-) After I signed up I was checking out the third party app access in my google account and saw the attached Image below.

It just made me think, who is this guy and what have I done. It says it has access to google hangouts, view and send chat messages. If one has the option turned on to receive google voice texts and voicemail via hangouts I was unsure. I thought I may have just given access to my SMS and voicemail which I really didn't want to give a guy that I don't know. I don't know why, but I feel more comfortable giving a company that sells their products at Bestbuy/Walmart/Newegg etc the same access instead.  But seeing your reply here makes me want to trust you more.

I couldn't stop thinking about it, I'm weird like that... Around the same time I get a promo for the obi202 from newegg so I just picked one of those up. Now obi has access to view and send chat messages. :-)

You have made the Google Voice Gateway service very easy to set up/use and a great option for older obi100 devices that now receive the "Backing off" error. I also enjoyed seeing caller ID as well. From the few days that I used it, it worked very well.  Thank you for giving us the option for the ridiculously low one time $6 setup fee.

vtsnaab

We have Simonics set up on a Panasonic cordless SIP phone & after the initial setup it has been 100% flawless.

As of this morning BOTH our Obi boxes ceased to function;

No big shock with the Obi110 - but the Obi2xx also quit at the very same time.

None of this is endearing me towards Obi anymore except to use the boxes as ATAs going forward; absolutely NOT planning to buy anymore stuff from Obi when there are other alternatives that can work with GV and need not cost as much as Obi products tend to, even during their 'sales'.

So - currently seeking other good ideas for connecting before pulling the trigger to move our lines over to the GVGW.
Any further helpful info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

SteveInWA

Quote from: atom on December 05, 2017, 12:54:26 PM
Quote from: billsimon on December 05, 2017, 09:19:06 AM

Thanks for assuming I'm cool  ;)

Hi Mr. Simon! Thanks for your response and for clearing some things up. To be clear on my end, I really do think you're cool and not the creepy guy listening to our conversations on the weekends :-) After I signed up I was checking out the third party app access in my google account and saw the attached Image below.

It just made me think, who is this guy and what have I done. It says it has access to google hangouts, view and send chat messages. If one has the option turned on to receive google voice texts and voicemail via hangouts I was unsure. I thought I may have just given access to my SMS and voicemail which I really didn't want to give a guy that I don't know. I don't know why, but I feel more comfortable giving a company that sells their products at Bestbuy/Walmart/Newegg etc the same access instead.  But seeing your reply here makes me want to trust you more.

I couldn't stop thinking about it, I'm weird like that... Around the same time I get a promo for the obi202 from newegg so I just picked one of those up. Now obi has access to view and send chat messages. :-)

You have made the Google Voice Gateway service very easy to set up/use and a great option for older obi100 devices that now receive the "Backing off" error. I also enjoyed seeing caller ID as well. From the few days that I used it, it worked very well.  Thank you for giving us the option for the ridiculously low one time $6 setup fee.

What Bill is discussing is this:

In ye olden days, users would authenticate to their Google accounts by supplying an email address and a password.  That gave whoever had those two things complete access to that Google account; a very bad idea.  Google implemented a safer alternative, using a secure (digitally signed) token exchange, known as OAUTH 2.0.  By using OAUTH, Google can limit access to specific services on your Google account.  The party desiring access (Obihai or Simonics) sends a request to Google, which then pops a dialog box or page, asking that Google user if it's ok to allow that third party access to the specific service you want to use with them, and you approve.  At no point does the third party ever have your Google password.

So, specific to Google Voice, GVGW is just being granted access, by you, to the telephony stuff, and nothing else.

jmsnyc

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 04, 2017, 11:16:08 PM
It is six dollars per Google account.

Why not just buy a new OBi 200 and be happy?

I'd rather spend $6 than $60.

Something must have been wrong last night.  Now it is working.  I am guessing you do not thinking "working " on 110 will be consistent

SteveInWA

Quote from: jmsnyc on December 05, 2017, 05:21:00 PM

I'd rather spend $6 than $60.

Something must have been wrong last night.  Now it is working.  I am guessing you do not thinking "working " on 110 will be consistent

Right -- you cannot assume that a OBi 110 or 100 will keep working with Google Voice.  Eventually, you will need to either upgrade to an OBi 200 series, or use the Simonics GVGW, or not use Google Voice.

JLDP

We were hit by the same problem yesterday. Googled a lot, fixed it by adding a DNS server.
Came home from work to the same problem, again. No DNS server setting in our box either.
How often do we need to set the DNS server? Is GV erasing it remotely?
Why even the need for DNS entries? If configured properly, the service should work flawlessly, without IT-level intervention in Expert Mode etc. It worked for years. Who broke it?
</rant>

I'll see if I can fix it. Again.
We need our phone line ... you know ... for making phone calls. Daring, right? It's not here only for decoration.
Hoping that there is a more permanent fix than temporary DNS settings.

drgeoff

Quote from: JLDP on December 06, 2017, 03:41:17 PM
We were hit by the same problem yesterday. Googled a lot, fixed it by adding a DNS server.
Came home from work to the same problem, again. No DNS server setting in our box either.
How often do we need to set the DNS server? Is GV erasing it remotely?
Why even the need for DNS entries? If configured properly, the service should work flawlessly, without IT-level intervention in Expert Mode etc. It worked for years. Who broke it?
</rant>

I'll see if I can fix it. Again.
We need our phone line ... you know ... for making phone calls. Daring, right? It's not here only for decoration.
Hoping that there is a more permanent fix than temporary DNS settings.
There are three permanent fixes.  All have been discussed many, many times in these forums.

1.  If you have an Obi2xx device or an OBi IP phone it needs a firmware update.

2.  If you have an OBi1x0 device then either replace it with an OBi2xx

or

3.  Pay the one-time $6 to use the Simonics GV gateway.

Changing DNS is just playing whack-a-mole except that sooner or later your mallet will break - game over.

JLDP

Thank you for the explanation.
I do not normally go and read these forums, I only came by from a Google link while searching for a fix to my problem.
Truth is I got spoiled by nice companies that at least try to notify their customers before they discontinue their service. I completely forgot that we're dealing with Google instead.

The second DNS fix didn't take so it is time to either pay Mr. Simon or buy an expensive new box to replace one that isn't broken. Thanks, Google! </sarcasm>
And thanks, Geoff, appreciate the input.

utsc

Hi Steve,

Brand New OBi 100 & 110 was SOLD online in major online retailers without EOL warning recently. I did see it with my own eyes about 6 months ago as I was comparing prices and purchased Obi 200 as it was on "sale" for my relative.

I have been using  my OBi 110 for about 5 years or even more and I have purchased about 4 devices for my extended family and recommended OBi for a lot of friends and also in many forum posts as I strongly believed that OBi was the best device for GV.

Therefore IF OBi thinks that customer good will and word of mouth marketing is  worth nothing for OBi then go ahead with EOL non support.  EOL non support is a pure money grabbing strategy to sell new devices as the OBi 100/110 hardware is fully capable of handling Google Voice. Importantly there is very minimal improvement (IF ANY) in the OBi 200 series devices. Hence it's not like throwing away your iPhone 5 to buy an iPhone 8 

SteveInWA

Quote from: utsc on December 07, 2017, 06:01:00 PM

Hi Steve,

Brand New OBi 100 & 110 was SOLD online in major online retailers without EOL warning recently. I did see it with my own eyes about 6 months ago as I was comparing prices and purchased Obi 200 as it was on "sale" for my relative.

I have been using  my OBi 110 for about 5 years or even more and I have purchased about 4 devices for my extended family and recommended OBi for a lot of friends and also in many forum posts as I strongly believed that OBi was the best device for GV.

Therefore IF OBi thinks that customer good will and word of mouth marketing is  worth nothing for OBi then go ahead with EOL non support.  EOL non support is a pure money grabbing strategy to sell new devices as the OBi 100/110 hardware is fully capable of handling Google Voice. Importantly there is very minimal improvement (IF ANY) in the OBi 200 series devices. Hence it's not like throwing away your iPhone 5 to buy an iPhone 8 

Nightowl

For the love of gawd, why won't you just accept the posted answers?  Your OBi 100 will not work any more with Google Voice.  It may work today or tomorrow, but it will soon stop working entirely.  There is no solution, other than to a) use the Simonics Google Voice Gateway via SIP, or to buy a new OBi 200 device.
[/quote]

Steve thanks for the Simonics gateway idea.  My old Obi110 worked fine up till December 7, 2017.  I already bought the Obi 200 a couple days ago so it has replaced the 110.  I could give the 110 to my daughter.

azrobert

Quote from: Nightowl on December 07, 2017, 08:46:24 PM
I already bought the Obi 200 a couple days ago so it has replaced the 110.  I could give the 110 to my daughter.

When you get your OBi200, you can define 2 GV trunks on it, one for you and one for your daughter. She can then access the OBi200 from the OBi110 and make and receive calls, both of you could be on simultaneous calls. No need for the Simonics GVGW.

Here is the setup:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13136.0

Svakars

There is another way to keep Google Voice.
1. Create a Callcentric SIP account on second OBI 100/110 profile.
2. Assign the incoming Free New York number to your Callcentric account.
3. In Google Voice settings forward ALL calls to the Free New York number.

At least you can receive all incoming calls to your Google account for Free!
As a temporarily solution.
I am hoping that one day Google service will be back to OBI 100/110.
If you need to make calls from a Google number:

For outgoing calls you need to delete Google Voice profile and create an account with Localphone .
I think you have to put $10 credit to be able to make outgoing calls. $0.005c per minute in US. $0.01 for UK calls .etc.
You can assign outcoming calls with your Google number. In this way your recipients will see that you are calling from the Google number. 

jmsnyc

Quote from: Jackson on December 05, 2017, 11:45:59 AM
Quote from: truelies on December 05, 2017, 11:31:09 AM
My obi100 doesn't work today, it shows

..... So the OBI100 won't be able to work with google voice anymore?

Pony up $6 and get/do this.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13147.0

Quick question on this.  Once you sign up and get SIP credentials , you can use your GV on any generic sip app on Android ?  Any app that will support GV text messages with this as I hate the GV app?

billsimon

Quote from: jmsnyc on December 09, 2017, 09:24:55 AM
Quick question on this.  Once you sign up and get SIP credentials , you can use your GV on any generic sip app on Android ?  Any app that will support GV text messages with this as I hate the GV app?

You can use Android SIP apps. I use and recommend Grandstream Wave. The native Android SIP dialer doesn't work.

SMS is not supported.

jmsnyc

Quote from: billsimon on December 09, 2017, 09:40:05 AM
Quote from: jmsnyc on December 09, 2017, 09:24:55 AM

You can use Android SIP apps. I use and recommend Grandstream Wave. The native Android SIP dialer doesn't work.

SMS is not supported.

Thank you .

heny

paid $6 and setup GVGW, now it is working. thanks!

I have my settings in obitalk, I am thinking to move all the settings back to my obi100 device so won't have to rely on obitalk.com at all.

here is my current setting:
sp1 connects to GVGW.
SP2 connects to callcentric (GV also forward calls to that callcentric number)
voice gateway 3: set to voip provider for international calling. (using digitalmap to router calls).

are those all possible to setup locally in the obi100 interface? any guide?

Thanks!