News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Call waiting drops original call

Started by AndyJ, August 09, 2011, 06:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyJ

Scenario with OBi110 and 2384 firmware:
(1) I place an outgoing call using VG1, which is configured to use SP2(tollfreetollfree.com). SP2 is registered to a different SIP provider.
(2) There is an incoming call on LINE port. I hear the call waiting tone.
(3) I flash to switch to the incoming call. The call is successfully connected to PHONE.
(4) 10 seconds later, the outgoing call on VG1/SP2 is disconnected.

OBiSupport

Hi Andy,

There might be many reasons causing this disconnection, so we like to have you provide more information to us -

1/ Does it happen consistently around 10 seconds? would it be OK if call on-hold time is less than 10 seconds? does it happen in all call waiting cases?

2/ If you use SP1 (with another SIP provider), would you be able to see the call disconnected as well? is this the particular SIP provider related?

3/ If you simply put the call on hold, i.e., hook flash, for a little while, will you see the call dropped? Does it need to have call waiting involved?

You may contact us at support@obihai.com with your 9-digit OBi number, so we can have instant email message communication, and possible remote diagnostic on your device, thank you,

AndyJ

After trying to reproduce, here's what is actually happening:

After getting the call waiting tone and flashing to the incoming PSTN call, if I then hang up instead of flashing back to the VG1/SP2 call, I get a brief ring (for the VG1/SP2 call on hold) as expected, but then that call is disconnected within a few seconds before I have the chance to answer.

I tried this with an outgoing Google Voice call on SP1, and it worked fine. The brief ring was repeated every 10 seconds after I hung up on the incoming PSTN call to indicate the held call. But, the same is not working with a SIP provider.

So, step 4 in the above scenario really is:
(4) Hang up on the PSTN call. The phone rings briefly to indicate a held call, but then the OBi disconnects the VG1/SP2 call within a few seconds.

AndyJ

It looks like this was actually being caused by the stutter tone detection of one of the phones attached to the OBi110. That particular phone didn't recognize ring pattern 8, which is the default pattern for CallOnHoldRing, as valid (i.e. it wouldn't cause the phone to ring). So, after hanging up on the PSTN call, the OBi110 would ring the phone with pattern 8 - but the phone wouldn't recognize that ring. The phone would then proceed to take the line off-hook for stutter tone detection since it thought the line was free. That would actually answer the call on hold. After attempting stutter tone detection, it would put the line back on-hook, hanging up on the call that was on hold.

Using ring pattern 3 for CallOnHoldRing fixed the issue, since the phone recognizes that as valid and rings. Since the phone is ringing, it does not take the line off-hook for the stutter tone detection.