News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi100 "backing off" suddenly fixed itself, is that permanent?

Started by ouze, November 07, 2017, 06:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ouze

A couple of days ago my Obi 100 stopped working, it was displaying "Backing off". I checked these forums and read all the threads about how there was a certificate change on GV's end, and this was patched for the 200 but the Obi 100 was EOL and would not get a patch. Annoying but whatever.  I went on Amazon and ordered an Obi 200, which should be delivered in a few hours.

So just now the phone rang, which means it's reconnected, and sure enough, the Obi 100 is now connected and working.

Is this a permanent fix - my Obi 100 is now good for the foreseeable future; and I should be returning the 200, or is the 100 going to break again in some point in the neat future due to a certificate propagation?

SteveInWA

No, that's not permanent.  Just enjoy your new OBi 200, and recycle the old one, or use it for SIP VoIP service providers.

atom

Enjoy your obi 200, I have an Obi100 that is End of Life, which can be fixed if this is only a certificate update(which happens every so often). My guess is that your Obi200 will be End of life soon and you'll be buying the Obi300. Enjoy the cycle :-)

I made my first post on this forum today and ALL of my posts were deleted along with a discussion about the Obi100 not receiving a firmware update.  I was on the fence about buying the obi200, but seeing my multiple posts that were deleted rubs me the wrong way.

Just something about this service riding off the backs of google voice, but not keeping their firmware updated for Obi100/110 are you kidding me?

We'll at least I have my OOMA as my reliable service.. Going 8 years with no problems :-)

atom

I had a post count of 8 earlier today. Now I'm back to having a post count of 1?  We'll now 2 posts.  THANKS!

Jackson

Quote from: atom on November 07, 2017, 10:49:07 PM

We'll at least I have my OOMA as my reliable service.. Going 8 years with no problems :-)

Indiana taxes alone for ooma are $4.09/month. Anveo Obi basic is $3.33/month and includes Free unlimited Incoming Calls, E911 and 333 Outbound Minutes US/Canada. Reupping with a 2 year contract brings it down to $2.75/month.

atom

I'm still using the original OOMA, grandfathered and still paying no taxes/fees!  I have recommended OOMA to many and they are still using it today.

I have a problem when you buy hardware that is capable of the service, but the company refuses to update and forces users to buy new hardware.  From my understanding my service is not working because of a server certificate update(which happens every so often duh). Google didn't change the way their service works, it's just a simple certificate update that affected all obi devices and OBI is pulling out the EOL card on the obi100/110 users. 

Ohmytvc15

Quote from: atom on November 08, 2017, 06:25:05 AM

I have a problem when you buy hardware that is capable of the service, but the company refuses to update and forces users to buy new hardware. 

I will never buy anything from Obihai EVER again. I have a problem with corporate a-holes who brick a device you rightfully own and paid for via software/firmware updates without compensating me. Its an ethics thing. I will bad mouth them every opportunity I get.

davidwu

I have bought 2 100 modal. Now it's gone. I will not buy any product from this company again since they don't honor their promise. I just installed google handout dialer on my cellphone and all problem solved.

GPz1100

Quote from: atom on November 08, 2017, 06:25:05 AM
I'm still using the original OOMA, grandfathered and still paying no taxes/fees!  I have recommended OOMA to many and they are still using it today.

I have a problem when you buy hardware that is capable of the service, but the company refuses to update and forces users to buy new hardware.  From my understanding my service is not working because of a server certificate update(which happens every so often duh). Google didn't change the way their service works, it's just a simple certificate update that affected all obi devices and OBI is pulling out the EOL card on the obi100/110 users. 

Rather than posting on the company forum, maybe post on social media (facebook, twitter) to generate more awareness and pressure.  Maybe obi will reverse their position.  Agreed, it is a simple certificate update.  Fundamental operation hasn't changed, just security credentials.  In fact, plain password authentication still works, but is blocked from use by the firmware.  So a bit of a catch 22. 

Personally I don't really care.  If/when obi20x reaches the same fate I'll just run them through the local pbx until the hardware actually fails.  Even then, I have several basic ata's which can interface with gv through the pbx.

davidwu

Yes, we should warn people everywhere to avoid this company.

Jackson

Quote from: davidwu on December 09, 2017, 11:44:56 AM
Yes, we should warn people everywhere to avoid this company.

LOL,  I recommend OBi to everyone.   And an added benefit is this forum.  My OBi100 over the time I used it cost me ~69¢/month... BFD.   When I bailed out of my AT&T landline I was paying $71/year just for taxes and 50¢ minute for long distance.  My Obi100 is going to my cousin, I'll set her up on the Anvo basic plan, which I have and has proven to be reliable, and just for grins I'll throw on an IPComms free DID (mine is a NJ #, you get what they give you) that has free INCOMING calls US/Canada.  Why not? :)  Her landline taxes are ~$92/year BTW.

davidwu

Ye, when you do recommend you should also warn them this product is only good till next modal come out.