News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi100 and Simonics GVGW, status now offline - SOLVED

Started by Darlynne, November 09, 2017, 12:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darlynne

I followed the directions provided by the pinned post in this forum to purchase/set up Simonics GVGW. I made one test phone call successfully and now my SP1 reads "Offline."

I've tried all the troubleshooting steps available--resetting, deleting, reauthorizing GV--even went so far as to contact Bill Simon, who suggested I post here for help.

I'd be grateful for any ideas. Purchasing another OBi device at this time is not an option for me.

Thanks.

GPz1100

Pay close attention when copying/pasting the password.  Most browsers will select the password and the space following it.  Remove that trailing space before pasting.

drgeoff

Quote from: Darlynne on November 09, 2017, 12:21:25 PM
I followed the directions provided by the pinned post in this forum to purchase/set up Simonics GVGW. I made one test phone call successfully and now my SP1 reads "Offline."

I've tried all the troubleshooting steps available--resetting, deleting, reauthorizing GV--even went so far as to contact Bill Simon, who suggested I post here for help.

I'd be grateful for any ideas. Purchasing another OBi device at this time is not an option for me.

Thanks.

Does Obiman still answer with "Welcome to Obitalk ....." when you dial **9 222 222 222   ?

Darlynne

@GPz1100: No spaces were included in the password when pasted. To be sure, I pasted again. Still offline.

@drgeoff: No. Dialing that number, or any, produces this error message: "IP address not available. Please review FAQ. Reason 00 (zero zero)." Does that tell you anything?

drgeoff

Quote from: Darlynne on November 09, 2017, 01:18:42 PM
@drgeoff: No. Dialing that number, or any, produces this error message: "IP address not available. Please review FAQ. Reason 00 (zero zero)." Does that tell you anything?
Yes it means that your OBi is not connected to your router.

Try:

1.  Make sure the ethernet cable is properly plugged in at both ends.

2.  Remove power from the OBi for 15 seconds.  Then plug the power back in.

Shortly after powering up, the power LED should become steady green.  (The power LED is the left hand one  when you see the word 'Obihai' the right way up.)

GPz1100

It sounds like the unit is not communicating with obitalk.  

I'd start by logging into it locally.  Find the ip address from your router or by dialing ***1 into a connected handset.

Login is admin, password is whatever password you configured (or admin if never changed).

What does it say on the status page for under WAN status.  You should have an ip address that starts with the same 3 sets of numbers as the ip for a computer on the same network.

Darlynne

@GPz1100 and drgeoff: I intended to write a message thanking you both because the phone was working (registered) after restarting the router and Obi100, but SP1 is now back to offline.

I reset the router and Obi device again just now, which put me back to registered/solid green light and able to use the phone. But the Obi green light is now flashing and, sure enough, I'm again offline. All I get is a couple of minutes of connection.

The WAN IP address is dynamic and the numbers are completely different from my router IP. I don't know how often Charter/Spectrum changes the IP address, although it should be at least 24-48 hours; static IPs are for their business accounts, AFAIK, dynamic for home.

I should add that whatever the WAN IP has been, we never had a problem with calls until this morning when the end of OBi100 caught up with us.

drgeoff

Which LED is flashing?

The left one (power) should be steady green.  If flashing it means problem is between the OBi and the router.

The middle one should be flickering randomly.  Means data passing between router and OBi.

The  right one (phone) should be solid green except:
flashing when phone off hook or phone being rung.
off when not registered to Service Provider.

Darlynne

The left light is flashing green, the power light. Nothing else flashes when GVGW is offline.

GPz1100

To rule out a bad port or ethernet cable, plug the cable going into the obi into a laptop.  Does the laptop have internet? 

Darlynne

I plugged the OBi cable into the desktop and also plugged it back in to the router. In both instances, the OBi showed as registered, the green power light was solid, and I was able to make calls. I don't know how long that will last, but it doesn't appear to be a problem with the cable or port. I'll check everything again in a few minutes and report back.

Darlynne

The OBi unit is still online and working. I am puzzled that unplugging/plugging the cable would fix this, but who knows? I'll see what it looks like in the morning and, with any luck, I can mark this solved. Thank you for your help.

GPz1100

I've seen stranger things.  "Reseating" electronic parts can do wonders :)  Looking forward to your next update.

Darlynne

And many hours later, still registered, still solid green.  It appears the smallest change was the key. Thank you for your help.

GPz1100

Maybe the wires inside the ethernet cable make a poor internal connection when bent a certain way or maybe something is wrong with/at the connector(s).  It's rare for a cable to go bad but it happens.  I have a length of cat5e which used to perform at gigabit speed but now only manages 100mbps.  I think one of the wires is making poor or no contact at the connector.

zapattack

X_DetectALG
Uncheck   ---->Default
Check left box.

Try  with router SIP enabled and then disabled

SteveInWA

Why are you posting a useless answer to a discussion from 2017 about a service that doesn't exist anymore?

Darlynne

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 12, 2019, 09:12:28 PM
Why are you posting a useless answer to a discussion from 2017 about a service that doesn't exist anymore?
Steve, I believe zapattack was responding to a private message I'd sent him about dropped calls happening again in 2019. His reply was meant for me, not this topic.

zapattack

Link in PM doesn't work.
Refuses to login using same Google Account used here.