News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Other person can't hear me.

Started by mjsobi, August 09, 2011, 10:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjsobi

I am using the Obi100 with google voice.  Frequently, the person I am calling cannot hear me very well and tells me we have a bad connection.  But I can hear them fine.  This happens only intermittently.

I already tried forwarding ports and putting the obi in the DMZ.  QOS didn't help.  And I am not downloading/uploading anything else at the time of phone calls.

Other ideas?

jonsid

When this happens to me I reboot the Obi. That usually fixes it.   I don't know why it happens either.

mjsobi

Thanks, I'll try that.  How often do you need to reboot it?  Also, is there a way to reboot it through the web interface or do I always have to unplug it?

RonR

Obviously, there shouldn't be a need to reboot the OBi periodically for proper operation, but...

If you log into the OBi at the IP address returned by dialing ***1, there's a Reboot button in the upper right corner.

This thread provides a VBS script and discusses a method for rebooting the OBi on a schedule:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1152.0

bitstopjoe

OR you can do a ***9 from the attached phone and do a reboot :)

Same thing happens to me a few times a week where I call someone and they can not hear me. I don't reboot but call right back and have no trouble. Drives me nuts, but what can you do when it is free, ask for a refund :)

Joe Sica

daibaan

This happens to me about once a week, it is totally random, I do not reboot my obi unless I upgrade the firmware. It does not seem like it is related to how long the device has been running.  In fact I am not even sure if this is a Google chat problem or obi problem. Whenever this happen, I always report it to Google (go to Google Voice/call history, find the call history entry, check the "call quality" box with "person cannot hear you", this seems to be a very wild spread problem, hope it get fixed

heydan

Same problem here, the other person cannot hear me on some calls. I have done the port forwarding but it doesn't help. Interesting insight: even when I can't get a GV call to work with the Obi (because the other person can't hear me), I can still make a GV call through gmail and then the other person *does* hear me (even though the ports are still forwarded to the Obi and not the computer running gmail). So I'd say it's a problem in the Obi boxes.

QBZappy

Anybody know if GV has UPnP ability? If so, enabling UPnP on the router might help.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

atbglenn

Same thing happens to mine a couple of times a week. All I do is call them back and everything's fine. I hope they fix the problem soon.

OBiSupport

Quote from: heydan on August 12, 2011, 06:45:16 AM
Same problem here, the other person cannot hear me on some calls. I have done the port forwarding but it doesn't help. Interesting insight: even when I can't get a GV call to work with the Obi (because the other person can't hear me), I can still make a GV call through gmail and then the other person *does* hear me (even though the ports are still forwarded to the Obi and not the computer running gmail). So I'd say it's a problem in the Obi boxes.

Hi Heydan,

Thanks for the finding. We like to look into this problem.

Next time, when you cannot get GV to work, but your Gmail call phone works, can you please contact Obihai support at support@obihai.com with your 9-digit OBi number? so we can have a remote diagnostic, please also not trying to reboot the device, thank you,

- Obihai support

RonR

Obihai support,

Any idea why I haven't received a response to my email requests on 8/5 (2) and 8/7 for assistance with distorted audio through the Auto Attendant?  I sent you a considerable amount of information about the problem including a couple of Syslog's and offered to make the OBi available for remote debugging, but never got a reply.

OBiSupport

Hi RonR,

We apologize if you have emails to us that remains unanswered.

We will look into all your past emails and will address them if any of them sits unattended.

Thanks for all your timely assistance to our OBi users in the forum, it is much appreciated.

- Obihai support

pc44

Heydan and ObiSupport,

If this problem is eventually solved, please let the rest of us know here in this thread.  I am having the very same problem.  Port forwarding in the router has not resolved this either.

Thanks!

bitstopjoe

xincedar

I have the same problem.  Port forwarding or/and QoS in the router no help. I hope the problem will be fixed as soon as possible.

jkmhb

We have had this problem as well. 3 different OBI firmwares (last 2 production and 1 Beta), much frustration and complaints from other family members. It happens at least 3-4 times per week, intermittent. I'm getting pleas to get rid of the OBI.  Reboot also does not seem to resolve it. Has anyone had this problem on one of the older firmwares? Mine is newer, I've had this problem on the 1.2.1 2289 and 2384 releases, plus a beta in between which was supposed to help. I think I'll need to go back to our Cisco SPA3102 without GV until there is a solution.

voicemail

Same here
The most frustrating is after you have been on hold for 20min. just to hear the other person say hello, hello, and when they can't hear you they just hang up.  This happended twice in a row to me  :'(   Tomorrow I have a appointment with comcast.  I will try to get them to install a splitter directly off of my modem bypassing the router.  I will post back it this works.
>
Well, Comcast showed up.  I was told by both the internet and tv departments at Comcast that they have a cat 5 splitter but it could only be installed by a technician. Then the tech showed up and said they have no such thing as a cat 5 splitter.  What a waste time! 
>
any suggestions out there to eliminate these dropped outgoing voice events?  Unhooking the computer and pluging the Obi into the modem is not an option for me.

RonR

Quote from: voicemail on August 15, 2011, 05:38:01 PM
Tomorrow I have a appointment with comcast.  I will try to get them to install a splitter directly off of my modem bypassing the router.  I will post back it this works.

There is no such thing.  The cable modem has one Ethernet port.  If you need to connect more than one device, you connect a router to that single Ethernet port and the router provides the additional Ethernet ports.

RonR

Quote from: OBiSupport on August 12, 2011, 10:52:32 AM
Hi RonR,

We apologize if you have emails to us that remains unanswered.

We will look into all your past emails and will address them if any of them sits unattended.

Thanks for all your timely assistance to our OBi users in the forum, it is much appreciated.

- Obihai support

Still no reply to "DMP Problem" emails dated 7/20 and 8/2 and "pli/Mpli Expansion" email dated 8/7.

corg

I have the same problem. I can hear them well, but they can not hear me 50% of the time.  When the person who I can not hear me dialed the second time, it went fine. This is very annoying.