News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Other person can't hear me.

Started by mjsobi, August 09, 2011, 10:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

friedman29

You can add me to the list of people with the same problem.  I frequently call receptionists and they answer with the name of the company and then say "hello, hello" and hang up.  This happens 1-2 times a week.  One time I was on a conference call that went for like an hour.  I listened the whole time and then tried to chime in at the end and realized that nobody could hear me.  Very frustrating.  I am going to have to get rid of this device if a problem is not found soon.  It otherwise works very well.

richardcoop

My Obi110/GV setup was working fine for more than a month. I then started having this problem. It happens intermittently so it it is very difficult to trouble shoot. 

Drives my wife (and her sister who can't hear) nuts.

Reading this thread there appears to be allot of ideas but really no known user solution.

I'm wondering how prevalent is the problem. Have I just hit a bad stretch due to internet traffic or some such?

One alternative would be to abandon the free Google Voice and switch to another SIP. Is there a problem with that? Can the obi setup approach the quality of POTS .

Somewhat frustrated.  :'(

Comments?

dhfobi

Quote from: richardcoop on March 12, 2012, 05:44:39 AM
My Obi110/GV setup was working fine for more than a month. I then started having this problem. It happens intermittently so it it is very difficult to trouble shoot. 

Drives my wife (and her sister who can't hear) nuts.

Reading this thread there appears to be allot of ideas but really no known user solution.

I'm wondering how prevalent is the problem. Have I just hit a bad stretch due to internet traffic or some such?

One alternative would be to abandon the free Google Voice and switch to another SIP. Is there a problem with that? Can the obi setup approach the quality of POTS .

Somewhat frustrated.  :'(

Comments?

This thread has been ongoing and unresolved for close to 8 months and I too continue to experience the problem sporadically. We call or pickup a call and although we hear the other party perfectly, they cannot hear us at all, that is it's not that we're broken up, but we are not heard at all. If we or they call back, the problem is gone.
Has anyone isolated the problem to the OBi or GV? Is this problem unique to GV and are other service providers not experiencing this problem or is this associated with the OBi device and independent of service provider.
My system is Comcast high speed internet via an SB6120 modem feeding a Linksys wRT54GS running Tomato firmware with QoS on or off which makes no difference. My rates are high, 20mbps down and 4mbps up, which is way more than adequate for VoIP and I have virtually nothing else going on when I experience the problem.
I am willing to change service providers if someone can say with assurance that the problem is with GV and not my OBi100.
I need to do something as the situation is becoming unbearable and if there is no solution I may reluctantly have to return to Vonage. >:(
BTW I have port forwarded the associated ports to the Obi100 and have set the ethernet port to full duplex as previously suggested.
Any final thoughts?

QBZappy

dhfobi,

It seems that you have been persistent in trying to find what is causing this. As a final test, you might consider signing up with a SP like voipms (or any other reliable/reputable high quality SP) on a pay as you go rate. For less than $5 for one month you will be able to know if GV is the culprit. You should be able to have an answer in the first day of use. I think there are even some SPs which provide a small credit to try them. I think that might be the only way that you will know for sure. Then you can decide what you need to do.  I hope you report your findings here if you decide to go that route.

As you noted this is an old thread. Lots of people would be interested.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

dhfobi

Not a bad idea at all, and I was hoping someone else had done that over the past months this problem has been reported.Unfortunately it can work fine for weeks and suddenly several calls in a row have the problem. I wonder if those previously reporting in have either decided to live with it or left the forum and returned to their previous telephone service provider.
Any of you still tuned in?

richardcoop

QBZappy,

We have this from earlier in the thread:

Title: Re: Other person can't hear me.
Post by: jeremyan on September 26, 2011, 02:19:04 PM
I'm having exactly the same issue.  One third of my calls through GV ended up with the other party complaining about breaking up audio.  Sometimes the voice was good for the first minute and it started to break up.  I've tried a lot of suggestions (port fordwarding, DMZ, QOS) with 2 different RGs and none of them helped.  I'm having 2 lines, one is GV and the other is callcentric.  The callcentric one is better in quality but the voice still breaks up sometimes.  I've monitored this forum for quite a while and looks like it's not my own issue.

I have seen lots of things tried in software but maybe it is hardware problem(s).

RonR

Quote from: richardcoop on March 12, 2012, 07:50:32 PM
I have seen lots of things tried in software but maybe it is hardware problem(s).

It's worth people noting their OBi's HardwareVersion in regards to this problem.

I've never had any of these problems and I'm running units that are over a year old here:

HardwareVersion : 2.8

richardcoop

I have hardware version 2.8 also, but components can have some variation.

dhfobi

richardcoop

The maximum operating temperature  of the  obi is 45C (113F). I moved the obi 110 from on top of my warm router.

Lets see if that helps.

dhfobi

Quote from: richardcoop on March 13, 2012, 11:24:27 AM
The maximum operating temperature  of the  obi is 45C (113F). I moved the obi 110 from on top of my warm router.

Lets see if that helps.
Good luck, but don't hold your breath  ;)
Mine is not on top of anything and the room temp is ~65F

richardcoop

So far the voice quality has been better but now I have a new problem. People call, the phone rings and I can't pickuo. The caller is directed to voice mail and I am talking to a dead phone.

I and my wife are at our wits end.

dhfobi

Quote from: richardcoop on March 13, 2012, 03:36:52 PM
I and my wife are at our wits end.

My wife has gone over the edge already, I however are more forgiving,..... up to a point.
35 people have reported the "Other person can't hear me problem" but there has yet to be an investigation and results reported back to this thread. What does it take to get the OBi tech support to investigate and respond? If nothing other than to say "we have exhaustedly investigated these reports and can say with assurance that this is not an Obi problem" That would be acceptable if true and would end this thread an send us elsewhere for the solution. I have Checked the GV forum and other than users not turning the mic on, on their computer, no one is complaining about this problem.

dlee

This has been happening to me too. Randomly. But, today, on all my calls, no one on the other end can hear me.

I have not changed anything on my router, etc., and it was working before.
Also, I forwards ports (listed below) to my Obi110 (I have a WNR3500L)
TCP Ports: 6800, 5222, 5223
UDP Ports: 5060, 5061, 16600 to 16998
Allow Incoming on UDP Port: 10000

I also just used my Obi110 (via Google Voice) to call my cell, and I can not hear my voice on the cell.

I have reboot'd Obi110 serveral times (i.e. did not unplug Obi110)

Found Solution --- FYI -- My PROBLEM started today Mar. 14, 2012 ---
For some reason, the OBi110 is sending out packets on PORT 19305 today.
So, I added port 19305 into my QoS rule and everything worked.

Juniorr

I just received my obi100 today and I am having the exact same problem.
I can hear them fine, they here my voice broken up.
No Solution?
Is it a hardware issue???

hoa2long

Well unfortunately my uncle is the newest victim to this head-scratching dilemma.  His 110 was going fine for the last 2 months or so and then this occurred.  The call could go through but the recipient could not hear anything. I try calling him back on my obi110 and he could hear me fine. I am hoping it's not a hardware issue but as of now there seemed to be no pin-point solution just yet.

winger13

On occasion, my wife places a test call to my work #, and silence. Once she calls me back, no problems.

I am new to OBI, but what level of service are we (customers) expecting to have from tech support? IS it low-level since we only paid $50'ish for the device???

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: winger13 on April 12, 2012, 11:10:31 AMI am new to OBI, but what level of service are we (customers) expecting to have from tech support? IS it low-level since we only paid $50'ish for the device???

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that reading every thread in these forums is not the highest priority for Obihai Support right now, since they are basically focused on getting the OBi202 ready to ship.  So posting here probably does not constitute a support request.

I've always suggested that the best way to get support is to e-mail support@obihai.com and include the 9 digit OBiTALK number from the bottom of your device and a CLEAR description of the problem, including what you have already tried.  I will also note that Obihai has more or less said that if you choose to configure your OBi device manually rather than use the OBiTALK portal, it limits their ability to help you.  So if you choose manual configuration, your support request may gravitate to the bottom of the pile, so to speak.

With the OBi202, I've had a couple of minor issues (though no problems whatsoever with Google Voice, except for the recent weekend when almost everybody was having issues because Google screwed something up) and in both cases they have been able to push a beta firmware build to my device that fixed the issue.  That simply would not be possible if I had followed the bad advice given by one person on these forums that tries to discourage everyone from using the portal (just because HE finds it easier not to use it.  Then he wonders why his support requests get ignored sometimes.  Duh!).

Having said that, there may be reasons that a person cannot get Google Voice to work that are simply beyond Obihai's control.  I always say, if possible, try taking your device to the home of a friend (preferably one using a different ISP than the one you use) and see if you still have the problem.  If not, it's likely either your ISP, the crappy cable or DSL modem they provided, or your router.  Or, you may have configured something incorrectly.

I will also point out that I have never had to forward ports from our router directly to any VoIP hardware device to make it work.  So if you're having to do that, that again indicates you may just have a router issue.  One thing you can temporarily try is connecting the OBi directly to the cable or DSL modem (bypassing the router entirely) to see if that makes a difference.  If it does, it's highly likely that it's your router (or an improper setting in your router).

I'm not saying that when 35 people have an issue that's not significant, but remember that there are thousands of satisfied Obihai users and most of us just aren't seeing the problems you're reporting.  And I am pretty sure that Obihai isn't seeing the issue at their location, or they'd be trying to fix it.  You have to know what's causing a problem before you can fix it, and you have to know that the problem exists, which they actually may not if relatively few people have bothered to file an actual support request rather than just carping in this forum.  There will always be a few people who can't get a a particular networked device to work, and the reasons can be anything from a bad network cable (NOT as rare as you might think!) to a crummy or misconfigured router to a problem with the ISP's service or modem.  Obihai can't control (nor even detect) many of those kinds of situations, nor can any other networked device manufacturer.  Remember, though, that VoIP is much more impacted by severe packet loss than just about any other type of networked service, and that's a problem only your ISP (or you, if it's a bad cable in your home) can fix.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

oregonobi101

have had this problem persistently.

I will buy the obi202 if it fixes this.  It is for sale on Amazon TODAY.  But I will wait for someone else to jump first who is more of an expert on these things.  I think it's $74 on Amazon which is still a bargain, especially if it fixes this annoying issue!

dhfobi

Quote from: MichiganTelephone on April 12, 2012, 03:11:40 PM

I will also point out that I have never had to forward ports from our router directly to any VoIP hardware device to make it work.  So if you're having to do that, that again indicates you may just have a router issue.  One thing you can temporarily try is connecting the OBi directly to the cable or DSL modem (bypassing the router entirely) to see if that makes a difference.  If it does, it's highly likely that it's your router (or an improper setting in your router).

MichiganTelephone:
I'm glad to hear that as I never could understand why it should be necessary to forward ports with a NAT operating router. I forwarded ports recommended in various posts, but now that my system performance seems to have stabilized, I may try to remove the forwards and see if I notice any performance hit. The problem of not being heard is very annoying to me and particularly to my spouse, so I don't want to aggravate the problem.
Although the number of people experiencing this problem is minimal as a percentage of total users, it is none the less real, and hopefully the cause will be stumbled upon and fixed in the future. I'm reasonably sure it is not a hardware problem in my case as I am using a Linksys router running Tomato firmware with QoS enabled, into an SB6120 modem on Comcast HS Internet service. All of which worked perfectly with Vonage. I'm not suggesting the problem is attributable to the OBi100 device as it could be GV's problem, but I am hoping the cause will be found and resolved, and until that time I will live with it.
Thanks for your dissertation as it is insightful and helpful.