News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Simon Telephonics Google Voice Gateway info

Started by billsimon, November 11, 2017, 08:41:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobTeatow

Just another vote of confidence and THANKS.

I have an Obi100 and an Obi110.
The Obi110 just quit today.  Setting up an GVGW account on simonics.com was pretty easy.  My wife's phone is working again. 

And I know what to do if/when the Obi100 croaks.

likeaw

My Obi110 was not working today and used this method to bring it back to life. Thanks.

valley_nomad

Does this gateway have any impact on GV performance?

SteveInWA

Quote from: valley_nomad on December 07, 2017, 04:44:59 PM

There is no noticeable impact on performance.  There are two parts to VoIP calls:  the "signalling" information, and the "media" stream (your digitized voice).  The gateway is taking the XMPP signalling commands and translating them into SIP commands and vice-versa.  There isn't much data in the signalling portion.

The gateway just passes along the same RTP media stream as it gets it; it is not doing any transcoding, so no delay with that.

valley_nomad

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 07, 2017, 05:23:09 PM
Quote from: valley_nomad on December 07, 2017, 04:44:59 PM

There is no noticeable impact on performance.  There are two parts to VoIP calls:  the "signalling" information, and the "media" stream (your digitized voice).  The gateway is taking the XMPP signalling commands and translating them into SIP commands and vice-versa.  There isn't much data in the signalling portion.

The gateway just passes along the same RTP media stream as it gets it; it is not doing any transcoding, so no delay with that.

Thanks for the prompt reply.  I guess my question should be how many calls the gateway can handle simultaneously without noticeable impact on GV call. I guess there must be a large number of Obi1x0 boxes that now start to have that "Backing off" issue....

SteveInWA

Only Bill Simon can answer that, as it depends on his willingness to keep adding more server capacity on his own dime.  Nowadays, servers are virtualized in the cloud, not running on some guy's PC in the basement, so it is pretty easy to dynamically adjust capacity to meet demand.

Taoman

Quote from: valley_nomad on December 07, 2017, 06:27:51 PM
I guess my question should be how many calls the gateway can handle simultaneously without noticeable impact on GV call. I guess there must be a large number of Obi1x0 boxes that now start to have that "Backing off" issue....

Good question. Bill Simon uses DigitalCloud which allows easy scalability. He added a new proxy server 2 days ago and another one today, apparently.

https://simonics.com/news/

MLD100

I got hit with the 'backing off' error a couple of days ago.  Thanks to SteveinWA's detailed instructions I decided to give Simon's GVGW a shot.  I stubbed my toe once getting it going but now it is working fine.  Might go with the OBI200 someday but for now I'm 'backing off'.   8)  I see SteveinWA has hero status.  I guess I would second that.   Like someone else posted, I feed the phone output from the OBI100 into the house wiring (line 2).  It is a two story house and we have phones everywhere.  Not one problem, ever.

ceg3

Having trouble and much frustration with PhonePower losing registration and confusing support and claims they are working a solution to losing the resync feature when they were an ASP.

I decided to delete PP from OBi for now and forward calls to my GV and ran across this thread.  I've have of course heard of the Simonics gateway over the years, but never really looked into it.  Although I have an OBi200 I signed up and set up as a generic following Steve's link to get CNAM. 

MLD100

Regarding the $6 onetime setup fee. I think that is very fair.  In fact, I would be willing to pay the $6 fee next year about this time.  And, every year thereafter that things keep working.   That works out to 50 cents per month.  Heck, I am paying 80 cents a month to Anveo for E911 support.  Also, another $1 per month to Anveo for a phone number for fax and backup.  My wife insists we need the fax although for the last year or so the only fax's we get are the ones we send to ourselves to make sure it is working.  But, the backup did come in handy the last few days.   I am legacy to Anveo but I pay them $1.80 per month for those two things.
So, I am wondering, Mr. Bill, if there is not a bit more of an opportunity.  Not sure what is involved but I would be willing to pay $20 per year, or thereabouts, for clean fax support and E911 support and clean GVGW.  Just my idle $.02.

primerisk

Another vote of confidence in Simonics.com's service.  My Obi110A is rock-solid with this solution!

ceg3

Question for Bill Simon.  In the dashboard:  if say my Simonics GVGW is SP2 I can check to have the primary service in SP1 receive a stutter tone when the GV line  has a voicemail.  Frankly, I've never really realized what that option is supposed to do.  Is there any way this works with the Simonics service?

billsimon

The message waiting indicator (stutter tone in your case; in the case of VoIP desk phones it's usually an LED and a beep) is triggered by a special SIP message from the provider that says whether you have voicemail waiting, and usually how many messages are waiting.

We don't offer that service because that information is not available over the Google XMPP channel in order to relay it to the SIP user.

bruceobi100

I purchased the GWGV this morning and I have incoming calls but no outgoing.  Any suggestions? 

precht

Quote from: bruceobi100 on December 08, 2017, 10:57:33 AM
I purchased the GWGV this morning and I have incoming calls but no outgoing.  Any suggestions? 
Suspect there may be some leftover setting in your Obi settings causing this. I'd consider a reset of the Obi device, then loading up the GVGW credentials

Instructions for resetting:
https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11039.0
https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11039.0

bruceobi100

Reset the Obi 100, added the GVGW, still only incoming and no outgoing. Any ideas?

Taoman

Quote from: bruceobi100 on December 08, 2017, 10:57:33 AM
Do you get an error message when dialing out? If so, what is it?

What SP slot did you configure Simonics on? SP1 or SP2?

What is the following field set to?

Physical Interfaces-->Phone 1-->PrimaryLine

bruceobi100

Do you get an error message when dialing out? If so, what is it?

What SP slot did you configure Simonics on? SP1 or SP2?

What is the following field set to?

Physical Interfaces-->Phone 1-->PrimaryLine                       No error message, just when the other person answers they dont hear me.   I am on SP1   and the Physical Interfaces I set to Primary line with both boxes unchecked.

VOIPsmasher

I followed the step-by-step instructions in the "OBi 100/110: illustrated, step-by-step instructions to use Simonics GVGW" stickied thread.

My SP1 status is still offline in Obitalk portal

On Simon Telephonics page it says "ACCOUNT STATUS      YOUR SIP SETTINGS
Google Voice account   Offline. Register a device or SIP URI."

What am I missing? Am I supposed to be doing something on https://simonics.com/gw/ to get this to work? Reboot? Reset?

wpbear

I signed up for Simon service.  Day one was ok, day two I am getting incoming calls from number 1234567999 every 10 mins all night lone (middle of the night). no one is on the other end and the call logs do not show up on Google voice.  Never had this problem before, EVER.  So annoying.