News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi 100/110: Any custom firmware initiatives?

Started by chabala, November 11, 2017, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chabala

Seeing that the OBi 100/110 are EOL, and the Google Voice service no longer works with the last official firmware, has anyone experimented with creating custom firmware for the device?

The Google Voice issue has been identified as a SSL/TLS certificate issue, in theory making a new firmware based on the prior version but with updated certificates wouldn't be too hard, setting aside legality issues about modifying the existing firmware.

Is there any interest in creating open source firmware for this hardware?

drgeoff

It is much more difficult than you imagine.  I gave some details of the problems that would need to be overcome in a previous post.  Even though the thrust of that post was to say the chances of success were very small and people should not consider it a viable option, Obihai deleted the post.  So I'm not going to waste my time writing it all again.

For starters, even if a way to plug in a new certificate could be found, who knows what certificate (ie the "key string") to use?

SteveInWA

Quote from: chabala on November 11, 2017, 12:00:57 PM
Seeing that the OBi 100/110 are EOL, and the Google Voice service no longer works with the last official firmware, has anyone experimented with creating custom firmware for the device?

The Google Voice issue has been identified as a SSL/TLS certificate issue, in theory making a new firmware based on the prior version but with updated certificates wouldn't be too hard, setting aside legality issues about modifying the existing firmware.

Is there any interest in creating open source firmware for this hardware?

Don't start another firmware hacking discussion.  This is Obihai's company-owned help forum.  They're not going to appreciate somebody trying to crack their products.

Aside from that, it's an absurd and pointless exercise.  Just use the Simonics GVGW or buy a nice new OBi, on sale right now.