News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

No dial tone on OBI200

Started by mgfever, November 12, 2017, 10:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgfever

Yesterday when I first started to configure this unit, I got a dial tone but it failed not register it with Callcentric.  Today I get no dialtone. I did try to reset it to factory but it still does not give me a dialtone. I am able to connect through the IP address.  Isn't there phone support for this product?

drgeoff

Is the phone plugged directly into the OBi200?  Have you at any time plugged the OBi into a house phone socket?

Have you tried another phone?

Which reset method did you try?  If not via the button underneath, try that.

mgfever

I have the unit plugged into the house circuit and the outside line disconnected just like yesterday.  I just tried plugging a wireless phone directly to the unit as well and still got no dialtone. I did the factory reset using the paper clip in the back of the unit.  The Power LED responded as described in the manual.

drgeoff

Connect your browser to the OBi's IP address and login with admin and admin.

On the left hand side click on Status, then on Phone Port Status.  Report the values you see with the phone on-hook.  Take the phone off-hook and click on Phone Port Status again.  Report the values you see. (We don't need the last caller info.

mgfever

With the phone on and off-hook the values are empty.

drgeoff

I cannot be 100% certain but I'd say your OBi200 has a hardware fault on its phone port circuitry.  Most likely cause is that your external telco line was not completely disconnected from your house phone wiring.

mgfever

It worked yesterday and after registering unsuccessfully it failed. Is there no recourse except to buy another OBI200?

drgeoff

The device is not user serviceable and expert repair (even if you can find it) costs more than a new one.  You have done a reset to factory defaults. A working OBi with default config should always give dial tone even with no network connection.  The phone port status should always show values.

Apart from the reset the only other thing you can try is a firmware reload as per the method 3 of http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.msg13#msg13 but I doubt it will help.

Exposing the phone port to stray voltages from a telco line does not always bring immediate death to the port so that it did work previously for a short time means nothing.

If you obtain another OBi200, do all your initial testing with a phone plugged directly in to it.  Being in the UK I am not familiar with the various wiring conventions that may be encountered in the US.  If you search this forum there are some posts by SteveInWA which may be helpful. Otherwise obtain the services of a local expert.

SteveInWA

Like Geoff said, if there's no voltage shown on that settings section, the device is dead; likely fried by your connecting it to the house wiring.  Time for a new one.  They're on sale now.

mgfever

OK, this is a new unit. Am I to understand that I need to buy another device?  I don't believe I did anything wrong.  I was following the steps as written in the quick step guide. I would hope there is a warranty on these units. I know when I did tech support in the building automation field, we often assumed it was operator error but we did cover our warranties.

drgeoff

Quote from: mgfever on November 15, 2017, 01:34:23 PM
OK, this is a new unit. Am I to understand that I need to buy another device?  I don't believe I did anything wrong.  I was following the steps as written in the quick step guide. I would hope there is a warranty on these units. I know when I did tech support in the building automation field, we often assumed it was operator error but we did cover our warranties.
Yes you need to buy a new one and no the warranty does not cover damage caused by letting other voltages into the phone port.

Make no changes to your house wiring and telco line. Get another OBi200 and run it for a week not connected to your house wiring. After you are satisfied that all is well, reconnect it the same way as you did the first one.  Within a week you'll know whether the first one had a manufacturing defect or whether you killed it.  :)

mgfever

Sounds like I need to find another vendor with better hardware support.

SteveInWA

So, if you run into a telephone pole while driving your Honda, should Honda give you a new car?

Just like the sign in the china shop, you break it, you own it.

mgfever

Ou are assuming I caused the failure.  I don't believe I did.

drgeoff

Quote from: mgfever on November 15, 2017, 02:18:29 PM
Ou are assuming I caused the failure.  I don't believe I did.
Well, if you are confident, do my two week test.

mgfever

Your test still puts me out $50 for a new one.