News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Caller ID on land line calls - problem and fix

Started by Tominct, February 08, 2011, 10:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tominct

I was having a problem with callerid on the land line calls not showing up on the phone. 

The support team loaded a beta fw and it did not help.

I then inspected my wiring.  Ok - this was my problem.  I had a very convoluted wiring setup - too many things converging on 1 physical wall port. l.  My phone line was going through a splitter then to a fax and then to the phone.  It had worked fine with a phone for a couple years and I honestly forgot this rats nest.  To admit this in public forum is embarrassing, - but it is what I had and it was working.

I rearranged the wiring.  I still have to run a splitter - still too many things need access, but I set it up so Obi got one of the ports on the first splitter coming out of the wall.  I also used the phone cord that came with obi110 from this splitter to Obi.  Problem solved.

My conclusion is that OBi110 requires a higher quality signal to pull callerid out of the signal than my Panasonic DECT handset required.  They do not have the same threshold.

Bottom line -if you are failing to see caller id  I suggest that you inspect your connection to the wall.  It may be that the quality of the signal at the wall port is below the threshold for obi to work, but in my case it was my wiring.

Still not thrilled that obi takes so long to do the callerid magic.  I need at least 2500ms, but it is working and that is most important to me.

MichiganTelephone

Really, the 2500 ms to decode the caller ID is quick, if you understand what's really happening.  Your phone company sends CallerID between the first and second ring.  This is because in the days when CallerID was first offered, phone circuits weren't as "clean" as they are now, so if an external CallerID device (which is what many subscribers used initially) was used, it would only "listen" for Caller ID in the first second or so after the first ring was received.  If they had left it monitoring the line constantly, it might have accidentally decoded line noise, FAX tones, dial-up modem tones, etc, and it might have displayed wrong or nonsense numbers from time to time.

The Obi can't decode CallerID any faster than the phone company sends it, so it has to wait until it receives the Caller ID data IF you want that data.  I suppose that it could directly connect the phone to the line via a relay when ringing occurs, but then you'd lose any possible call processing benefits of the OBi (such as the ability to forward calls from certain callers but not others).

The only thing I might wonder is if they could start pre-ringing the phone before the CallerID is fully decoded.  I would think that would be a programmer's nightmare, but then I'm not a programmer.  The idea would be that if the line is ringing and you are using a conventional ring cycle of two seconds on, four seconds off on the phone, and you have the delay set for 2500 ms, then in theory you could start ringing the phone one second after the line begins ringing, because you know that you only need 500 ms after the line stops ringing to receive the caller ID and maybe another 500 ms to make any decisions on call routing and prepare the caller ID to send to the phone after then end of the first ring on the phone.  But the downside would be that you'd have to take into consideration the possibility that the phone might be using an initial ring of less than two seconds, and then if it turns out that the call is being forwarded or otherwise disposed of in some manner that doesn't involve sending it to the phone, the phone would have already rang a half-ring for no reason, and a lot of people would find that highly irritating.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

Tominct

Guilty.  I do not know what is actually happening so I appreciate the education.  I am a non technical consumer.  My understanding of the phone is only 10% more sophisticated than understanding how to plug it in.  I use it but have only a vague idea what makes it tick.

My perception that obi is slow is by way of comparison.  From what you tell me it is not a fair comparison, but here it is: I hear other phones in my house ring before OBI. This makes OBI seem slow.  To me.  I dont think I can pick up my obi attached phone until it rings so for 2500ms I am on hold.  2500ms is bearable. 5500ms seemed like forever and it did not leave much buffer before voice mail picks up.   

I know this sounds negative but I am absolutely thrilled with the device.   I love it.  It provides a solution to a problem in my home.  The support guys tried to help ME.   I am getting such a strong positive vibe from my experience with both the product and the people behind it that  I would buy stock in the company if I could. In 12 months Obihai brand will be recognized by everyday people, not just wanna be nerds like myself.  They will not be able to keep it in stock.  12 months, probably sooner.

daman

Use Simon Telephonics and you will get caller ID