News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi200 w/GV - Calls sometimes go silent (esp when on long hold)

Started by Rick441, November 20, 2017, 04:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick441

I have had my Obi200 for about a month, using Google Voice. I connect the Obi200 to my router with the OBiWiFi5G Wireless USB instead of a direct ethernet connection.  The Obi200 is about 15 feet from the router, with no obstructions.

I have had a fair number of calls go to permanent silence during the call.  They don't disconnect, but neither party can hear the other.

The most typical scenario is an outgoing call where I am on a lengthy hold, hearing music and an intermittent recorded apology for the extended hold.

That just happened again a few hours ago.  I was on hold for about 40 minutes, then suddenly silence.  (During the silence I called my Obi number from my mobile just to see if I would get a call waiting tone, and I did.)  After about 20 more minutes, the call finally cut off and I got a dial tone.  (I have a screenshot of the Obi portal call record taken while it was silent, if that could be of any value in diagnosis.)

Any suggestions on possible causes, and how I might remedy this?  Thanks.

videobruce

Have you tried a wired connection?
15' away, run an Ethernet cable, wireless is prone to problems.
I'll take VoIP any day over cell phones !

Rick441

Quote from: videobruce on December 01, 2017, 11:20:32 AM
Have you tried a wired connection?
15' away, run an Ethernet cable, wireless is prone to problems.

Thanks for the suggestion,  I'm testing an ethernet connection starting today.  At least initially, I'm testing by moving the Obi and the phone to a less-convenient location adjacent to the router, and if that solves the issues I'll move everything back and their original locations and run a cable.

(Sorry for the long delay in replying; I thought I had enabled notifications, but apparently not.)

Lavarock7

I was going to ask if this was a Google Voice call because I remembered that they disconnect after a long hold. However I see reports that is 3 hours so probably not your issue.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

Rick441

Quote from: Lavarock7 on December 30, 2017, 03:43:47 AM
I was going to ask if this was a Google Voice call because I remembered that they disconnect after a long hold. However I see reports that is 3 hours so probably not your issue.

Your post reminds me that it had gotten to the point where the situation would often happen *early* in the call, too.  And sometimes result in a dial tone rather than silence.  And BTW, again this is all using Google Voice.

BTW, it also occurred to me last night that the phone can be at a distance from an ethernet-connected Obi just by running a phone wire, not a long ethernet cable.  But I'll still test for awhile with all components in the same place.

Rick441

While, thus far, I have not had any calls go to silent since switching to a direct ethernet connection, I am having a different kind of dropped calls problem:

When I call a business, moments after I am put on hold (either by a voice menu or by someone I was talking to) the call often *fully disconnects* within about 5 seconds and I get a dialtone.  This has now happened with too many different businesses to think the system/person on the other end is to blame.  I have already tried the self-help advice to switch to full-duplex for the ethernet connection to the router but that didn't help.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

videobruce

Have you ever run a TraceRoute program? Not that useless POS that M$ offers in a command prompt, but a real program?

I would suggest '3d Traceroute'. It is now defunct, BUT most of the functions are enabled, only a couple are not and they aren't important.

Take a look here;
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/3d_traceroute.html
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/take-a-graphical-look-at-the-net-with-3d-traceroute/

What you want to look for is high latency (labeled "max") & 'jitter' (labeled "var") at any of the hops, specifically the 2nd or 3rd. The top program is another, but 3d Route is far better since it included 'jitter' which is a major issue with VoIP. The concept is to let the porgtam run over a period of time. Many issues are intermittent and running a single 'ping' or TraceRoute is usually useless since it won't 'catch' the occurrence.

You don't need a long route, it's the 'hops' within your ISP that are usually the concern. if you can get the addresses for your VoIP providers servers that's even better.

I'll take VoIP any day over cell phones !

Rick441

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to try a factory reset first, and if that doesn't help (and I'm not optimistic it will), I 'll try TraceRoute.

magicwine

Hi,
Re your post: Calls sometimes go silent (esp when on long hold)

I've had the same issue, plus more:
I've had loud shushing noises that frequently start when someone places me on hold and then I must call again.

Also, when after flashing a call and returning to my first call on hold, the same noise.
Also been disconnected when placed on hold.

These issues occur on two different cordless phones using two different bases. Both bases are plugged into the same obi200 using a 5-1 adapter. I used this adapter before my issues started.

All these happened after a restoration of a power line was pulled from my house. I have tried resetting my 200 by unplugging and replugging it.

If you solved your issue, what was your solution? Did you also have the white noise issue I explained?

Thanks.
Bob

Rick441

I should have followed up...

My issue seems to have resolved since since I did a factory reset and device reinstall in January, with NO customizations re-added (except for increasing ChannelRxGain via ObiTalk Expert Configuration so I'd sound louder to people on the other end).  Never had the loud shushing noises.  Fyi, I'm still direct-wired...haven't re-tried using the Obi WiFi yet.

I have had a few other issues come up, including calls going straight to voicemail, and a sudden decline in call quality, but in each case power cycling resolved it.

magicwine

That's great to hear.

I recall I had a lot of issues in initially setting up the obi200, so I have trepidation on doing a factory reset.

All you had to do was add increasing ChannelRxGain via ObiTalk Expert Configuration and you were good to go?

Can you send me in the correct direction as to what a device reinstall entails and how to do the reset?

Thanks so much for your help.

Bob

Rick441

I used SteveInWa's reset-switch instructions from
https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11031.0

"With the power on, I gently depress the recessed reset switch with a paper clip, and hold it until the power LED starts flashing.  Works always.  There really isn't any need to start with the power off, and doing so takes three hands and is likely to make the hand being used to depress the switch slip off of the switch."

I then set up the Obi with Google Voice following the instructions at Obitalk support:
https://www.obitalk.com/info/support/

(As I post this that page's link with instructions for setup with GV is down, but there is also a video that gives the instructions.)

Maybe I was lucky, but everything went smoothly.  I didn't modify the ChannelRxGain until later (to 3; the Obitalk default is -4).  That quickly solved the issue of people saying my voice sounded too soft, but I doubt most people need that kind of fix...maybe it is phone dependent??

magicwine

Thanks, Rick, for all your kind help!

It will be a pain for me to use an ethernet cable to connect to my router. After factory reset, can I use the wifi dongle to connect in the same way?

I ask because I recall something about a direct connect to the router was required for the initial setup, but I'm not sure if this also applies when you've previously set up your online obi account and are only doing a reset of your obi device?

Thanks!

Bob

Rick441

You're welcome, Bob.

I believe I did all of my original setup using the wi-fi dongle, but I can't say I recall for sure.  I do recall using ***6 to check for any software update before proceeding to setup (it said my software was up to date). 

Any experts care to weight in with advice or cautions regarding Bob's latest questions?  Thanks.