News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Setting static IP address of the WAN

Started by videobruce, December 01, 2017, 11:10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

videobruce

Other than using the process from an attached telephone;
QuoteConfigure a static IP address;
1. Disable DHCP, dial ***3, dial 1, dial 0#, dial 1 to save.
2. To enter IP address, dial *** 4, dial 1, dial IP address & #, dial 1 to save.
IP Address 192.168.1.120 would be entered as: 192*168*1*120#
3. To enter subnet mask, dial *** 0, dial 23#
4. To enter default gateway, dial *** 0, dial 22#
5. To enter a DNS Server, dial *** 0, dial 24#

Can't a static IP address for the IP of this device be set from the WAN Settings of the Router tab? (I'm only talking about the IP address of the ATA, not using the LAN port.)
I'll take VoIP any day over cell phones !

videobruce

2nd question;

Does a power cycle reset any of the custom user settings?

drgeoff

Quote from: videobruce on December 01, 2017, 11:12:05 AM
2nd question;

Does a power cycle reset any of the custom user settings?
No.

drgeoff

Quote from: videobruce on December 01, 2017, 11:10:20 AM
Can't a static IP address for the IP of this device be set from the WAN Settings of the Router tab? (I'm only talking about the IP address of the ATA, not using the LAN port.)
Yes.

videobruce

The static address I set well over a year ago got reset somehow, not by myself.
Would/could anything that was done to a router cause this (not the OBi internal router)?

drgeoff

Quote from: videobruce on December 01, 2017, 10:34:41 PM
The static address I set well over a year ago got reset somehow, not by myself.
Would/could anything that was done to a router cause this (not the OBi internal router)?
No, if the static address was set on the OBi, nothing on your router can change that.

videobruce

Well something did. ???

I have had (and still do) issues with my ISP (Spectrum). Also, a really odd issue with my Zoom Cable Modem which I discovered and replaced (with the same model).
I realize this is a long shot considering the signal has to go thru the router, is there any remote possibility any of that might of been responsible?

I wound up resetting the Router (something I don't ever remember doing other than the initial dd-wrt F/W flashing) due to unknown reasons (at the time) for a Internet connectivity problem which turned out to be the Modem not getting 'authorized' in a timely manor when I swapped it out.

azrobert

Do you remember how you assigned the static address? A DD-WRT router can assign a static address based on MAC address. Swapping out or resetting the modem will lose the static IP assignment.

videobruce

Via the telephone interface. I wasn't aware of the ability within the Web interface until the other day.
Not in the Router nor with the MAC address.

Jackson

Is there some advantage to setting a static IP?

videobruce

Nothing strange. One device, one IP, it doesn't change.
I see that IP and I know what it is. Just like parking you car is the same specific location. You always know where it is and where  it's suppose to be.

Yep, nothing strange to me.

dlarson54

Does it matter if the 508 has a static IP or not.