News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using an outgoing proxy with voice gateways - how?

Started by neilio, August 07, 2011, 07:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neilio

Hi all -

I've been having a frustrating issue with my setup where callers stop hearing my voice partway through a call. From what I can tell this could be because my OBI100 is behind a router (Netgear WNDR3400 running DD-WRT). The version of DD-WRT I have installed has the Milkfish SIP router built in, so I'm trying that out to see if it fixes the issue.

I've got it working (I think) with SIP1 on my device (registering with Callcentric.com). I have Google Voice set up on SIP2, and VOIP.ms set up as a voice gateway. I can't find anywhere to put an outgoing proxy for the voice gateway — is that required, or does having it working on SIP1 good enough?

RonR

Voice Gateways don't support outbound proxy servers.  Most VoIP providers don't use outbound proxy servers.

neilio

Hm. Actually, it looks like I can't get Milkfish working with the Obi100.

RonR - do you have any suggestions on anything I can do to alleviate the issue I mentioned? Basically the call goes through fine, but at some point during the talk (usually 10-15 minutes in) I can still hear the other person but they can't hear me. I have to call back to get it working again.

I turned off the SPI firewall on my router just now - not sure if that'd affect things but from what I can see it might?

RonR

Forwarding SIP ports (5060 - 5061) and RTP ports (16600 - 16998) to the OBi frequently gets rid of audio issues.

OBiSupport

Does this one-way audio happen on all voice services (GV , Callcentric, VOIP.ms)?

Any chance of trying a different route or network? and see if this is related to the particular router ...

You may contact us at support@obihai.com along with your 9-digit number, we like to look into this issue.

QBZappy

neilio,

You might consider testing the OBi in the DMZ to see if there is any improvement.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

neilio

Quote from: QBZappy on August 08, 2011, 02:04:24 PM
neilio,

You might consider testing the OBi in the DMZ to see if there is any improvement.

I have the device in the DMZ and am forwarding ports 5060-5061 and 16600-16998 to its IP and I'm still having issues. :( I'm at a loss to figure out what this isn't working -- it worked fine with my previous adapter.

RonR

The best way to determine if your router is the source of problems is to temporarily eliminate it.  Connect the OBi directly to your broadband modem (power-cycle both the OBi and the modem after making the connection).

If the problem goes away with no router in the loop, the router is most likely the source.  If the problem doesn't go away, the router is not the source.

neilio

Just tried running the OBI "directly" connected to the modem and still had the sound drop out. The only thing I can think of is that I'm connecting the OBI to the mode via power line ethernet — I wonder if that could be what's causing the sound drop issue.

I've moved the OBI to be directly connected via ethernet to the router and will see if that helps.

RonR

Quote from: neilio on August 11, 2011, 07:25:14 PM
Just tried running the OBI "directly" connected to the modem and still had the sound drop out. The only thing I can think of is that I'm connecting the OBI to the mode via power line ethernet — I wonder if that could be what's causing the sound drop issue.

I've moved the OBI to be directly connected via ethernet to the router and will see if that helps.

You now know your router isn't causing the problem and you can look elsewhere.

If the Ethernet over power line adapter is working properly, it should act just like an ethernet cable.  Eliminating it as you've done is the best way to determine for sure if it's the source of the problem.

Best of luck with the detective work and please let us know how you make out.