News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Is Obi100 + Google Voice now dead for good?

Started by turnstyle, December 05, 2017, 08:55:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnstyle

Hi all, I've been chugging away with an Obi100 and Google Voice for years now.

Just stopped working, and from a quick look around here -- the Obi100 will likely never work again, is that correct? (meaning: with Google Voice)

Just wanted to make sure before I figure out what the next step is.

Or is there some trick to get the Obi100 back working with Google Voice again?

Many thanks!

FrankHaynes

That's my guess.

I have an Obi110 with both GV accounts configured, both are in "backing off" this morning, even after factory resetting and re-affiliating it with both accounts.

I had another Obi110 laying around from a relative who passed away and it is doing the same thing.

I'd say we got plenty of use out of them over the years so I can't complain. I'm sure others will, though.

Time for a 202 or whatever the 2xx series box of choice is these days.
I'm havin trouble with the Tephone Cumpny!

vtsnaab

As of this morning BOTH our Obi boxes ceased to function.
Seems most likely that this failure mode is due to actions/choices rather than happenstance, therefore it is probably time to move forward into other options to keep using GV with many Obi boxes.

No big shock with the Obi110 - but our Obi2xx also quit at the very same time.

We have Simonics Gateway set up for a Panasonic cordless SIP phone & after the initial setup it has been 100% flawless for quite a while on a different GV account.

None of this is endearing me towards Obi anymore except to use the boxes as ATAs going forward; absolutely NOT planning to buy anymore stuff from Obi when there are other alternatives that can work with GV and need not cost as much as Obi products tend to, even during their 'sales'.

I am currently seeking other good ideas for connecting what we already have with GV before pulling the trigger to move our lines over to the GVGW.

Any further helpful info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

SteveInWA

Quote from: turnstyle on December 05, 2017, 08:55:45 AM
Hi all, I've been chugging away with an Obi100 and Google Voice for years now.

Just stopped working, and from a quick look around here -- the Obi100 will likely never work again, is that correct? (meaning: with Google Voice)

Just wanted to make sure before I figure out what the next step is.

Or is there some trick to get the Obi100 back working with Google Voice again?

Many thanks!

Read:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13113.msg84139#msg84139

and

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13147.0

vtsnaab

Thanks for this helpful reply !!:
Quote from: GPz1100 on December 05, 2017, 02:58:37 PM
@vtsnaab  If you want a cheap ATA, picked up the vonage HT802 from bestbuy for ~$10.  Follow the unlocking instructions on dslr. It requires some tech expertise but isn't overly complicated. Once unlocked, it works quite well with simonics gateway too.

As it happens, I do already have a spare ATA that I got for that price for a time like this, but before making quite that radical a change I will try to keep my Obi110 in use.

An area of interest to me is mentioned repeatedly at the Nerd Vittles blog - and that is the idea of setting up a PBX in the cloud using a very low cost service like Cloud at Cost.
Just so happens I grabbed a great deal there a while back, so since I already have that I may just play around with it a bit before heading over to GVGW...
Seems to me that having 1 PBX set up there for our 3 lines on 2 Obi boxes will be a good solution as long as it is fairly reliable.

For today, all I had to do is power up my cellular that GV forwards to as a temporary solution for the (now 100% ??) dead Obi boxes that we have.
Since all 3 of those lines have notifications, if anything is mised it will be easy enough to just return the call.

Thanks Again & Happy Holidays to You and Yours !!

GPz1100

I already have a pbx in house to consolidate several of my own lines.  It's also already provisioned for the house lines.  Did that shortly after issues appeared with the obi's a few months back.  Not a fan of updating device firmware the day it's rolled out.  Eventually I did update them with the current firmware. For others, raspberry pi is a common platform for running a light duty pbx.  Costs about the same, $35-40 as an obibox.

FrankHaynes

Quote from: GPz1100 on December 05, 2017, 06:21:33 PMFor others, raspberry pi is a common platform for running a light duty pbx.  Costs about the same, $35-40 as an obibox.

My need is to connect to Google Voice since that is the phone nummer that I use heavily. I like their web interface for visualizing calls, texts, and voice mails so I'd like to keep it going as long as possible.

If there were a module for Freeswitch to connect to GV I'd just use that, but I don't know of one.

BTW, my Obi110 came back to life some time this evening so maybe there was an outage that affected all Obi systems for a time today.

vtsnaab

Good to know, even if...:
Quote from: FrankHaynes on December 05, 2017, 07:16:19 PM
BTW, my Obi110 came back to life some time this evening so maybe there was an outage that affected all Obi systems for a time today.

Ours is still gasping for air & inoperative as of ~10PM EST.
Our Obi2xx box was updated & it came back on its own, fortunately.
The Obi110 may just need extra help & I'm considering alternatives for that.

Best Wishes.

SteveInWA

Quote from: FrankHaynes on December 05, 2017, 07:16:19 PM
Quote from: GPz1100 on December 05, 2017, 06:21:33 PMFor others, raspberry pi is a common platform for running a light duty pbx.  Costs about the same, $35-40 as an obibox.

My need is to connect to Google Voice since that is the phone nummer that I use heavily. I like their web interface for visualizing calls, texts, and voice mails so I'd like to keep it going as long as possible.

If there were a module for Freeswitch to connect to GV I'd just use that, but I don't know of one.

This has been explained and discussed in endless detail already.  The OBi 1x0 product line is end-of-life, and while it might work one day and not the next, you can't fix it.  Your choices are to buy a new OBi 20x product or use Simonics GVGW.

Read:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13113.msg84139#msg84139

and

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13147.0

FrankHaynes

I knew that before you posted it.

I was simply posting my observations for the benefit of other Obi110 users reading this thread in order to compare notes.

But you have now incremented it to endless + 1 so chalk up another one! Kudos!

SteveInWA

In other news, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.  Even recently-dead bodies can still make brief motions.  Noting that a OBi 100 magically started working or stopped working is pointless.  Google Voice on OBi 1x0s is not going to come back to life for any extended period of time.

See:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH7KYmGnj40

gray2283

just setup simonics on obi110. easy
thankyou steve

mykmayk

əʞɪɯ mɪke

drgeoff

Quote from: vtsnaab on December 05, 2017, 03:07:44 PM
An area of interest to me is mentioned repeatedly at the Nerd Vittles blog - and that is the idea of setting up a PBX in the cloud using a very low cost service like Cloud at Cost.
Just so happens I grabbed a great deal there a while back, so since I already have that I may just play around with it a bit before heading over to GVGW...
Seems to me that having 1 PBX set up there for our 3 lines on 2 Obi boxes will be a good solution as long as it is fairly reliable.
I have several of the CloudatCost servers bought at times of huge discounts.  The reliability has been appalling.  Not just that they go down but they lose everything.  Fine for experiments if your time is cheap but definitely not recommended by me for your phone service.

vtsnaab

Hi Drgeoff & thanks for replying.
My curiosities regarding the cloud PBX concept remain in place - but since it is more important to have our phones working at home - that remains a ways down the priority list.

What I did instead was to swap the 200 into the 2 line position, replaced it on its single line with the poor old 110, and got that 1 line a GVGW account...
All fixed now for the whopping 5.99 & the 10 minutes that it all cost.

Even better, looked at the info there & found this:
http://support.simonics.com/support/solutions/articles/3000032742-obihai-devices-enabling-proxy-server-redundancy

So now old mr. 110 is working fine on GV & should be good to go for a while longer.

Thanks & Best Wishes to You & Yours.

iamnoone

+1. Followed the instructions from http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13147.msg84459#msg84459 and worked like a charm. Now i just need to hope this can continue working until Obi200 goes on sale next time.

Quote from: gray2283 on December 06, 2017, 12:28:58 PM
just setup simonics on obi110. easy
thankyou steve

azrobert

synchron

Obi100 fix works like a charm.   Let's hope it lasts

FrankHaynes

It's a special kind of miser that pays $30 to $50 one time for an Obi100, gets free domestic calls for years, yet still refuses to spring for an updated Obi200 because IT COSTS TOO MUCH!!!111!!11

vtsnaab

Tossing nasty pejoratives at long-time users is a very poor way to make friends on any forum.
(It is more likely to get such a hyper-critical user ignored when help may be needed.)
((This portion of that nastygram IS amusing however: "!!!111!!11"))

Actually worthy of note & more pertinent to the topic here is the message seen today in response to an attempt to sign up for GVGW:
QuoteSorry, we are temporarily not taking new users for the Google Voice Gateway

Hopefully whatever is behind this problem will be resolved soon so that folks can get their otherwise perfectly good OLD boxes back in fully functioning conditions with GV.