News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Going Standalone After ObiTalk??

Started by brooklyn200, December 06, 2017, 10:18:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brooklyn200

Once you've configured a 200/202 via ObiTalk, is there anyway to return to standalone mode without losing your GoogleTalk settings?  I can't seem to get any control back over the box as long as ObiTalk has it in my profile.  The settings are completely locked, even my other SIP accounts -- all mods disappear on reboot.  And, any attempt at deleting the device from the website wipes all my settings.  Disabling ObiTalk voice service on the box does nothing -- it reenables itself on reboot.

I'm used to configuring my own Obihai boxes, don't feel like I need ObiTalk for anything, and would like to cut one more potential failure point out of the chain, both for reliability, and for data security reasons.  I don't like having my SIP credentials "out there," shared with a third party.

Thanks.

drgeoff

You need to disable Provisioning, not the Obitalk service.  Do it using the ATA's onboard web GUI.

brooklyn200

Thanks!  Had just figured that out and was typing this when your reply posted:

Okay.  Sorry about that.  Just answered my own question.

Turn off Autoprovisioning and you can delete the device from ObiTalk without that changing anything on the device.  I also turned off ObiTalk voice service because I don't use it for anything.

I'll leave this up in case anyone else had the same question.

By the way, the reason I was poking around on ObiTalk again after a year or two of everything working just fine is that my GoogleVoice account spontaneously lost its registration sometime in the last couple days.  Only way to get it back was by ObiTalk, but that blew out my other SIP accounts until I added them back via ObiTalk.

Any idea why the GoogleVoice registration would have failed?  I should have jotted down the exact error message, but it was something about not being able to establish a connection to  125.201.85.209.  I tried a tracerte on that address and it indicated a .JP domain but died before it got there, after 24 hops.

GPz1100

It's not a .jp domain.  Just sloppy programming in the obi.  Flip the octets around.

125.201.85.209 becomes 209.85.201.125 which comes back to a google domain.

brooklyn200

Aha!  Well, that's one mystery solved.  What about the fact my registration was gone and no amount of reboots would fix it?  Any idea what might have changed?  Is there some sort of timeout function on Google Voice if you're not attached to ObiTalk?

drgeoff

Quote from: brooklyn200 on December 06, 2017, 12:07:22 PMWhat about the fact my registration was gone and no amount of reboots would fix it?  Any idea what might have changed?  Is there some sort of timeout function on Google Voice if you're not attached to ObiTalk?
There is no such timeout.

There has been a change at GV which requires you to have the latest firmware.  Is there a yellow triangle showing on your Dashboard?  if yes, click on it to initiate the update.

brooklyn200

Very interesting.  Looks like in the brief time I was attached to ObiTalk, it must have pushed the update, because I didn't do anything and checking system status just now, it looks like I have the latest firmware installed, 3.2.1. (Build: 5757EX).

Meanwhile, I also have a 202, which isn't having any problems (yet?) and it's running version 3.1.0 (Build: 5069).

Oh, well.  I downloaded the update and I'll keep it handy if the 202 goes funny.

drgeoff

Quote from: brooklyn200 on December 06, 2017, 02:17:11 PM
Meanwhile, I also have a 202, which isn't having any problems (yet?) and it's running version 3.1.0 (Build: 5069).
Isn't there a yellow triangle against it on your Dashboard?

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on December 06, 2017, 02:21:07 PM
Quote from: brooklyn200 on December 06, 2017, 02:17:11 PM
Isn't there a yellow triangle against it on your Dashboard?

My guess is that this device hasn't been updated in a long time, because all remote provisioning has been disabled.  This is one of the risks of doing that.

brooklyn200

There wasn't a triangle, because it wasn't on ObiTalk.  As soon as I had gotten GV authorized, I had shut off autoprovisioning and deleted the device.  (Unfortunately, I had completely forgotten the steps when it came time to do the same with my 200.  I guess that's what happens when you only have to do something once every couple of years)

Funny enough, last night, the 202 lost its GV authorization, too.  AND, the ObiTalk website was down.  Luckily, I had saved the latest FW download so it was a snap to update and I was back in business