News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi 100/110 GV Update request

Started by ChrisJ, December 08, 2017, 08:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cqlq

my obi 100 is working today. just FYI.

drgeoff

Don't forget to come back and tell us when it stops.  :)

BigLan

Strangely, my obi100 started working again some time today. It was giving the "backing off" error last week but rang tonight and I could place calls. I've got a replacement 200 on it's way from newegg, curious to see how long the 100 stays functional.

SteveInWA

I would not expect it to continue working on the 100/110 series forever.  Picture the infamous bathtub scene at the end of the movie Fatal Attraction.  https://youtu.be/hd521kE7f0A

Buying a new 200 is the way to go.

SteveInWA

Here is what is going on:

There are a very large number of Google XMPP servers, spread around multiple data centers across the US.  The certificates are still being updated.  I expect that this death-march will continue for quite some time.

Again:  no conspiracy, no lies, no deceptive tactics or tricks to get people to upgrade.  It's just a really big deal to roll out server changes that could impact millions of users if something went wrong.

utsc

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 19, 2017, 05:53:05 PM
I would not expect it to continue working on the 100/110 series forever.  Picture the infamous bathtub scene at the end of the movie Fatal Attraction.  https://youtu.be/hd521kE7f0A

SteaveInWA, what your predictions for the future? What is your "Engineer" friend at Google says? Any updates?

Also since the OBi 200 was released approximately 5 years ago, do you think 2018 would be a reasonable time for Obi to declared it EOL ?

Mango

There is now patched firmware available for the OBi1xx series that works with the new XMPP servers.  I expect to use my 110 for the foreseeable future.

SteveInWA

Quote from: utsc on January 01, 2018, 10:19:12 AM
Quote from: SteveInWA on December 19, 2017, 05:53:05 PM

SteaveInWA, what your predictions for the future? What is your "Engineer" friend at Google says? Any updates?

Also since the OBi 200 was released approximately 5 years ago, do you think 2018 would be a reasonable time for Obi to declared it EOL ?

Google Voice isn't going anywhere. 

No, you cannot make any assumptions about product lifespan based on age.  It's just one factor.  Other considerations include the continuing availability of parts and the continued cost of support for the hardware platform.  The OBi 100/110 products were the only ones left, based on an old architecture and old components.  All of the current OBi products use the same basic design, using similar ARM SOCs and other circuitry, and it is very unlikely that they will stop being supported until that changes.