News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Come Back to OBI + Google Voice from OBI + VestaLink?

Started by DavidW, December 10, 2017, 04:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Hello. I have an OBI 110 that I bought long ago for use with GV. It was great. But then OBI said no more GV and I moved the OBI and my GV number to VestaLink. At first VestaLink was OK. But over the years it has gotten worse. So I am looking for an alternative and still use my OBI 110. I have no desire to get a newer OBI and no desire to pay more money to OBI just to get "support" or ask a question.

In reading here, it seems that despite what OBI told me, OBI devices can still work with GV. I am not clear if this applies only to newer devices or if my OBI 110 can do this. I have found the 1.3.0 (Build: 2886) firmware and updated the OBI. I checked and my VestaLink still works after the update. So at least nothing broken.

Since I moved my original GV number to VestaLink, I am not sure if or how I can move it back. Maybe I should get another GV number? But I am not quite sure how to do that. But if I do, I am not sure how I can configure the OBI 110 to connect with GV. I can get at the OBI's built-in website. I can sign into ObiTalk. But it seems like doing anything there is not possible. When I click on the OBI 110 entry, I see in RED "The OBi100 and OBi110 has reached it's end of life (EOL) status and are no longer supported. Please upgrade to a more recent OBi device to receive support."

So if I am to do anything with GV, I need to know how I might achieve it. It was easy to do originally via ObiTalk. But without I am not sure is even possible. Maybe someone here can comment?

If GV isn't an option, maybe someone can suggest an alternative to VestaLink. I appreciate your time and help.

SteveInWA

Have you not read anything posted on this forum in the past month?

See:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13113.msg84139#msg84139

and

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13147.0

As for Vestalink, you can't port your number directly to Google Voice.  Instead, you'd need to first port it to a mobile carrier, wait a week, then port it to Google Voice.

See:  http://www.obihai.com/porttutorial

For best results porting in from a land line carrier, use either AT&T Prepaid or T-Mobile Prepaid.  Do not use one of the low-tier MVNO resellers such as Lycamobile, MintSIM, H20, etc.

FastTalkingJoe

Why can you still buy the obi110 on amazon when it's no longer supported?

SteveInWA

Quote from: FastTalkingJoe on December 13, 2017, 01:55:12 PM
Why can you still buy the obi110 on amazon when it's no longer supported?

Sigh.  This has already been explained on this forum.  Amazon lumps all sellers of a given product together in one listing.  The sellers do not have control over this.  Obihai is no longer selling the 100 or 110 products.  The listing you see now, is from third-party sellers who are selling old stock.  Obihai has no way to prevent others from doing that.

dudly

DavidW,

You may not be able to port your number away from Vestalink at all.  A good friend has been trying every conceivable method to do just that.  Vestalink will not answer any form of communication, and the phone company she is working with has had absolutely no luck in porting it to themselves.  They have given up, and moved onto another service and unfortunately a new phone number.

Kage

Might as well stay with VestaLink or find some other third party to use since obi110 won't work with GV anymore, I just found that out today.

Too bad since there's nothing wrong with the box, they just stopped firmware updates. I'd be willing to pay $10.00 for continued support since I consider the voice codec superior to the obi200, which I also have but that has a weird distortion crackling sound from incoming that the obi100 does not. Could be a defective box but I can't afford to keep buying new ones every year.