News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Why can't I forward an incoming call to a number that doesn't 'supe'?

Started by david2, December 13, 2017, 05:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david2

I'm not sure if this a Google Voice issue or a limitation with the OBi202 itself.

I've been experimenting with the Call Forward (No Answer) feature.

My configuration is as follows:

CallForwardOnNoAnswerEnable: <checked>
CallForwardOnNoAnswerNumber: SP4(1NXXXXXXXX)
CallForwardOnNoAnswerRingCount: 1

CallForwardOnNoAnswerNumber is set to forward to a telephone number that is disconnected (telco msg). I've noticed that if I set the CallForwardOnNoAnswerNumber to this disconnected number, or any other number that doesn't supervise (a reorder, a number that is always busy, etc.), the incoming call on the OBi202 won't get bridged with this forwarding number - even though the forwarding number "answers". Is there any way to get around this?

david2

I have a few reasons. I have one number that gets a ton of robo calls. I mainly use this number as an outgoing line. I would like to dump all incoming calls to either a disconnected number or an always busy number, but I can't get either of those to work because these types of numbers don't supervise.

On a traditional landline network, this can be forced by dialing the forwarding code twice.

SteveInWA

Is the problematic number (that is getting the robocalls) an inbound Google Voice number?  If so, just go to the old, "Legacy" Google Voice website settings page, and remove the check mark to the left of Google Chat.  Voila, no more inbound calls.

david2

Tried that. Snag: calls still go to Google's voicemail. I don't want that either. I want the incoming calls to reach a dead-end. I don't want my GV inbox filling up with voicemails and/or missed calls.

SteveInWA

Sorry, you can't do that with Google Voice.  It is a call forwarding system that specifically avoids connecting calls to dead ends, and its voicemail can't be disabled.

You can port your Google Voice number out to a SIP VoIP service provider, and then you'll have all sorts of options to manage robocalls.  For that matter, using Callcentric, you can simply subscribe to outbound calling, and send all inbound calls to the SIT tone error message.

Porting instructions:  https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667#xferout

GPz1100

David,

I too have a number that I ported over to gv that ages old (almost 2 decades), gets lots of spam, and the occasional legit caller.  The number is configured on my pbx with a lengthy, ridiculous 90 second announcement before it goes to voice mail.  It's been working wonders for telemarketers/robo calls.  For the legit callers, they can either leave a message, or send a text.

Basically, once gv hands off the call to the pbx, gv is entirely out of the picture.

Taoman

Quote from: david2 on December 13, 2017, 05:49:49 PM
Tried that. Snag: calls still go to Google's voicemail. I don't want that either. I want the incoming calls to reach a dead-end. I don't want my GV inbox filling up with voicemails and/or missed calls.
Get yourself a free Callcentric DID.
Link the Callcentric DID in your GV account and then uncheck Google Chat
Configure your Callcentric account on your OBi device
Create a Callcentric IVR. The only thing you configure in the IVR is Last Route to "Busy tone/Line disconnect"
Create a CC call treatment that sends all calls to that IVR

All callers will hear 3 or 4 busy tones and the line will disconnect. Because the IVR actually answers the call, GV voicemail will never be activated.