News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Nothing audible with outgoing calls - Obi100 with Simonics GVGW

Started by precht, December 11, 2017, 06:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

precht

Everything was by and large working well since switching over to the GVGW a few days ago, after preventing the SIP scanners.

Unfortunately, noticed starting this afternoon that neither of my Obi100 devices are able to make outgoing calls -- the destination number answers, but there's no audio on either end. Some incoming calls also just ringing, but similarly, when I answer, nothing's audible on either end.

I've tried reverting all the default/factory settings and rebooting, including reverting under the Expert configuration menu, re-added GVGW and it shows as registered under SP1. All using SteveInWA's helpful GVGW settings, including port 5060, from https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13147.0

Also played around at the Simonics GVGW portal page, setting Google Voice to "Offline" and back "Online", but no improvement. Google Voice seems fine, as I can make calls using the Hangouts app and via the desktop Hangouts site.

Very peculiar behavior, and would appreciate any tips.

billsimon

One-way or no-audio symptoms like this are usually due to NAT problems or SIP ALG interfering. Check that you don't have a SIP ALG or SIP Helper turned on on your router.

precht

Quote from: billsimon on December 11, 2017, 06:41:45 PM
One-way or no-audio symptoms like this are usually due to NAT problems or SIP ALG interfering. Check that you don't have a SIP ALG or SIP Helper turned on on your router.
Thanks for the prompt response. I Google'd and notice my Netgear router does have a "Disable SIP ALG" option (https://kb.netgear.com/30796/How-to-disable-SIP-ALG-on-your-NETGEAR-device-using-the-genie-interface), so I enabled that setting and rebooted the router, but no improvement, alas.

Everything was working well for a few days, and I hadn't changed any of my router (or Obitalk) settings, so it's a bit befuddling.

For reference, I'm attaching screenshots of my System Status, ITSP SIP A and SP1 options from my Expert configuration settings.

precht

Playing around with several phones and teased things out a bit -- this inability to call (and sometimes receive) appears to only affect my GV numbers on the Obi. I've tried incoming and outgoing calls with numbers on Verizon and AT&T and they were fine with my Obi/GV. It seems to only affect calls between GV numbers involving the Obi, oddly.

On a family member's line, GV is forwarded to the device and wouldn't work for any incoming/outgoing calls from either of our Obi devices -- but if we bypassed the GV number to her direct number, both incoming and outgoing calls were fine from my Obi/GV.

So to summarize...
Not working:
-GV (Hangouts) to GV (Obi/GVGW)
-GV (Obi/GVGW) to GV (Hangouts)
-GV (Obi/GVGW) to GV (Obi/GVGW)

Working:
-Non-GV to GV (Obi/GVGW)
-GV (Obi/GVGW) to non-GV
-GV (Hangouts) to GV (Hangouts) -- separate devices calling with Hangouts, e.g. mobile and desktop

SteveInWA

I can't tell from your posts which OBi devices you are using with GVGW vs. Google Voice directly.  However, you should understand that this is an "all or nothing" scenario:  you must either only use GVGW or only use the native Google Voice support in current OBi products, not a combination of both.

precht

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 11, 2017, 09:09:28 PM
I can't tell from your posts which OBi devices you are using with GVGW vs. Google Voice directly.  However, you should understand that this is an "all or nothing" scenario:  you must either only use GVGW or only use the native Google Voice support in current OBi products, not a combination of both.
Thanks, right, I comprehend this. GV stopped working for both my Obi100's directly, so I'm using GVGW for both devices.

In my schematic above, I'm referring to "GV" as in a Google Voice number with the Simonics GVGW on my Obi100. I'll revise it to be more clear.

If any folks have any ideas for what may the culprit, would much appreciate some input

SteveInWA

It seems like you are mixing together two different and unrelated issues, which is making it impossible to understand what is broken and what is simply working as designed.

First issue:  an inbound telephone call from some unrelated phone number (for purposes of this test, NOT your own Google Voice number nor some other Google Voice number) to Google Voice number one should ring the OBi SPx that is configured to use THAT Google account.  If it doesn't, then you have a GVGW and/or OBi configuration error.

Separate issue:  call your own Google Voice number from the phone and SPx that is configured to use THAT Google account.  One of two things will happen:  you will either be sent directly to your Google Voice voicemail box, or whatever other phone(s) you might have assigned as linked/forwarding numbers will ring.

Please just deal with one OBi and one Google Voice account at a time, and don't confuse things by trying to call one OBi from the other.

precht

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 11, 2017, 09:42:13 PM
It seems like you are mixing together two different and unrelated issues, which is making it impossible to understand what is broken and what is simply working as designed.

First issue:  an inbound telephone call from some unrelated phone number (for purposes of this test, NOT your own Google Voice number nor some other Google Voice number) to Google Voice number one should ring the OBi SPx that is configured to use THAT Google account.  If it doesn't, then you have a GVGW and/or OBi configuration error.

Thanks. Yes, the Obi/GVGW phone has no issues ringing or answering from unrelated phone numbers that are non-Google Voice (like Verizon or AT&T phone numbers). And we can both hear each other on either end of the calls.

However, when I try to call an unrelated phone number that's using Google Voice, there's nothing audible on either end. The calls always ring, we just can't hear each other. Essentially, using my Obi/GVGW, I've tried calling several family and friends who hear it ring and pick up. Those with non-GV service  (e.g. AT&T) have no problem hearing me and I can hear them. Conversely, those who are using GV -- either with GV forwarding or using Hangouts to pick up -- they cannot hear anything audibly, nor can I hear them. The calls always ring, we just can't hear each other.

QuoteSeparate issue:  call your own Google Voice number from the phone and SPx that is configured to use THAT Google account.  One of two things will happen:  you will either be sent directly to your Google Voice voicemail box, or whatever other phone(s) you might have assigned as linked/forwarding numbers will ring.

Right, so there's no issue here. I get sent to my GV voicemail when dialing my GV number from the Obi/GVGW phone.

---
Ultimately, it appears to be some unfortunate interaction between GV numbers and my Obi/GVGW. I've not changed any router, Obitalk, or Google Voice settings in the intervening days when everything was working well

SteveInWA

Link a real, 10-digit forwarding phone number to the suspect Google Voice account, via the Google Voice settings page -- preferably a mobile phone number on an Android or iPhone.  Set up the Google Voice mobile app on that phone.  Call some other Google Voice number from your mobile phone, using Google Voice. 

Using Google Hangouts on a desktop or laptop computer, on this web page:  https://hangouts.google.com/, call the other Google Voice number.

If the two parties can hear each other in both cases, then this is not a Google Voice bug.

precht

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 11, 2017, 10:50:27 PM
Link a real, 10-digit forwarding phone number to the suspect Google Voice account, via the Google Voice settings page -- preferably a mobile phone number on an Android or iPhone.  Set up the Google Voice mobile app on that phone.  Call some other Google Voice number from your mobile phone, using Google Voice. 

Using Google Hangouts on a desktop or laptop computer, on this web page:  https://hangouts.google.com/, call the other Google Voice number.

If the two parties can hear each other in both cases, then this is not a Google Voice bug.
Thanks, I did exactly these tests when I was teasing things a few hours, calling between GV numbers and had no issues. I went ahead and just repeated them several times and it's still fine. Using that same GV account (the one used on my Obi/GVGW devices) to call another GV account, Hangout works fine, between an Android and desktop.

It's only my when using Obi/GVGW to call other GV numbers (forwarded or Hangouts), and vice versa, that runs into these ails.

To reiterate:

Working:
-Non-GV (e.g. AT&T/Verizon) to Obi/GVGW
-Obi/GVGW to non-GV
-GV number (Hangouts) to GV number (Hangouts)

Not working:
-GV number (Hangouts) to Obi/GVGW
-Obi/GVGW to GV number (Hangouts)

precht

Unfortunately, am still encountering the same issues with my Obi/GVGW calling GV numbers  :(

One additional bit of troubleshooting. As I noticed both my Obi's (attached to the same home router) are afflicted with the same issue, I wondered whether it was related to my IP address. That is, whether Google Voice or something else external has blocked/banned my IP. I unplugged my Comcast modem and router for a bit to force a new DHCP IP.

Unfortunately, with the new IP address, same ails. Using both of my Obi's, still unable to hear anything on outgoing calls from the Obi to GV numbers. Rings fine, but nothing audible

Crow550

Ditto on an Obi200 without Simonics. Also with two G-Voice numbers. Both same issue.

Taoman

Ditto for me also.

When trying to call from one OBi200 using Simonics to a separate OBi200 configured with Google Voice (using XMPP) I am getting a 480 SIP error: "The number you dialed was rejected by the service provider."

Hopefully Bill will have some insight on this as it seems pervasive.

GPz1100

^^Have you tried the same sip credentials using a softphone (android, windows, etc..)?  Similar results?

I only have the gateway configured in a softphone (zoiper windows), and have not experienced any issues calling other gv numbers.

billsimon

If it's affecting the Obi200 without GVGW then it's probably something going wrong at the GV side. Maybe not for all numbers.

I just tried a GVGW # to GVGW # call (which does go out to GV/PSTN and back, doesn't stay SIP) and made a successful connection.

Taoman

Quote from: GPz1100 on December 12, 2017, 02:09:23 PM
^^Have you tried the same sip credentials using a softphone (android, windows, etc..)?  Similar results?

I only have the gateway configured in a softphone (zoiper windows), and have not experienced any issues calling other gv numbers.

Good idea. Just tested using a softphone registered to Simonics and I could call the other Google Voice number without issue.

So what the hell?? Why would the call be rejected when using an OBi device?

GPz1100

For sh... and giggles, try changing the user agent in the obi to "Z 3.15.40006 rv2.8.20"  (UA string from zoiper as it appears in call centric's connected extensions list).

I believe the proper place to change this is X_UserAgentName under Service providers/ITSP profile {x}/SIP .

billsimon

To be clear, GVGW is not discriminating in any way based on UA.

Taoman

Quote from: GPz1100 on December 12, 2017, 02:27:01 PM
For sh... and giggles, try changing the user agent in the obi to "Z 3.15.40006 rv2.8.20"  (UA string from zoiper as it appears in call centric's connected extensions list).

I believe the proper place to change this is X_UserAgentName under Service providers/ITSP profile {x}/SIP .

Gave it a shot but no joy. Same error message.