News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Calling other Google Voice users results in no audio.

Started by Crow550, December 11, 2017, 10:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow550

When using an Obi200 (with latest Firmware). Calling out to other Google Voice numbers results in no audio. Even when dialing own number to check voicemail.

Other Google Voice users calling in is no issue. Just calling out and just calling out to other Google Voice users.

Very weird issue. Works fine on Cell Phone & on Hangouts.

precht

Quote from: Crow550 on December 11, 2017, 10:56:56 PM
When using an Obi200 (with latest Firmware). Calling out to other Google Voice numbers results in no audio. Even when dialing own number to check voicemail.

Other Google Voice users calling in is no issue. Just calling out and just calling out to other Google Voice users.

Very weird issue. Works fine on Cell Phone & on Hangouts.
I'm, unfortunately, experiencing very similar issues with both my Obi100 devices calling other GV numbers:

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13310.0

If we have the same issue, due to some interaction with GV and the Obi, hopefully that'll tease out the culprit... Although, of note, I've been able to dial my own number to check voicemail.

Crow550

Issue still persists.

Tried unlinking, factory resetting.... Same issue.

Similar to Precht's issue just on the Obi200 without Simonics.

taliesien

same problem here with a new 200 to replace my old 100 because of the "backing off" issue.  no audio calling other GV obihai users or checking my own voicemail...just dead air.  any update on this?  sucks that I've been without a house phone since last week only to get the new device today and still not have it working correctly.

Crow550

I was just going to say to chime in at Precht's thread as Steve is collecting users with similar issues. More users who report this the quicker it will get fixed.

taliesien

Quote from: Crow550 on December 12, 2017, 06:07:51 PM
I was just going to say to chime in at Precht's thread as Steve is collecting users with similar issues. More users who report this the quicker it will get fixed.

I already did for that reason.  I'll give it a day or two but if it's not working by then the device is useless to me.  Luckily it's brand new and I can still return it for a full refund. 

Crow550

Give it a week. Hopefully it gets fixed. It seems more users are chiming in.

taliesien

A week seems absurd to me.  My obi100 was rock solid for six years.  Brand new 200 and I can't call any of my family or friends at home (because I foolishly converted them all to GV/obihai devices over the last few years) now?  

To recap:

new OBi200 delivered yesterday, SP1 = Google Voice, no other SIP providers  Status = Connected

Dialing my own # to access VM results in one ring and then dead air

Dialing my mother (who has same setup as me since 2016) results in five or six rings and then dead air on my end but she picks up on second ring and is talking to me but I hear nothing and she hears nothing.

My mother dialing me results in five or six rings on her end then dead air and I pick up on the second ring, neither of us have any audio. Call history shows calls are connecting even though we can't hear anything:

Call 1   12/13/2017    11:53:26   
11:53:26   From GT1(xxxxxxxxx)   To PH1
11:53:26      Ringing
11:53:35      Call Connected
11:53:50   Call Ended   

Incoming from cell phones working fine, outgoing to cell phones working fine.  Incoming from POTS working fine, outgoing to POTS working fine.  Problem seems to be GV to GV on OBi.

TedR

Yes, google voice has been erratic this week for me too, either through Obi (100 & 202) and Hangouts.

taliesien

Quote from: TedR on December 13, 2017, 02:29:20 PM
Yes, google voice has been erratic this week for me too, either through Obi (100 & 202) and Hangouts.

There is nothing erratic about the problem I reported.  It consistently doesn't work.

SteveInWA

Quote from: taliesien on December 13, 2017, 04:41:52 PM

There is nothing erratic about the problem I reported.  It consistently doesn't work.

What do you mean about Hangouts?  Do you mean that calls from one GV number to another GV number, placed by you over Hangouts, not an OBi device, fail to carry audio?

SteveInWA

If you have hard, repeatable failure examples, then start a new post over on the Google Voice help forum (see my signature line below).

The end-of-year change freeze is on now, so no code changes/fixes will be made unless something critical breaks for all users.  However, we can at least document it for later.

What's needed:

• You must post from the same Google/Gmail account that holds the GV number you are using.
  • You must post the last 4 digits of your Google Voice inbound number, and give Google your permission to look at your call data.
  • Post several fresh examples of failed calls, including the date, time, timezone and last 4 digits of the number you called that had no audio.
  • It would also be helpful to know if you are using a consumer Gmail account, or a G-Suite account.

taliesien

I have repeatable failures from two different OBi20x devices and two GV accounts. Just a cursory glance at the forum link in your sig shows plenty of other users have reported this behavior and should have already triggered an investigation.  I upvoted and replied to at least 5 other users' posts reporting similar behavior. 

SteveInWA

Are you the same person who spammed the Google Voice forum with me-toos on other posts?  That's useless and just annoys the other users who are getting CC'd by your posts.

There are only two or three posts about this exact issue on the Google Voice forum, and none have any details that would identify the failed calls.  We already looked at one today, and the user wasn't even posting from the right Google account, so there was nothing at all to examine for troubleshooting.

If you want to help, then post the details I listed in my post above, in your own, dedicated discussion over there.

taliesien

LOL, I think most of those users whose posts have languished without response would be pleased  to have someone else reply that they are also experiencing the problems described.   Definitely not useless if it gets the attention of someone who might actually know what they're doing looking into an issue multiple people are reporting in their isolated little bubbles, which are easily ignored as isolated topics.  As a software engineer myself for over 30 years I can easily see patterns in user reported issues even in their non-technical language that doesn't portray them as the "exact issue". 

SteveInWA

Instead of posting that useless comment, you could actually have posted the data I asked.  What you don't realize, is that I am in direct discussion with a Google Voice employee about this issue, and I've posted exactly what we've examined and learned so far.  It is SOP to collect data to troubleshoot problems.  Without actual failure data, which is identified as being on a specific Google account, that the engineers at Google can look at, there is nothing useful to identify the failures.

There are specific US FCC regulations regarding the privacy of Customer Protected Network Information, and neither I nor Google can simply troll through millions of customer's records to magically find the problem.

LTN1

Quote from: taliesien on December 13, 2017, 06:03:29 PM
LOL, I think most of those users whose posts have languished without response would be pleased  to have someone else reply that they are also experiencing the problems described.   Definitely not useless if it gets the attention of someone who might actually know what they're doing looking into an issue multiple people are reporting in their isolated little bubbles, which are easily ignored as isolated topics.  As a software engineer myself for over 30 years I can easily see patterns in user reported issues even in their non-technical language that doesn't portray them as the "exact issue".  

You still LOLing like a newbie that doesn't know how Google works--even after Steve's reply?

When you see someone who has contributed as much as Steve has, you might want to answer his questions so he can help you.

Or continue your LOL and look like a newbie fool.

TedR

My GV number A (Obi202) made an outbound call to a different GV number B. B picked up using Hangouts on Samsung S8+, and the call was immediately dropped. Hangouts reported: 'Call ended'.

Other situation was from GV number A (Obi202), made an outbound call to GV number C. C picked up using Obi100, but no audio. A kept ringing.

But I tested these again just now (around 10 pm EST) and both cases worked again.

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 13, 2017, 04:43:14 PM
Quote from: taliesien on December 13, 2017, 04:41:52 PM

What do you mean about Hangouts?  Do you mean that calls from one GV number to another GV number, placed by you over Hangouts, not an OBi device, fail to carry audio?

SteveInWA

Thanks!  If it continues, please start a discussion over on the Google Voice forum with details of the failed calls.