News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

No dial tone OBI202

Started by dcuste, December 13, 2017, 10:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcuste

Everything was working great.

I was reading this tread. ...  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13113.msg84139#msg84139
and checked that my device already updated itself. Great. but then I read in that same tread.....  "I recommend using the Google DNS because a) its very fast, and b) it won't annoyingly re-direct you to some domain selling website or search engine.

Note that the two DNS servers are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4"

So I logged onto my OBI202 as an admin and changed DNSServer1 from 209.18.47.62 to 8.8.8.8 and DNSServer2 from 209.18.47.61 to 8.8.4.4

I then hit the reboot on the upper right hand corner of the page and then refreshed. Everything looked good but now I have no dial tone on either SP1 or SP2. I disconnected the power to my modem, router and OBI202, waited 15 seconds plugged everything back in. Still no dial tone to either phone.

I changed the DNSServers back to what they were originally and rebooted from the web page. NO dial tone. Unplugged everything, waited, plugged everything back in. Still no dial tone. Anybody have any ideas what I can should do next?

GPz1100

What does the status page in the obi indicate?

dcuste

System status all look good. DNS are the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Otherwise it all back how it was.

GPz1100

What about Phone port status?  Compare both on and off hook.

dcuste

Phone port status is completely blank except last call information has a phone number following a " and a space. Under the tone profile page for dial tone it lists 350-18,440-18;20. If that make any difference.

drgeoff

An Obi should give dial tone even without a network connection.  It should also give something like the attached voltages with the phones unplugged, irrespective of the state of the SPs.

If a full reset doesn't bring those numbers and dial tone back, your OBi202 has a hardware failure. https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/Troubleshooting-sec/How-to-Factory-Reset

dcuste

OK. I already backed up and have a xml file backup9C..... and a second file backupaa.dat. After I do the factory reset, will I be able to use those backup files to restore all my settings or should I go through and write them all down?

dcuste

I did the factory reset and still have no dial tone and no entries in the port status. Does this mean my OBI is toast? How is that possible? It was working great until I changed the DNS and rebooted.

GPz1100

You should be getting something... Even with nothing plugged in, phone port status should be indicating a voltage.  Are you getting no dial tone on both ports or both ports indicate 0 voltage?

If so, I find it odd that both ports would die at the same time.  Maybe a power supply issue.  Looks like it takes a standard 12V supply (anything with an amp or higher capacity should be plenty).

I'd try reflashing the firmware.  If still no go, time to do a warranty claim if still under warranty.

dcuste

I'm getting nothing. The power supply is the original and seems to be giving it plenty of power by all indications. I did the factory reset again. I tried to reflash the firmware but got the message that the firmware files were the same, so nothing was modified. I did a configuration reset. Still no dial tone and no entries in the phone port status.

It was working great until I changed the DNS Servers and then rebooted it. I also find this very odd that both ports would die right after I made some simple setting changes.

I do notice that when it is rebooting, the phone LED lights both flash green four times and then go out.

It is no longer under warranty. I purchased it in April of 2013. I wrote the OBi support guys and they won't tell me anything without paying them $10. I'd pay, if they at least would tell me that there was some hope at reviving it.

drgeoff

I think the $10 would be money down the drain.

The two phone ports share some common parts eg the dc-dc converter that generates the 50 volts so if one of those parts dies it will take out both phone ports.

There is nothing unusual about the PHONE LEDs blinking a few times after a reboot.

With a phone plugged in what happens if its number is rung from elsewhere eg your cellphone.  Does the OBi's LED flash, does the phone ring?

Sad to say but it all points to you needing a replacement OBi.

dcuste

I called from a cell phone and the phone LEDs didn't flash and the OBI phone didn't ring.

I suspect your analysis of the dc-dc converter or some other component failure that supplies the phone voltage is correct. If this had happened at a time other than when I was changing settings, I would have just accepted that it died naturally. The fact that it happened while I was messing around had me convinced it was something I did to the settings that cause the failure. Is that even possible?

I have order a new one from newegg using the promotion code sent out by OBIHAI and now realize it is on back order. I really don't want to go that long without a phone. Anybody got any ideas on how I can get one sooner without shelling out the $100 that amazon wants?   

ProfTech

Well, if you really need 2 phone ports, probably not. If you can get by with a single port for a while until the 202 comes, NewEgg has the 200 on sale for $32.99. I like to have a spare on hand anyway.

dcuste

That is an excellent idea. Does the 200 works with Google voice? The only difference is that it doesn't have a line 2? I guess I could even order two of the 200s and run each of my phone lines on separate OBI200 devices, without any issues and the performance would be the same as a single 202, correct?

Taoman

Quote from: dcuste on December 15, 2017, 07:57:08 AM
I guess I could even order two of the 200s and run each of my phone lines on separate OBI200 devices, without any issues and the performance would be the same as a single 202, correct?

Yes. That is what I do.