News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

two Obi200, can one call the other automatically just by picking up the phone?

Started by onepolarbear, December 15, 2017, 09:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onepolarbear

let's say I have two identical Obi200 devices and each is conected to a corded phone...

is it possible to set it up so one will call the other automatically just by picking up the phone's handset?  (like airport courtesy phones that rings the operator as soon as you pick it up, without having to dial anything.. actually those phones don't even have keypads to begin with)

Thanks!

drgeoff

Yes, very easy if both OBis have a connection to the internet.

Every Obi has a 9 digit Obi number, usually on a label on the underside.  On one or both (as desired) OBi set up a hot-line or warm-line to call the other.  Insert
<:**9123456789>|
immediately after the opening ( of the PHONE port Digit Map using the actual 9 digit number of the other OBi in place of the 123456789.  The **9 prefix means to call over the Obitalk network.

If you want a warm-line that gives you a few seconds to manually dial another number or to replace the handset if taken off the hook accidentally, insert
<S4:**9123456789>|
That gives 4 seconds before automatically calling.  Change the 4 for other values of delay.

onepolarbear

Quote from: drgeoff on December 15, 2017, 09:33:23 AM
Yes, very easy if both OBis have a connection to the internet.

THANK YOU!!!   :)

I can't believe how easy it was. I've wanted to set up a hotline
phone line this since I was a little kid. :)

If I do not want device #1 to make or receive calls from the
outside world(except calling device #2 by simply picking up the
handset), which of the following setting do I use?  It currently
works fine with the first one, which is much shorter.

(<:**9123456789>|)

(<:**9123456789>|[1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|911|**0|***|#|##|**8(Mbt)|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**3(Msp3)|**4(Msp4)|**8(Mli)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

drgeoff

The first one, but you should remove the | so that it reads
(<:**9123456789>)
The | is a separator between "rules".  As you only have one rule, you don't need the separator.

To not receive any calls set the X_InboundCallRoute to {} for any of the SPs that are configured. And InboundCallRoute for Obitalk if appropriate.

onepolarbear

Quote from: drgeoff on December 15, 2017, 03:12:35 PM
The first one, but you should remove the | so that it reads
(<:**9123456789>)
The | is a separator between "rules".  As you only have one rule, you don't need the separator.

To not receive any calls set the X_InboundCallRoute to {} for any of the SPs that are configured. And InboundCallRoute for Obitalk if appropriate.

they currently work fine... if I pick up the handset on one, the
other one rings almost immediately(and vice versa)... but will
this continue to work if these two Obi200 devices end up in
two different countries? (both connected to the internet, of course)

Thanks again! :)

drgeoff

Yes will work fine between different countries, except where blocked by a government or ISP.  The Obitalk network uses non-standard ports so not as susceptible to deliberate blocking as SIP.

GPz1100

You can use a sip service like callcentric to make free calls to other callcentric users.

https://www.callcentric.com/how/

The concept is similar to obitalk-obtalk calls except the credentials for the CC accounts have to be configured on both devices.  Could probably even use a single account, just define multiple extensions.