News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 keeps reverting to 3.1.1 Build 5463EX

Started by brookb, December 16, 2017, 09:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brookb

Have two Obi202s, one with Google Voice.  Latest firmware is 3.2.1.  GV seems to get unconnected and won't connect, which is a known problem with 3.1.1 due to old GV certificates in the 3.1.1 release.  Obitalk status shows yellow triangle indicating out-of-date firmware.  I can look at firmware version and verify it is 3.1.1.  I then click on the yellow triangle to update, and it updates from 3.1.1 to 3.2.1, and then GV connects OK.  Checking status shows that it truly is at 3.2.1.  But the next day, GV is disconnected again, and when I check the status, the OBI202 has reverted back to 3.1.1 firmware. 

I set up my Auto-Provisioning settings to "Periodically" rather than the default of "Disabled".  I thought that was a good way to keep the device up-to-date.  The 'default' box is check for the FirmwareURL on Obitalk, and on the actual OBI, it says that the URL for downloading new firmware is http://www.obihai.com/firmware/OBi2-latest.fw.

Doing a little debugging, I manually downloaded OBi2-latest.fw from that URL, and looked at it with a hex editor.  This firmware file shows that it is 3.1.1, build 5463EX.  Shouldn't this be downloading 3.2.1 instead?   I think OBI has the wrong firmware file available for download at http://www.obihai.com/firmware/OBi2-latest.fw, and that is why my OBi (and likely a few others) keeps reverting back to 3.1.1

Anyway, now I'm thinking that the OBI202 may be getting updated to new firmware by 2 methods: 1) via the Auto-Firmware-Update I enabled, which updates, incorrectly, to 3.1.1, and 2) by ITSP provisioning from ObiTalk portal, which updates, correctly, to 3.2.1.  I originally didn't think that ITSP provisioning would update the firmware (which is why I enabled the Auto-Firmware-Update), but based on the symptoms I'm seeing, this is the only thing that seems to make sense.

Anyway, I've disabled the Auto_Firmware-Update, and we'll see if that resolves the problem.  Will the firmware stay at 3.2.1 as it should?   Will the firmware auto-update from an ITSP provisioning PUSH the next time the firmware is updated (e.g. to 3.3.1)?

Regardless of all of this, I think that the firmware file being served at http://www.obihai.com/firmware/OBi2-latest.fw is the wrong version.  Since most people have Auto-Firmware-Update set to disabled, it's probably not a big deal for them.  But for those of us who thought enabling that was the only way to have our firmware be automatically kept up-to-date, having the 3.1.1 version of firmware at that site results in a toggling back and forth between 3.2.1 and 3.1.1.

Hopefully Obihai can address this and put the true latest firmware at http://www.obihai.com/firmware/OBi2-latest.fw   . . .

brookb

OK, so brief update.  So far, over several reboots, Obi202s have stayed at 3.2.1 now that I've disabled the "Auto Firmware Update".  Hopefully this will remain so.

Also, I theorized in my earlier post that "ITSP Provisioning" might be updating my Obi to the true latest version (3.2.1).  I now realize that it might actually be "OBITalk provisioning" or maybe even "LUA script provisioning" that is doing that.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find good documentation on what these items actually do.  If someone has a good definition what the "Provisioning" settings mean, and what features/settings are changed/updated when each of these is 'provisioned' for ITSP, LUA, and OBItalk Provisioning, it would be helpful.  Also, it would be great if someone can explain what is in the typical "LUA script", and how that is used in the Obihai.

drgeoff

Keep the auto firmware update disabled.  Obihai have not updated the "latest.fw" to point to the actual latest firmware.  It is (at the time I type this) pointing to 5463EX whereas the GV certificate issue now requires at least 5757EX.

WelshPaul

For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

brookb

Thanks guys.  What you're saying confirms what I thought - that Obihai has not correctly updated the latest firmware at  http://www.obihai.com/firmware/OBi2-latest.fw , which is why my system would 'revert' back to 3.1.1 5463EX, which is a build which apparently doesn't always work with Google Voice (depending upon the server it connects to).

I disabled the firmware auto-update yesterday.  It's been over 24 hours now, and my system has not reverted as it did previously.  I saw in the syslog logs that it did perform a connection to check config and firmware versions.  For config, it indicated "Same version: skipped"  For firmware , it performed a HTTPS query to www.obitalk.com (didn't indicate the full URL), and got a '200' (OK) response, which I assume means that the current firmware is up-to-date, because it didn't download a new firmware image.

I wonder if the folks at obihai pay much attention to these forums.  I checked the latest download again and it is still 3.1.1.  I just submitted a ticket with them to see if they will update it (more for other users than me, as I've already resolved by disabling auto-firmware-update).

drgeoff

Obihai have a very sporadic record of attending to forum issues.  For example the link to the latest OB1x0 firmware has been broken (returns a 404) for months.