News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi100 Started Working Again. Anyone Else?

Started by jama, December 19, 2017, 10:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jama

So my 100 stopped working about two weeks ago. I left it plugged in and yesterday it rang. It's still working today. Anyone else's 1xx series working again?

drgeoff

Yes, I have an idle OBi110 which is showing "connected" again today.

Kage

Same here, my obi100 is connected again. Hope it stays. 

azrobert

billsimon

Are you able to tell which Google Talk server (IP address) your device is connected to?

WelshPaul

Are these devices still running firmware 1.3.0 (Build: 2886)? I highly doubt that OBIHAI gave in and pushed a firmware update but worth checking!
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

jama

Quote from: WelshPaul on December 19, 2017, 10:53:58 AM
Are these devices still running firmware 1.3.0 (Build: 2886)? I highly doubt that OBIHAI gave in and pushed a firmware update but worth checking!

Yes, mine is still running 1.3.0 (Build: 2886).

drgeoff

Quote from: WelshPaul on December 19, 2017, 10:53:58 AM
No. Still 2886.

PCDoctor

yeah mines working too.. spent a week figuring out a replacement, sent obi an email saying ok i get it send the same deal and ill buy one, no reply, tried that gateway thing and he was flooded and had to stop taking people, personally is feel better if he charged more... got ready to put it all in a box and noticed it was working...  firmware 2886... im poking around in the device page, cant find where its conected... i dont trust it.. im movin on, if it rings it rings, if not google voice and hangouts dialer is working fine on a nexus 5x ( it didnt work well enough on my older phones to be useable)

PCDoctor

oh, the guy that wanted to know the ip was bill.. our savior :)  hey bill, tell me what to do to find this ip and ill do it and report back... right now im just seeing my gateway... a dd-wrt router that i think i setup to do my dns.. i forget what i did or why i did it, but i think it handles dns

billsimon

I wanted to see if one of their servers is now using the older certificate authority while others are using the newer one (that the Obi100/110 can't handle). It looks like Google has switched some servers back to the old CA. For how long? Who knows?

TimAtHome

Quote from: jama on December 19, 2017, 10:23:00 AM
So my 100 stopped working about two weeks ago. I left it plugged in and yesterday it rang. It's still working today. Anyone else's 1xx series working again?

I'm a little concerned by this. Someone please help a newbie out - I've had an Obi110 for years, had some problems with it about a month ago and got the Simonics GVGW, and have had no problems ever since. It's even better than before, because my phones now show caller ID names and they didn't in the past.

So ... am I ok with my 110 + Simonics, or can I expect the rug to be pulled out any moment now?

drgeoff

Quote from: TimAtHome on December 20, 2017, 10:14:53 AM
Quote from: jama on December 19, 2017, 10:23:00 AM

I'm a little concerned by this. Someone please help a newbie out - I've had an Obi110 for years, had some problems with it about a month ago and got the Simonics GVGW, and have had no problems ever since. It's even better than before, because my phones now show caller ID names and they didn't in the past.

So ... am I ok with my 110 + Simonics, or can I expect the rug to be pulled out any moment now?
Your 110 plus Simonics is fine and will continue to be until one of:

1.  Your 110 has a hardware failure

2.  Simonics goes out of business

3.  Google makes another change that even Bill cannot overcome

4.  The end of the world

happens

I reckon the third of those is the most likely.  :)

billsimon

Quote from: TimAtHome on December 20, 2017, 10:14:53 AM

The GVGW is not affected by the changes in certificate. We keep our root certificate stores updated. The reason it seems to be fluctuating back and forth with the direct Obi 100/110 connection to GV (not GVGW) is that the Obi occasionally finds a Google XMPP server that has not been updated with the newer certificates, and connects.

TimAtHome

Thanks, all. The Simonics GVGW is wonderful and working great. I love this stuff, and really want to get into customizing my OBi, but my life right now is such that I just don't have a minute to spare to give to it. Right now I just need reliable dial tone -- and since I have that, and everything is working wonderfully, I'm happy as a clam. I hope it all keeps together until at least this spring when I can look into a newer OBi and all the wonderful things you can do with it.

Merry Christmas everyone.

azrobert

My OBi110 is an extra box that I normally have powered off. This morning I powered it on to see if GV was still working. The phone LED seemed to be off for a longer time than normal, so I logged in and checked the GV status. It was Backing Off. After a few seconds the LED turned on.   I checked the status again and it was Connected. It's like the OBi110 tried to connect to a server that only accepted the new certificate, failed and then was re-routed to a server that accepted the old certificate. Is this normal behavior? Did Google install a fix for the OB100/110? Probably wishful thinking.

I tried to reproduce the above by rebooting, but GV immediately connected. I did reproduce the above by powering off for a few minutes then powering on.

drgeoff

Quote from: azrobert on December 20, 2017, 02:05:26 PM
My OBi110 is an extra box that I normally have powered off. This morning I powered it on to see if GV was still working. The phone LED seemed to be off for a longer time than normal, so I logged in and checked the GV status. It was Backing Off. After a few seconds the LED turned on.   I checked the status again and it was Connected. It's like the OBi110 tried to connect to a server that only accepted the new certificate, failed and then was re-routed to a server that accepted the old certificate. Is this normal behavior? Did Google install a fix for the OB100/110? Probably wishful thinking.

I tried to reproduce the above by rebooting, but GV immediately connected. I did reproduce the above by powering off for a few minutes then powering on.

Ditto, more or less for me too.

Kage

Quote from: azrobert on December 20, 2017, 02:05:26 PM
My OBi110 is an extra box that I normally have powered off. This morning I powered it on to see if GV was still working. The phone LED seemed to be off for a longer time than normal, so I logged in and checked the GV status. It was Backing Off. After a few seconds the LED turned on.   I checked the status again and it was Connected. It's like the OBi110 tried to connect to a server that only accepted the new certificate, failed and then was re-routed to a server that accepted the old certificate.

The same is happening here. The middle green light blinks for a while before finally connecting. It didn't do that initially so it could be google made a change to allow the OBi100 boxes to keep working for a while with older certificates. 

jama

My 100 is still working today, it's been several days now...

SteveInWA

As I have posted elsewhere, here is what is happening:

Google has a very large number of XMPP servers spread across many US data centers for load balancing, and to connect users to the closest working server.  It is taking them a long time to update the servers.  There is currently a year-end change freeze in place, so no updates are being done.  It is entirely possible that one or more servers were previously taken offline for hardware failures, repaired, restored with an older image, and put back online.

It really, truly is pointless to look at this as any sort of death-row-sentence reprieve, or to speculate on whether or not you will be able to continue to use the 100/110 products directly with Google Voice.  The devices will stop working eventually.

I am not guessing or speculating on this.  It is based on my conversation with a Google Voice software engineer yesterday.