News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Newb Questions

Started by HamCheese, December 19, 2017, 07:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HamCheese

I apologize if this is in the wrong section, but I can't seem to find explicit answers on the ObiTalk website...

1) Do I get to keep my existing handset?
2) After I port my number to Google Voice, does this mean that I keep my original number? I don't know the answer to this question because I'm a little confused about what exactly "porting" means. Will people be able to reach my home phone by dialing the same number? Or will they have to dial a new number?

drgeoff

1.  What handset are you referring to?  Did you buy it or are you renting it.  If you are talking about an existing phone (not cellular) you unplug it (or the base station if cordless) from wherever it is now and instead plug in into the OBi box.

2.  Porting a number means that you move to a different phone service provider (landline. cableTV, cellular or whatever) but keep the same number.  Others continue to call the same number to reach you and your calls to them continue to have the same CallerID.